1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

speech problem with my son

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous in Parenting' started by kads, May 1, 2009.

1. kads

kads Senior IL'ite

Hi all
    My son who will be 5 in august n is late in speech this is what me n my husband feel as being 4.5 he is not completing his sentences and we feel that he is not able to explain us properly what he is talking .He really tries a lot but not possible for him...his listening hearing voice everything is fine.....We speak hindi at home but looking at him we started to talk with him in english as we thought he is getting puzzled between to languages .We been to speech therapist but later on knew that insurance is not covered so drop the idea as it was costing too too much....

I want to ask u ladies what should we do we r working with him hard.....we try to talk to him ....sometimes we feel that he only needs repeations of things ...but times we feel he is not getting words.

I have aslo heard about personal speech thyrapist which come home and teach kids and not very expensive or any other way u ladies know pl let me know asap...We r trying every possible way and stressed by this...before joing kindergarten in august we want him to understand and start speaking good so he is not back in class as kindergarten is sometimes challenging for kids.
    THANKS

2. sweet_jindagi

sweet_jindagi New IL'ite

hi
    i can understand your problem very well becoz same thing is happening with my son who will be 4 in september... so we talked to his pedia and he told us about early intervention program and we started that when he was 2.5 year old but stopped when he was three becoz we went to india for 3 months... now he is speaking but his words are not clear and he can't make proper sentences... so we are having a talk with this early intervention program about this issue... its totally free... find this in your area and if you couldn't find one then have a talk with your area school district... now your son is going to join kindergarten then also have a talk with that school as our pedia told us that they also provide language and speech therapist.

we also speaks hindi at home and tried talking in english with him, at the start he showed some progress but now the same old thing so now we are trying for his speech therapy...

Last edited: May 1, 2009
  3. pinky2

pinky2 Bronze IL'ite

Dear Kads,

I can understand your feelings. Our friends' kid who'll be three in August didn't talk a word till two yrs of her age.When they consulted the pedi, they recommended speech therapist and they came home once a week and its a free government service.Now she goes to pre-school and with this therapy she can says lots of words,says alphabets,numbers in English and in her mother tongue too and sings 'Happy Birthday' Songs.
    so try to get some speech therapist thru your Pedi's recommendation who can treat for free in your area.

If you need any more information reg. this, I can get it from my friend for you. PM to me.

4. veen

veen Senior IL'ite

Hi

I can relate your problem. I do hv a special need son who is getting all the therapies at school.

Please contact yr. Pediatrican explain the problem & get the speech evaluation done. Ask yr. Pediatrician about enrolling into Early Intervetion therapies. Please contact your School District. The telephone no. of school district found in Telephone Directory or google it for county/District/State. You may hv to make lot of calls to different people to get right person, if you persist someone will guide you.

The Early intervention therapists use to come home to do therpy for my son. It is funded by the govt. they never use to charge for the services.

The repeatations of words is common among young children. Kids learn by repeating & imitating others.I suggest you to read him lot of books, tell him stories. Read the words & ask him to repeat it , this helps. If you hv children in the neighbourhood allow him to interact with them ie. best way to learn. If he likes watching Dora, Dieago, Barney & friends cartoon programs .. it helps wd pick up lot of words.

Please don't worry he will pick up once he gets proper therapy. But it is very important if he requires thearpy you should provide it somehow.

If you need further help send me PM to me.

Take care
    veen