1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Speech/langauge development in children - questions/advice

Discussion in 'Toddlers' started by partha, Nov 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Amicable

Amicable Senior IL'ite

Hi SLV...

Thank you for sparing your precious time for me. I am somewhat relieved that that my son is on a right path. He does need a lots of help building his social skills strong. I also feel that because of my introvert nature, he is not getting chance to go out much and meet people. Now from onward I will defintly take more intiative and work on as you have adviced.

Appriciate your advice, in favour I can not give you anything except my blessings for helping us on this forum. I mean how many people spare their time and help strangers at no cost. Thank you again from bottom of my heart.

Regards
    A

2. Vishalini3

Vishalini3 Silver IL'ite

SLV, Thanks a ton, for taking your time :) By being descriptive in narrations, you mean to say, instead of naming a TRAIN, i can instead say chooo-choooo TRAIN, it goes chooo-choooo-chuk-chuk and see if he is picking up these sounds, in the place of TRAIN? Instead of a DOG, i can say DOG says bow-bow,... where is the dog? And enact a dog barking? Donkey braying?? I dono if i am doing the right thing. I have had a daughter before, who talked more than 20words when she was a yr old, so i am so used up with this verbal communication, that, I am learning hard all the non-verbal communication :bonk

3. SLV

SLV Gold IL'ite

Thanks a lot Ami, that was very very kind of you.
    Its a pleasure if my knowledge could help those in need.
    Am enjoying being a part of this forum too.

Don't worry, take it easy. Am sure it'll get better.

Good Luck!

4. SLV

SLV Gold IL'ite

Oh...please don't feel guilt. No parent or no parenting strategy is ever wrong. Everything you try and do for/with your child is always helping your child learn better. So please don't worry.

I know i wasn't clear there when i said "be descriptive". Its about introducing new words and/ reinforcing the use of known words in a meaningful context.
    Let me give you an example.Say you and your child are playing with a car. Now that's the center of attention for both of you isn't it? Now you could use this opportunity to add more words to your child's vocabulary.

"Its a nice red car. (colors) Which color is Pappa's car and...which color is Uncle's car and so on...
    Pappa is taking out his car to go to work. Is (child's name) also going with Pappa, can i get a lift in the car too?...you can go on expanding on this.
    Wow....see how Fast the car goes. (adjectives or any such concepts you wish to teach). The wheels move so Fast . It has 4wheels (numbers), two in the front, two at the back (prepositions)"

You may feel he is too young to be learning these concepts, you don't need to teach them as concepts, i have just given an example. You can just keep talking, the child will pick up what he wants and then make sure/ help him use the words that you have used with him. You are sure to get immense opportunities as these throughout the day. Be sure to make the best of them.

Hope i have made myself clear here.
    Good Luck!

Last edited: Jan 28, 2011
  5. Vishalini3

Vishalini3 Silver IL'ite

SLV, Thankyou soo much, I shall do all this and come back :)

6. abhilashapawar

abhilashapawar New IL'ite

dear SLV,my son is two and half yrs old and he says only mama,papa,dede,aaja and nana.he likes listening music and dances on tunes. he is going to a playschool since 3 months . he points out finger when he wants something.the teacher in playschool has taught some rhymes. when i say those rhymes, he does all the actions.but my problem is that he is not speaking. i am talking to him whole day.he was a premature underweight child. he is still underweight(10 kgs) only.suffers from viral fever,cold and cough every now and then.he also started walking late(at about 18 months). pls help me..

Last edited: Feb 8, 2011
  7. SLV

SLV Gold IL'ite

Hi,
    From your description, i do get a feeling that he is taking time in reaching his milestones. Yes, there is a slight delay, but considering the fact that he was premature and related concerns, i feel he may catch up.

Now how you could help is:
    Make sure you talk to him giving him a lot of new words in meaningful contexts. By this i mean- For ex: if you wish to teach him a color, say 'Blue'. Show him things that are blue in and around his environment, dress up in blue, go for a walk and help him identify things in that color (At this point don't ask him to differentiate between blue and say, red. That's another step).
    So like this, keep introducing words, make sure he is understanding their meanings. It is very important that he understands the meanings of the words he is listening to. Am sure with all the talking and motivation you give him, he is sure to pick up.

You can relax, wait and watch for another 3months. Keep noting the changes every fortnight- is he understanding new words?? Is he attempting new words?? and check after 3months for progress. You can take a call then whether you would need to seek professional help.
    Its also good to check and keep his pediatrician in the loop and keep them updated about his status and progress. It can definitely be quite reassuring.

Relax and Enjoy your Parenthood. Good Luck!

8. soumya234

soumya234 Platinum IL'ite

Wow SLV :bowdownI love your great explanations.If you can analyse and give solutions virtually this clear, I just can visualize how positive it must be to hear for parents when they meet you :bowdown:bowdown

9. SLV

SLV Gold IL'ite

That's a great compliment. Thanks a ton Soumya :bowdown
    Honestly i have enjoyed what i have studied, i enjoy my job and if i can help.....i did love to.

Thanks a lot!!

Last edited: Feb 9, 2011
  10. Aditi203

Aditi203 New IL'ite

hi..im dealing with same problem . my son is 2yrs old n just says bye,jai n fan..though he understands things n shows fingers ,fan n nose when asked..but doesn't speak..do suggest wat to do!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.