1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Speech Delay Toddler

Discussion in 'Toddlers' started by memeera1234, Mar 10, 2021.

1. memeera1234

memeera1234 Gold IL'ite

Hello All,

My daughter will turn 3 this month end. She clearly has a vocabulary of 300-400+words. She knows A to Z alphabets, numbers 1-10, able to identify animals, birds, fruits, veggies etc. In October 2020, we took her to a paediatrician who suggested us to a therapy centre for speech delay issues. The problem with her is that she has interaction issued. She doesn't like to/ can't interact with people around her or for that matter express any of her needs. The psychologist at therapy center diagnosed few asd symptoms and since then we had been taking her for psychotherapy, speech and Occupational therapy sessions. There has been considerable improvement in her behaviour and she is almost out of the spectrum as per psychologist. She has also started a bit of functional communication like she asks for things she wants now in 2 word phrases. I.e. give water, give puzzles etc. Toileting needs and such other she is yet to start expressing. All suggested putting her in preschool would help but since Covid issues, schools are not admitting students for one on one interaction. I was thinking of getting her admitted to daycare. Please suggest would it be good. Also the current speech therapist is not very effective. Looking for speech therapist recommendations in Navi Mumbai area.

P.S. a quick note on her background- She is a child born to us 11 years after marriage. A over protected child with very less social interaction and hours and hours of screen exposure. I believe sometimes she will get ok once I keep her away from me for sometime. Because I never made her ask anything, left my job and attended to her so much that she never learnt to express herself.

messedup likes this.

2. messedup

messedup Platinum IL'ite

You know the problem and this is the exact thing you need to work on. No other treatment is required. This is a very common issue with over pampered children. Give her some time to speak and try not to give her anything unless she asks for it.

3. DDream

DDream Finest Post Winner

Don't worry she will be fine. If its bilingual home,there can be delay. My son started talking well after 4yrs. Make her to talk more even when she need to use toilet. Also allow her to play and interact with other kids. If you are so worried, a speech therapist can help. I didn't have any problem with younger one, she was good even at 2yrs. Interactions with her helped my son a lot. So it depends on the kid. Talk to her more and encourage/ reward her when she speaks. When you are providing every thing why she need to talk. So take a step back and allow her to express herself