1. What Movie Did You Watch Today? : Post Here
    Dismiss Notice

Special Programmes on festival days.

Discussion in 'TV' started by sujathae, Nov 6, 2007.

1. sujathae

sujathae Senior IL'ite

Dear Ilites, Yesterday i and my husband were sitting before the idiot box and were watching some program in sun TV. They were advertising abt the programmes to be telecast on Deepavali day. All the programmes were related to movie stars/movies themselves. this TV being a mass media why shouldn't they try to teach something good for the younger generation. All the time they show only movies and movie related programmes and on festival days it becomes more. Why shouldn't they show something that will be useful for children. Those days when TV came into being for the first time there was only one movie in a week and movie songs were telecast only once in a week. And it used to be very nice. But now it is so horrible that whenever we switch on the TV it is either serials or movies or movie related programmes. Too much of anything is poisonous. Why this younger generation should be glued to this idiot box which shows all imaginary things most of the time? Is it not the duty of the Mass Media to educate the people? Aren't they spoiling the future generation? Why don't they give a thought to it. My husband was arguing that it was because of the TRP ratings that they telecast such programmes and they get income only if they show these programmes. SUN TV group being such a powerful organisation, why shouldn't they devote a channel exclusively for educating the children and putting them in the right path. What this children are going to achieve by being glued to this TV which shows these movie programmes all the time. Dear friends, pls let me have your views.

2. ridgemma

ridgemma Gold IL'ite

Hi Sujatha
    when switching channels yesterday, I stopped in Podhigai where there was a program called "Veetukku Veedu Deepavali".The program showed how Diwali is celebrated in Tamilnadu, andhra, punjab, rajasthan,karnataka. The anchor goes to the home where the house lady explains what are the nuances while celebrating Diwali.I found a very interesting custom in Rajasthan ( I think), where they perform "bed puja" in the early morning of Diwali.they will put new bed spread and they will treat bed as aholy thing and take care that they don't place their feet in bed.

And in Punjab, the kids of the house will display a shop in the house and the household ppl will buy goods from kids. If the earnings on the day were good, the whole year will be bestowed with good money.

I enjoyed the show. When every channel was casting only filmi faces, this was different with the people, who were like our next door neighbours.

I feel, there are a lot of good shows. May be we have to explore and watch healthy programs.

3. Sriniketan

Sriniketan IL Hall of Fame

what you and your husband talking about the programmes during the festival days is absolutely true, Sujatha!
    We also have the same opinion. my husband doesn't watch Suntv at all. It is my mil who watches it.
    Truely the movies shown on those days also were not so good which shows only violence a lot, maybe to show that even in film industry 'good wins over the evil':bangcomp:

we have no other choice either to watch it or switch it off!

sriniketan

4. sujathae

sujathae Senior IL'ite

Dear Ridgemma, Thanks for your comments. I too watched the program on podhigai and it was worth watching. we come to know abt various customs and traditions followed in different states. To be appreciated. Programmes explaining the importance of the festivals will definitely help the younger generation to understand the significance of the festival.

5. sujathae

sujathae Senior IL'ite

Dear Sri, thanks for peeping in. Yes we donot have any other alternative either to watch the nonsense or switch it off. I mostly opt to switch it off. Atleast in the earlier days sun tv used to show programmes and movies related to the festival but now it is too bad.

6. kanaka Raghavan

kanaka Raghavan IL Hall of Fame

I too agree with you Sujathea.There is hardly any programme worth watching.There is a comp between channels as to who relays more number of cine related programmes.Compared to other channels Podigai gives some worh while programmes.

7. sujathae

sujathae Senior IL'ite

Dear Kanaka, Thanks for your reply. Hope u get to watch Makkal TV. There were some real good programmes in the channel on Diwali day. Kutralla Kuravanji Dance drama was excellent. Some channels like this should come up to push the Sun TV out from the TRP ratings. Only then they will realize.

8. sujakalyan

sujakalyan Silver IL'ite

hi sujatha and others,

I want to step in here with a different comment, as im staying in gulf have this problem. Most of the channels show all entertainment stuff right form morning and start showing movie after 5pm which will go till the end of the day. When we get back from office we'll be forced to watch only that movie with 100 breaks. We will be fortunate if the festivals fall on fridays.

Here in gulf 50% of indians stay away from the family for work and earning purpose and tv is the only entertaining source for them. In these circumstances, media can consider NRIs needs and show the movie in afternoons and entertainemnt in the evening.

Once during my visit to India, I even spoke to sun tv customer realtion staff and put this request. You'll be stunned to know the response. Sun tv guy replied, " we are not worried about you NRIs we'll focus only on the requirements of crores of tamil mass in Tamil Nadu". I did not expect such a kind of customer relation from a strong media like sun tv. Now you can realise the success behind Asianet for having branches in most of the countries.