1. Interested in Natural Skin Care Solutions?: Check Here
    Dismiss Notice

Spearmint tea?

Discussion in 'Body Care' started by suvbi, Jan 31, 2010.

1. suvbi

suvbi New IL'ite

Hi Ladies,

Recently, there have been many articles about spearmint tea and it's benefits toward unwanted hair.

You can use a search engine like Google to look up more articles about spearmint tea in your own time.

One of the articles that I have read stated that the tea lowered hormone levels in 2 weeks, so I, personally, decided to give the tea a try.

I haven't been drinking it religiously, but I try to drink it twice a day.

I myself haven't seen any results on my face, but I think there is an effect on my body hair. I usually epilate my legs, and I have noticed that the hair is growing back A LOT slower, like 2 weeks slower.

Consider spearmint tea as something to look up if you need help for unwanted hair! If anyone is going to try this, please update us on how well it works.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 1, 2010

2. Dr4help

Dr4help Junior IL'ite

Hi Suvbi..i googled spearmint tea and saw good work of it for body hair. Is it d same as pudina? How much does it cost? And where is it available? I mean can we get this in grocery shop? Thanks for such valuable information.

3. suvbi

suvbi New IL'ite

Hi!

Actually, I've never heard of Pudina for body hair (that doesn't mean it doesn't work, I have just never heard of it!)

I live in the U.S and I found spearmint tea at a local store, Target. It was only about three dollars, and the tea wasn't a combination (like spearmint and mint..etc). It was only spearmint tea.

It depends on where you live, but I believe that most groceries carry spearmint tea, otherwise you can try natural health stores like GNC.
    There are also many sites that are online that can ship around the world. Republic of Tea is one such company, but I think that they cost a little bit more.

Here is more information about Spearmint Tea from ScienceBlog:

*A key way to treat excess body hair is to reduce the level of masculine androgen hormones.

* "Research shows that drinking two cups of spearmint tea a day for five days could reduce the level of androgens in women with hirsutism."

* "In the trials the herbal tea was made by pouring a cup (250ml) of boiling water over 1 heaped teaspoon (5g) of dried leaves, and leaving it for 5 to 10 mins"

* Researchers first started thinking about spearmint tea for Hirsutism because in a previous study, it decreased libido in men.

I'm trying to find out more information on it, and I will post it here if I do find anything new!

4. suvbi

suvbi New IL'ite

ALso, I misread the question. Pudina is mint and not the same thing as spearmint. They are two diff. Herbs.

5. tashidelek2002

tashidelek2002 IL Hall of Fame

Is it really a good idea to be lowering hormone levels like this? There are a lot of products out now that you can use topically like skin creams, deodorants....isn't this a better route than ingesting a hormone lowering item. Also, androgen levels in women are tied to libido......is there any findings that this lowers libido?

I personally hate the taste of spearmint so if I was as hairy as an ape (which I am not thank God) I would not use this.

6. suvbi

suvbi New IL'ite

That is a good point! What I was thinking of is that since Spearmint tea is not a concentrated amount of whatever chemical that it is in Spearmint that lowers androgen levels, it wouldn't be like taking a pill to control your hormones!

I think it just affects male libido, that is why it was suggested as a test for lowering those same male hormones in females.

Please don't take my thoughts as the scientific explanation on any of these though, I just wanted to share that my body hair has decreased significantly since I have started drinking spearmint tea, and I personally have no history of having Hirsutism or hormone imbalance.

7. tashidelek2002

tashidelek2002 IL Hall of Fame

Subvi:
    Androgens are also connected to libido in women...not just men. Also, if your hair is diminishing, wouldn't the hair on your head also diminish? I can't see that its going to be selective in just leaving where you want it to leave. Well, let us know the results of your spearmint experiments.

8. suvbi

suvbi New IL'ite

The only explanation I can think of regarding the hair on head is that unwanted facial hair is associated with androgen stimulated follicles?, which is why the folicles are overractive I producing the hair. But the hair on your head is entirely independent of that? That is what other people have suggested on other forums!

I will keep y'all posted on the experiment. :)

9. dale91

dale91 Senior IL'ite

Spearmint tea is too strong for me..would want to mess with that...but i came upon this "hairwaxingsecrets" on google and it's really great...simple home tips that yields favorable result...try it...:thumbsup