1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Soya -- Oj's Witless Brevity 7

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by ojaantrik, Jul 4, 2016.

1. ojaantrik

ojaantrik IL Hall of Fame

Hi Rihana. What about the drops that remain hidden in ones' memory? And they can refuse to bring respite even if even if hidden under badges. Those naughty droplets. The smaller the worse.

oj

kaniths and Rihana like this.
  2. ojaantrik

Sorry Magician. I had fallen asleep and saw this post just now in the morning. Why shouldn't "iro iro na" ningen be a part of this forum? Of course they are here and the variety possibly constitutes the spice of IL.

Incidentally, my smart phone is Japanese language enabled and that's what I had used to write my half forgotten Japanese. I fell in love with with the language and even managed to publish articles in Japanese journals. But I admit that the long separation is slowly damaging my association with the language. I don't know how interested you are in writing Japanese, but MS Word allows you to type in Japanese if you feel like it.

Btw, that person in my thread was probably not Japanese. He could have been Chinese I guess, but I think he was most likely an Indian. :)

Best regards.

oj

Last edited: Jul 5, 2016
  3. kaniths

kaniths IL Hall of Fame

Two Girls. One Protagonist. A Soy Sause.

I tried to add one more element to the equation but it didn't feel right or seemed to make your protagonist a not so nice person, so I deleted it. If you like to know, I replied something like...

"Any stain is still fine as long as its not lipstick!" (no peace of mind ever, after that!) :oops:

ojaantrik likes this.
  4. ojaantrik

Ah! I see what you mean. But my story involved only a man who enjoyed his sushi and recalled a village girl sitting far away and then noticed yet another girl nearby with whom he interacted briefly, yet he remembered her for the rest of his life. Some people forget, some don't. Life is an art museum I guess for some people. As you walk down the aisle, you see paintings hanging on the wall. You like one painting and continue to think about it, till you suddenly come across yet another one and your attention shifts. For reasons you can never be quite sure, some effects are permanent. But the whole process is mental, not physical.

oj

jskls and kaniths like this.
  5. Agatha83

Agatha83 IL Hall of Fame

Dear oja,

Your flash fiction is creating ripples among the IL community. May be for creative people, there may be long story hiding behind those few lines, but for me it is a blank. I am google searching to get the hang of haiku stories so that I will be in a knowledgeable position to comment on your work.

Agatha83

shyamala1234 and ojaantrik like this.
  6. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

@Agatha83
    Flash fiction is THE term! I have been rummaging the contents of my brain for a suitable word for OJ's latest style of writing. Thank you for your help. His Witless Brevity has truly awakened the creative madness in people who see meaning in everything. I also belong to the school that thinks that there is nothing in the world that serves no purpose and no written or spoken word is without meaning. So as OJ's Witless Brevity keeps shrinking, his fans like me tax our brains more and more. We belong to a country that writes volumes of 'bashyam' (commentary) on terse one liners of Vedas and Upanishads. For instance, the opening word of Rig Veda 'अग्निमीळे' has been commented upon by numerous scholars. With this tradition in our blood, we deal with OJ's Witless Brevity with great gusto. To seek meaning from seemingly meaningless statements requires a bit of a mental faculty bordering on creative madness. When Picasso started his drawings, people close to him gave him up as crazy but he rose to become a legend! So, don't google for help if you want to write a 'bashyam' for Witless Brevity. Just read him a few times and go into meditation!
    Sri

ojaantrik likes this.
  7. ojaantrik

Thank you Agatha83.

oj

8. shyamala1234

shyamala1234 Platinum IL'ite

I am with you Agatha.....clueless!
    Syamala

vaidehi71 and ojaantrik like this.
  9. ojaantrik

Thank you shyamala1234. Here is a full story by Lydia Davis:

Lydia Davis won the Man Booker International Prize in 2013. You can google her out. Here is another quote about her style:

Like Ekalavya, I have decided to learn writing from her. I don't think she will ever know me, nor will I suffer Ekalavya's fate.

oj

shyamala1234 likes this.
  10. kaniths

kaniths IL Hall of Fame

The person in the story seems to mind a little too much about a stained spot while rest of the minds here are talking about their spotless states (being blank that is)... Irony? :)

Last edited: Jul 5, 2016
    padma0604 and ojaantrik like this.