1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

Source of Protein in Vegetarian diet

Discussion in 'Indian Diet & Nutrition' started by kAlyaniShAnti, May 16, 2010.

1. kAlyaniShAnti

kAlyaniShAnti IL Hall of Fame

Dear Ladies,

I am immensely benefited by the posts over here on diets and nutrition.

The problem here is I suffer from ulcerative colitis, for which I am advised to avoid milk and milk-products, but to be on high protein diet. So I avoid drinking milk, excepting taking curd when in remission period of the disease. The normal sources of protein for me are lentils and beans. I also have started a protein supplement offlate (powdered protein based on soya).

Can anyone help me out as to how much protein one should intake and how to get adequate protein from veg diet?

Thank you all in advance and love

2. ALPA

ALPA Platinum IL'ite

HI dear,

i would be wise to go to a clinical nutritionist and tell her or him what you suffer from so they can plan out a whole diet plan for you to follow and also they will be able to guide you more on your protien intake.

hope it helps and also google to get more information.

love
    alpa:cheers

3. sabarimathi

sabarimathi Gold IL'ite

hi kalyanishanti,

for a veg diet,

1. b'fast - idli , dosa, pongal, with a dhal based chutney. Note that idli , pongal also have enough amt of proteins in the form of moong dhal or urad dhal.

2. lunch - chappathi with rajma or any lentil curry, and a cup or veg.
    rice with thick sambhar filled with veg . A gravy of veg with soya chunks [ called mealmaker ] or any lentil say dry or fresh peas, chick peas, or whatever.

Coming to th eamt, take equal amts of chappathi, veg and proteins. By that i mean, if u take a cup of rice [measure and take ], take 1 cup each of veg and protein . Since, u're told to avoid milk products i'm not suggesting curd. But , u said that u are taking curd occasionally ; so it's upto y'r discretion.

3. for dinner - go for a non- filling one. some tiffin varieties like bansi rava idli or dosa, oats dosa, ragi based tiffin .

Remember that protein based foods take a long time to digest . Although non-filling , they don't make u lethargic or tired either.

hope it helps.

Can u also tell me abt the dietary management of colitis . it may be of use to many others.

4. tashidelek2002

tashidelek2002 IL Hall of Fame

About the dairy sensitivity......I want to tell you what happened with my dairy sensitivity. Back in 97 on my first trip to India I was put on anti malarial medicine and by the time I got to India I was feeling really good. Got back to the states, did the four weeks post trip meds and then stopped. When I stopped I was feeling bad again and dairy sensitivity was back. I called my doc and he did the fecal tests and they called me even before the cultures were finished time wise as I was over run with humanis blastocystis. The is normally considered a normal resident of the intestines in that most people can throw it off but apparently I could not. (I am quite certain that I had it for about ten years.) They put me on Yodoxin for 21 days (no side effects, nothing) and after I finished I had no dairy sensitivity. To date I am not having trouble with dairy.

5. kAlyaniShAnti

Dear Sabari,

Thanks a lot for your suggestions. I'll get back to you regarding the diet management for colitis.

Regards

6. kAlyaniShAnti

Dear Tashi,

nice to know that u are doing well now. God bless u

7. kAlyaniShAnti

Thanks Alpa, I'll do that

8. sabarimathi

sabarimathi Gold IL'ite

kalyani,

pls don't mention. Sure waiting for y'r dietary advises on the topic.

9. kAlyaniShAnti

Dear Sabari,

I'm late in response as I was a bit busy for the last few days.

I have been suffering from UC since 1992... It is different from colitis and so also the diet regime. There is no prognosis of the disease, nor any well-established reason for its occurrence. But in my case, I have seen my average remission period in 2-3.5 yrs. Mainly it relapses when I am under utmost worry and anxiety.

The do's and don'ts are here

Do's
    1. High protein diet
    2. Less spicy and less oily food (I switch over to boiled stuff for initial few months for bringing it under control, whenever it relapses)
    3. Folic acid supplement (as blood loss is associated with it)
    4. Keep off anxieties as much as possible

Don'ts
    1. Milk and all dairy products (but in remission period can take curd)
    2. Greens like spinach etc (which is generally advised for colitis patients)

Nothing much. I guess this varies from patient to patient. There are people who are advised to avoid beans (which is a rich source of protein!)

Hope it helps!

10. kAlyaniShAnti

Dear Sabari,

Could you please tell me what is oats dosa and how to make it?

Thanks