1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Sorry Saree!

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by GeetaKashyap, Feb 22, 2018.

1. jayasala42

jayasala42 IL Hall of Fame

Dear Geetha Madam,
    A wonderful take on sarees!As you have described the evolution of sarees over a period of time is very interesting.
    Definitely the picture of a girl in saree is reflective of her Indian association first, though many in Ceylon, Singapore, Bangkok also wear sarees. Though originally Saree was intended as 'Three in one-( Under middle and upper) many things have changed after British and Mughal invasions.
    Time and again it has been proved beyond doubt that saree is no longer a mere piece of long cloth, but it is well connected to the glory of India-the ancient, current and the future.
    Now we have pre draped sarees suited to all occasions, and it takes just 5 mts to put on the saree.Even the community specific sarees are available( made to order) to enable women to wear the same during poojas and ceremonies.
    Now a days everything is'Modi'-fied and saree is no exception.Hope this also shall pass.
    Jayasala 42

Thyagarajan and GeetaKashyap like this.
  2. nandinimithun

nandinimithun IL Hall of Fame

Geets,
    Thats a lovely post about sarees....
    Saree for me means grace and elegance....
    Like most of the attires, over the years saree has seen many makeovers too....

The only time when i ever bought a saree for myself was during my wedding, and since then havent bougbt a single saree, because i dont use them regularly and i dont like to hoard them....
    I keep using the same 8-10sarees that i have. I love how some women wear and carry the saree with grace and beauty....
    Saree, salwar, jeans or skirt, whichever attire a woman wears, when people stop judging or keep giving unwanted suggestions, a woman will wear what she really loves, than what she is expected to.....
    Sorry for the lengthy post geets

Sunburst, Sandycandy and GeetaKashyap like this.
  3. GeetaKashyap

GeetaKashyap IL Hall of Fame

@yellowmango,

Thanks for being here and sharing your opinion. Though you have referred to Sandy's post, let me share my views with you. These days anyone and everyone is a designer and by adding laces to any fabric they qualify to be in the exalted position. Personally, I don't like all those embellishments. I have hardly seen a couple of works in India which are classy and aesthetic, otherwise, it is all the meaningless glitter and copy/paste without any originality!

Sabyasachi's business is draping criminally expensive sarees and so is his focus. In that spirit, he has said those words. Lately, women do take pride in saying that they don't know basic draping of saree; on this, I share his view. Apart from that even I do believe that women must have the freedom to dress as they like. They need not be held solely responsible for carrying forward Indian tradition.

Death of lungi! LOL! See the positive here, we will be spared of unsightly displays!

4. GeetaKashyap

Thanks a lot for your valuable comments, jayasala ma'am.

Readymade sarees have indeed made saree wearing an extremely easy job. For Indian silhouettes, saree is an ideal choice.

Thyagarajan likes this.
  5. kkrish

kkrish IL Hall of Fame

@GeetaKashyap
    Nice writeup!
    I love sarees and wear them whenever I get a chance, and definitely Friday evenings, and weekends.

6. GeetaKashyap

Nandu, thanks for your comments. What is this formality of apologising for a lengthy response? It is perfectly okay to air your opinions and that's how we exchange thoughts and knowledge:)

I agree that people should be less judgemental and even women should take care to dress aptly keeping their surroundings in mind. I have also stopped buying expensive sarees. In fact, I have decided to not buy silks anymore as lakhs of silkworms are killed to make each saree!

Last edited: Feb 23, 2018
  7. GeetaKashyap

Thanks for being here, @kkrish.

It is so nice to hear about your love for wearing sarees. I started wearing sarees on a regular basis from an age of 20; I used to wear heavily starched cotton sarees! Later in the 30s, I started favouring salwar kameez; more for comfort and ease. I am now trying to get back to wearing sarees often, especially when I go out with my hubby as he prefers my saree clad look.

8. Balajee

Balajee IL Hall of Fame

Wow you can do a PhD on sari. Sari is an attire that evolved during a period when life was a lot more slow paced when women were housewives . But in the modern age with the evolution of career women it is bound to take a toss. After all you can't struggle to get into a crowded bus or suburban train in a sari. It is just not conducive for it.. In such situations Sari is sitting duck for wardrobe malfunction. It is true a graceful attire but not really suited for the hectic working life unless you have got your own car. or unless someone drops you in a bike. Also there wew myriad varieties of draping the sari but nowadays they have all dwindled to one or two styles.

9. GeetaKashyap

Very true, @Balajee Sir. Sarees and bikes also don't gel well; we have heard a million stories of horrible accidents! Sarees score undisputedly in beauty, longevity, multiple uses and flexibility. Currently, the Nivi style and the Gujarati style are more popular.

10. Sandycandy

Sandycandy IL Hall of Fame

I suspect @yellowmango has an enviable collection of sarees !
    Have to look up Ayush kejriwal .
    I seem to like raw mango sarees too but again too expensive .