1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

son freezes up when he has to do math

Discussion in 'Schoolgoers & Teens' started by DKI, Jan 22, 2014.

1. DKI

DKI Platinum IL'ite

Hi,

My son is a 5th grader. He excels in every subject in school (mostly As with a couple of Bs inbetween), is very outgoing, and always gets raving reviews from his teachers about his manners etc. The one place he is struggling is math. We have tried everything, but he cannot remember the basic math facts. When we make him do sums at home he just stares at the paper and starts shaking. This is not for every part of math though. Only when he sees multiplication sums. Last year he had a fantastic teacher in school who encouraged him a lot and made him actually say he liked the subject. This year he is back to square one.

I am worried because next year he goes to middle school and work load will increase multiplefold there. Do any of you have imaginative ways in which he can remember the basics of multiplication (fun way to learn the tables)?

2. cinderella06

cinderella06 Platinum IL'ite

1 person likes this.
  3. Rakhii

Rakhii Moderator IL Hall of Fame

DKI, my suggestion would be start from ground level by enrolling/after school studies for math. The teacher has to start from the very beginning. Is he passing all the math tests? If yes, let me assure you, it happened to me too. I used to/still do hate math but always passed. If you think he is going to fail, then yes, perhaps time to enroll him in some after school math programs until his basics are strong.

1 person likes this.
  4. DKI

DKI Platinum IL'ite

Thanks a lot Rakhii. He is enrolled in extra math classes. He does all his homework, and tests, but because he freezes, takes longer than usual to finish his tests. The first grade he gets is always a D, but after the teacher lets him resit it, he gets B. But don't want him suffering in middle school.

5. DKI

DKI Platinum IL'ite

I had enrolled him in Kumon earlier, but was not happy with the center near my place. We moved him to another learning center, where his general grades improved, but there is no way to make a kid memorize stuff. Thats what I was looking for...some way to memorize and retain the stuff he memorizes.

Thanks for the suggestion though! :)

6. racr

racr Platinum IL'ite

1 person likes this.
  7. DKI

DKI Platinum IL'ite

Thank you all for the suggestions. Another avenue we are looking at is seeing if there are any apps for the IPad. That way if we want him to do something constructive during our many loooong road trips, he may not pout. I am taking all these suggestions to use during the upcoming holidays. Yup...its 4 months away, but I know from experience that 4months can go by in a flash.

8. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

If he is already at the point of dreading the tests or the subject, try to not associate roadtrips with learning the subject.

The apps, worksheets and Kumon are good to supplement for a child who is reasonably OK in math. There seems to be a more basic problem here. I would suggest one parent go through at least a few chapters of the math textbook used in the school. After parent understands the way the concepts are explained in the book, sit with the child and both explore the book together. For about 25 minutes 4-5 times a week. In 1-2 weeks, the parent will be able to identify a few root causes of why an otherwise bright child is struggling.

A 1-1 tutor to whom parent explains what is going on, might also be a good idea, but it will take longer there to see progress. Tutor might want to work with the child for an hour minimum, and that is too long for a child who is dreading math.

Did you check if he has got the concepts right before having him do sums?

Is multiplication facts (tables) a challenge or is it application of the multiplication concept? Is it application of the multiplication concept or having to explain how he arrived at the answer? Exploring the textbook (explanation part, not just problems) with the child a few times will shed light on this.

Is the school following Common Core? Teachers might still be fine-tuning how they teach within this new system and that might be confusing your child.

2 people like this.
  9. DKI

DKI Platinum IL'ite

Thanks for the tips Rihana. The school is following common core and we are in constant communication with his math teacher. It just hurts to see him when he does his math, but that is a subject he can never escape. Give him lines to memorize for a speech or a play and he remembers everything in a very short amount of time.

10. justanothergirl

justanothergirl IL Hall of Fame

Have u tried any Ipad android apps ?
    Splash has good worksheets. Is it just multiplication he has issues with or numbers in general?

1 person likes this.