1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Son Arrested - SHAME ON DIL

Discussion in 'Relationship With In-Laws' started by mimi77, May 6, 2013.

1. mimi77

mimi77 Gold IL'ite

My friend is living in a joint family with a 3 yrs old son in India. Her husband is into various kinds of business. Very rich family with no sense of respect for the daughter in law who has always been as usual treated as an outsider. She herself is a School teacher and tries to keep busy with her life, her child and her dear students. Being educated she does not feel the necessity of forcibly creating a sense of belongingness at her PIL's house and she is definitely contented to have been blessed with good and understanding parents. This is a lil of the background

Her husband got arrested yesterday. He was supposedly in a meeting when a murder of a top official happened. Though he had no direct involvement in the murder case, but he has been arrested. My friend took her son away to her parent's house for obvious reasons.....Soon the shame and the blame game started and the DIL of the house is to be blamed for not giving enough love and support to her husband and the usual blah blah blah and this is where she is today. My question is , a son being arrested why is the DIL's character being questioned by all ???How the arrest has become such a small issue and everyone in the family is focussed on asassinating the DIL's character???..........I fail to understand, I really really fail to understand............U are welcome to throw some light on the above........

Last edited: May 6, 2013
    3 people like this.

2. ppriya182010

ppriya182010 Gold IL'ite

I dont understand why she went to her parents house? What obvious reasons? Shouldn't she be helping in-laws to get bail or something like that for her DH? Or is her parents helping her with those process?

2 people like this.
  3. mimi77

mimi77 Gold IL'ite

Obvious reasons means she is being bullied in the house and for bail etc, her involvement is not required, her influential family is enough for all this. I support her because its no point getting her 3 yr old exposed into this nonsense....What say

3 people like this.
  4. internet

internet Silver IL'ite

very true PPriya182010. She should try to support the husband and inlaws in such a diffcult situation. The one who is arrested is her husband. Instead of helping them, she left her house. Tomorrow if she happened to land in a big problem and her family and husband shun from her, then what would she talk about them?

3 people like this.
  5. Anitap

Anitap IL Hall of Fame

If a wife is arrested, will it be okay for the husband to take the kid and go to his parents's house?
    She should have sent the kid away and stayed with him.
    Even if they are influential, she should have been there for moral support.

6 people like this.
  6. Anitap

Anitap IL Hall of Fame

Looks like Internet and I have cross posted pretty much the same thing.

1 person likes this.
  7. Rakhii

Rakhii Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Unless there is more to the story, I dont think leaving her inlaws place when they need her the most is a done-thing. If she didnt want the 3 year old to be exposed to it, she could have very well sent the kid to her parents until things settle down.

Like I said, unless there is more to the story, it was pretty sad that she left when she should be standing by her husband.

1 person likes this.
  8. sweetshreya

sweetshreya IL Hall of Fame

I too feel she should have stayed. She could have asked her parents to take away her kid for some days, or left him/her with them and came back.

Yes, its cheap of her in-laws to stoop to family politics when such a serious crisis has befallen their family. Its rubbish actually. But, she is a wife before DIL and should have been helping her husband in this difficult times. I can understand her somewhat, but cannot support her wholeheartedly.

I saw this movie 'Oh My God' starring Paresh Rawal recently. Even in that movie, I was infuriated with the wife for chickening out with children to her brother's home when he needed support. But lot of women do that. I've seen it personally. They come to their parents place at the first opportunity. SIL came to her parents when her FIL had a serious accident. Her reason: what was I going to do there. I was becoming a burden only. (not judging anyone. because we never know how will we behave in the moment of crisis.)

I'm sure many will see it differently. Having children surely changes the priority. Mother before wife logic holds more true. She must have done the same.

3 people like this.
  9. helpmeangel

helpmeangel Platinum IL'ite

Mimi,

I second all the above ladies. Your friend should not have left her husband at this critical time. However he is, she should stick by him and see this thing through. She could have sent only her kid to her parent's place.

Even now there should be time.. ask her to come back and help her husband morally. Financial help would be provided by her in laws as you said. Ask her to brush aside her character assassination for the time being and concentrate on the problem at hand.

1 person likes this.
  10. KilaliAnju

KilaliAnju Guest

Their view: She left when the first time our DD really needed her and she didnt just not support she fled and dropped him like piping hot aloo not willing to support him and be there in this dark time of his life...

Her view (i take a guess from what you said): He got arrested and they are picking on me as i did that, what did i do? i need to protect my child from this nightmare of his father being in jail and family giving names to mother...i need to breeth and i wish for support in this dark time of my life...

now my silly :my2cents he wasnt involved directly in the murder but got arrested? Is your friends husband involved in some bad things? This murder thing and in different businesses and all that sound a bit fishy. To get arrested for such a case needs a bit more then he was maybe a bystander... or not? :confused2:
    Did the in laws bullied her before she left? or for the leaving? What could be a reason to bully her becoz he got arrested?? I have that feeling i miss something here :confused2:

Wether that she left is right or not depending on what he exactly did, how their marriage was and what is exactly going on in that house. If they had a half way good marriage or she is not planning to leave him for some bad things he did, she shud be there and support him with full heart and all passion. And that would be good for her son too as he needs to feel the family sticks together.

If the parents in law are treating her badly she should try her best to be there for him from her parents house. Maybe even parents can talk to each other as this is a bit bigger issue with being arrested.

Wish her all the best, specially for lil one

4 people like this.