1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Something useful for 2.5 yr old Daughter

Discussion in 'Toddlers' started by lakshmilatest, Oct 21, 2008.

1. lakshmilatest

lakshmilatest New IL'ite

My daughter is 2.5 yr old and going to Montesori daycare and learning small small things slowly in their way. But I have observed that she has less concentration. Lots of distractions. I cannot teach her anything for more than 2 mins. Even in the class she's like that. Does all the kids behave like this. How to imrove their concentration and how to teach the basic mathematics and language skills. Please let me know the ideas

2. Aadhusmom

Aadhusmom Gold IL'ite

Lakshmi,
    She is only 2 and a half - its normal for kids her age to be that way I think (atleast some of them). I really wouldnt worry too much about it provided she is otherwise ok (like language skills and social skills). To improve language skills the best thing is for you to read to her - often and in small doses. Pick books with subjects she can relate to (one about mischeivous girls would be great :) ), that are colourful and read even if she refuses to sit with you and only listens as she runs about. Ask her questions as you read. Point out interesting pictures. Make it funny and lively.
    Other things to try are websites like starfall or pouisson rouge (google for more) which make learning a game. Simple maths is best taught with objects (I use clothespins for my son right now) - counting, addition, subtraction can be taught that way. To increase vocabulary try picture books or wall charts - the latter esp help a child on the move to learn while running around the room. Finally dont get stressed - she has plenty of time to learn. Try not to make learning a chore - you dont want to end up with a child who hates school!

Vanathi.

PS - Krithika (Tikka) said somewhere else that Montessori requires a lot of concentration from children. All children may not do well in it. You might want to read more on that.

PPS - I'm moving this to the Toddler section.

3. revathyramesh

revathyramesh New IL'ite

hi lakshmi

donot worry too much.age of 2.5 kids are curious abt everything they see as well they what to explore.

so get hardpaper books with one or two words.read to her with expressions.u will get many of these books in library.

if u have magnetic letters ask her to fix it on fridge.u sit on chair and give her the numbers and alphabets one by one and ask her to fix it on fridge.

and then if u have time as her to give u the letters make her name urs,her friends .

for numbers also use these.

donot force her once in 2 0r 3 day u can practice her.

get some alphabet and numers dvd so she can watch.she does have to sit and watch.while playing if she hears it continuesly she will learn and then she will try to watch it.

take her for family story reading time in library.that will help.

all the best

revathy

4. Anandchitra

Anandchitra IL Hall of Fame

Please do consult this matter with the child's pediatrician(doctor).

5. Pavarun

Pavarun Silver IL'ite

Is there any activity that your daughter enjoys doing and is not too distracted while doing that? If so, I wouldn't worry too much. I remember reading somewhere that a 3-year olds attention span is sometimes only 3 minutes. Plus, it is very common at this age to be very active and interested in everything so there is hardly any time or inclination to sit still. It also depends on the child's temperament and nature - some children are very curious and active and throw themselves into things while some others are a bit more cautious in approaching new things.

Other than this, are there any other developmental areas that you are concerned about? If her social interaction is okay, and other developmental areas are fine, she may outgrow this in some time.

Another thing is, as Vanathi suggested try to change her to a program that is more unstructured - maybe once she spends some time there, you can move her to a structured program.

Of course, it may be a good idea to visit your ped just to get his/her opinion.

6. tikka

tikka Gold IL'ite

Yes, Montessori is very task oriented. That means you bead all beads, take them apart and put them back in the right place, before you move from the table. It is too intense for some kids in the beginning. Like mine - I have some of the Montessori toys at home, you make a lot more from pots and pans and beans in the kitchen - he can sit down for 5 min max even now after being around his toys for a year now. He will want another puks (books), thaneer, mum mum, out, come on, pout, threaten to cry, call out to Vahoo (his father) before I can get him to finish a task :rotfl:rotfl.
    How long has she been in the school (three months?) Are the teachers bothered about her lack of attention. Do they want you do something. Most of them are pretty good at getting the child to buckle down after a while, try not to worry.
    There are tonnes of montessori materials online, you could create an atmosphere similar to her school, start off on small tasks, get her feel confident and challenger her with bigger ones.
    Just wanted to ditto what Sindhu said here.