1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Something Smells Fishy

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by twinsmom, Aug 19, 2007.

1. twinsmom

twinsmom Silver IL'ite

Like billions of people all over the world, I start the day with a mug of coffee and the newspaper. Today, I huddle over the news paper spread on the dining table, too sleepy and lazy to get my 'pick me up after a late night' cup of coffee. What do I see?

Some Aussie researchers have discovered a link between a declining sense of smell and disorders such as schizofrenia and obsessive compulsive disorder... 81 young subjects at risk of becoming psychotic were shown a series of 40 cards, whose smell they had to match up with a list of four odours such as coffee, roses, oranges and petrol. The researchers found those who later went on to develop a mental illness had difficulty identifying more than half the odours.

Oh...my! This triggers an alarm bell somewhere in me. Time to start sniffing out the truth of the matter... rather, my mental condition! I recall with growing alarm that last week while RP signed his petrol card at the filling station, I didn't sniff in petorl smell ecstatically, as I used to all these years...and, I don't salivate on smelling coffee in the mornings as I used to. Is it because I am half asleep early in the mornings these days and my sense of smell is still asleep till the rest of me wakes fully up? Or is it that my frontal lobe is getting affected?

Ahh! c'mon, my good sense tells me. Those 81 chumps must have gone bonkers smelling 40 cards. I mean, you go to the perfume counter and try out 5 or 6 brands and you don't even know which is what, do you? Any average person -- you mean, 'average' like me? yes... like 'you' -- would be confused. Nothing wrong with your frontal lobe.

Assured by my common sense that I am not losing my marbles, I scan the news item again. An abnormal sense of smell may indicate problems in this thinking area of of the brain, says the researcher.

Sound of alarm bell again! Recently, I've started enjoying the smell of boiled cabbage, stopped being nauseous when my neighbours fry fish and do not react publically to BO and MO... Am I turning schizofrenic? Or is it the onset of Obsessive compulsive disorder? Is it? Is it? Is it? Sniff...sniff... sniff... do I smell a rat? Am I wacko? Loco? Getting unhinged? Going bonkers?

Don't be delirious, my good sense prevails upon me a shade too roughly. Last week you were synaesthetic, remember? Don't get carried away by what you read early in the morning. Yes, yes, you are right. I brew myself a cup of nescafe and take a whiff of it. Mmmmmm! Smells like... coffee! Divine!

All's well that ends well.

2. Kamalji

Kamalji IL Hall of Fame

HI Verbose,

Kamal heree.Good one.

I used to love the smell of kerosine and petrol.And i adore the smell of fish,which my wife hates,as she is a Veg.

She loves the smell of Pure Ghee which she makes at home, and i just hate it.HAHA.

Thats life.good blog.Regards.kamal

You are not seen much at Sul.Why ?Regards

3. sunkan

sunkan Gold IL'ite

dear kamalji,
    so u never got to see her biscuit article which is a focus there, ahah now got addicted to indus i see..sunkan

4. twinsmom

twinsmom Silver IL'ite

Kamaji,
    If I smell fish...I'll run for life! In fact, even the smell of Ghee being clarified puts me off.

5. vmur

vmur Silver IL'ite

I wish I had a turn on/off switch in my frontal lobe.. Turn it on when rasam is boiling on the stove or the "seasoning" ceremony is happening for the favorite MorKuzhambu/kootu/sambhar with mustard seeds, curry leaves and hing.

Turn it off when my neighbour decides to throw a barbecue party and Vayu Bhagwan of all days decides to flow in the direction of my home :mad:. And I should mention he is Vietnamese!

Remember the movie- Fist of Fury where Bruce lee roasts a giant lizard in the bonfire and pops into his mouth!! :eek I imagine such beings are being roasted whenever his patio gets groomed for the party!

Last edited: Aug 21, 2007
  6. twinsmom

twinsmom Silver IL'ite

Ha! Vidya,

I sympathise with you.... BBQ smell is the most odious in my opinion... Here when we go out to parks on holidays, we suffer as the locals enjoy BBQing... I love the smell of Rasam boiling...!

7. Kamalji

Kamalji IL Hall of Fame

Dear Verbose,

Well i love the fish smell.So u will not serve me fish, when u invite me for lunch? Then i am not coming:-( :-(

Sunkan, indus is slow,at least here , they dont even read the articles, nor comment.I am not very happy with the response.

May be they want ladies only here, discussing their house problems and motherin law things, and i am not of that kind.

Buts it s ok, u and verbose are ladies, so u two can enjoy here,while i take a long long break from indus.

Happy blogging dear.Regards,kamal