1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

something about: Pythagoras theorem and Pithaa

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by strangerrr, Mar 21, 2012.

1. strangerrr

strangerrr Gold IL'ite

Sitting in that stair-case

Looking those dark mosaic chips tainted in dull yellow cement purposelessly and listening to my amma with deaf ears is not an unusual thing for me. But what different that day is that it was once a life time event.

She was not exactly scolding or shouting, just expressing her disappointments from the core of her thing for his only son. Just couple of minutes back, dad had called her from office and shared my SSLC result and marks. More than the fact I know how good I wrote the exams, my appa didn’t speak to me suggested I had not scored outstanding numbers.

I didn’t ask for my marks to her, it’s more lack of interest for numbers than lack of eagerness. My amma was at her multi-tasking best, letting kozhambu to kothichifyingl on the gas stove – cleaning the floor – appraising my efforts (if any) I took in that much important year of my life (as determined by all other apart from me) - advising how & how much I should improve my studying habit (the habit which never exists till date) and finally voluntarily she disclosed the total first…

I was really stunned by that number. Then she went subject by subject, each subject score followed by a short note how/why should it be taken seriously. As she continued, I was thanking the seven wise men, who validated my answer sheets and the ALMIGHTY, for I could manage a number far and well above my potential.
    ---

Just out of the Head Mater’s office

My requests, begging, screams, thaaja-fying and whatever you call that, for a non Maths group in 11th Standard was let out in air; I was like when would be this maths boyyy would leave me?? He poked and I turned my head towards the shoulder, there he was projecting only his head like the vikramathithiyaa’s veydalaam from my back, “not at least for next two years” and he winked.
    ---

First day - first class – 11th Standard

It’s so unfair! It was a Maths class. At least the saarrr (Maths teacher) of 9th and 10th was little cheerful. I looked at the one in front of me now, who took the chalk and went right to the black board almost before completing his fading good morning boys.

I forget to mention one more guy I did thank post my SSLC results, it was Mr. Pythagoras theorem. His probability of showing up in the question paper was highly spoken about all literate people I came across in that past one year. I showed some F-love (read F as FAKE or FORCED not as FUNNY) and spend time with him, he didn’t disappoint me. It’s him who played a major role I being in that class then not in any tutorial.

Actually that was my best ever score in Maths in my recorded history; still everyone apart from me felt it was BA (Kindly note: The usual criteria literate people follow like: only 100 – Excellent and Good; 95 to 99 – Average; All others equal to or below 94 is BA, i.e. below average)
    ---

Those evenings during my 12th Standard

Well, I managed to show off that I was taking some serious efforts for my +2 exams (another so-called-important year) by spending most of my post school time in my terrace. Only my elder sister knew how sincere those sincere efforts were, as she is the one come up to the terrace and wake me up frequently. We had 2 Maths tutors (assisting the expressionless Maths saarrr) to teach our +2 maths; discrimination!!! why don’t they allow at least one text books to assist the students to write the exam.

Well, by grace of GOD I was away from home when my +2 results were out; I faced my parents after 3 days, by then the intensity of the music not exactly faded as I expected to be. I was double mind this time if to thanks or curse the wise men, who validated my answer sheets; though it was still considered as BA, still possible to get an engineering admission.
    ---

In between the scenes (of exam and result)
    There was big buzz about which institute I should join for entrance exams, I of no interest in engineering because of the “M” factor (not only but also; considering some other equally valid reasons) I was preparing for entrance exam with same seriousness at my terrace, so as to avoid sitting more Maths classes at any of the hi-profile (in terms of fees paid) coaching classes. My appa, strongly believed that coaching is so much important to get into engineering, I was strongly against buying tickets for never intended journey. Somehow, we mutually agreed that I would go for a free coaching offered at District Employment office.
    ----

A small change over here

I have my reason of disappointments with my dad, mostly and most mostly, I thought he would listen to me on the 11th non-maths group admission, unlike the other bad father-examples my friends speaks off and some of the movies portraits, who never understand their son’s wish. But he didn’t.

Since the days I could recall in my boyhood, I had a great respect for him much because of his commitment and hard work he demonstrated for us. He almost ignored his physical weakness he had and gave better education and best possible living standard for us. I would neither call him strict or lovable then. It took for me as long as to get a graduation, to interpret his signs of love completely.

Another thing I dislike about my appaa is he expected me to be as intelligent as my three lovely-lovable sisters and also to be as excellent as them in studies (my version) or we can say that as I didn’t live up to my appa’s expectation in the study vertical, as my sisters did (neutral version)

The back to back disappointments of entrance and +2 results reflected in his minimal verbal communications at home. Disappointments for me too, I could still get an admission in a descent engineering college with those BA marks. He, the vedaalam popped up and gave a sarcastic success smiles.

I started really to worry, I would be end up dealing all my life with those hook of integrals - triangles which failed to get in my brain in any angle – the matrix, which I better understand it as there is some English movie by the name - the mysterious villan Mr. X along with his baldies y, z, A, B, C, a, b, c…. needless to mention about his Greek counter parts α – β - ϒ.

I avoided eye contact with appa, later I adopted this as the strategy along with his own style of speaking-less, at home. It was one of the few things I learnt from my dad, in fact I mastered him on that occasion (my version) or he is unlike those other bad father examples, who give a damn to their son’s wish; he should have really contemplate my performance including the mysterious missing of my half yearly progress report, and could have understood I was not made for engineering (neutral version)

That day,

Still in the phase, when we were behaving as some of the Political Party leaders in the same alliance behave; kinda no-love –no-hate behavior, he phoned. My amma passed on the receiver to me saying “appaa”. He asked if I am of any interested in so-and-so course, the name of the course itself suggested, NO MATHS, I said a blind YES. He further asked if I can study away from home, in another city, possibly from hostel. Oh again, 'the other valid reason' I thought. But by calculative-relativity should be okay, so said a meek OKAY. Also as far as reaching L.H.S = R.H.S in the derivation, which could fulfill my primary objective I am happy, very very happy with it.

In that very night, me and my appaa started our journey for my college admission, where as I started my journey of understanding my appa for the very first time, that “he is an understanding father” He always understood me; understanding me; will understand me.

Today

He wish his only son around him, as he is in hospital underwent two back to back major surgery in both his legs in last 5 days, but he would never complain on my non availability only coz he understands me, I am miles away and not got a vacation to fly and travel some 50+ hours one way.

On the other hand,
    I am as I was, not bothered about his wishes and expectations. Simply, praying GOD to take care of him - asking best friend be around if possible - making frequent phone calls - writing this blog is suffice for his love and understanding 

---

Pre-P.S: It’s a long time wish, to end a post with post script. Seems this post is much suitable to fulfill the wish.

P.S: Courtesy to Mr. Google for providing all Mathematical terms used in this blog, including the spelling of Pythagoras and theorem.

2. upfsabari

upfsabari IL Hall of Fame

I can understand your love and affection you have on your father..! Parents love cannot be compared to anything..

My prayers for your father.. he will get well soon..!

3. Pallavi4me

Pallavi4me Platinum IL'ite

Oho………..Strangerrr

I thought it’s going to be a funniest post but you have ended up with a touch of emotion in it. I can understand that. For sure, your father is going to be fine soon and think you will be able to go and meet him at the earliest.

And I must say that this is post is standing out as best out of all of your blogs that I have read so far. :thumbsup

And OMG……….. I don’t know this criteria till date…. I’m out of this range most of the times :hide: and I could count on my fingers the occasions I have crossed the BA range and still I never felt bad. And I used to feel so happy, every time I cross the 90 mark.. (Though it was very rare)

And these lines are highlight Strangerrr

:rotfl

And the best part of the post is from the

Glad to hear the your father has understood your mindset and allowed to you pursue academics as you wanted.

wish your father a healthy and happy life.

4. ILoveTulips

ILoveTulips IL Hall of Fame

Oh Wow... Strangerr.. you have me hooked to the monitor till the end of the blog and was completely oblivious that my eyes were filled with tears when I finished reading it. Sorry to know about your Dad's medical condition. Hope he is doing good. I can understand how you must feel being thousands of miles away from him and couldn't lend a helping hand in this much needed time.

OTOH, I loved your narration very much. Very hilarious and witty. Not just in your home Stranger, In most of the homes, Dad's are not understood very well. We always tend to mistake them. As we see our mom all the time, we completely tend to don't care what fathers are going through outside home to give us what we want. After a long day at work, his silly anger remark at home makes us to think that he is less-good than Mom. You have narrated in your style very beautifully how your dad wished the best for you all the while, when you were thinking that he is pushing you towards that bitter Mathematics.

Lovely post. If it was a post in the forums, I would have nominated for Finest post. But now I could simply wish this should be selected for next week's best blog.

ILT

5. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

My good wishes for your father's recovery to good health.

Viswa

6. mahiramki

mahiramki Gold IL'ite

hi
    this makes me remember my father who never used to ask us (me and my bro) to study , where my bro was also a no maths sort of guy.
    but i know he was always confident about us...
    yes you are correct whether they force us to read, scold us to study , everything only bcoz they love us a lot that they get worried a lot and get frustrated.... finally end up shouting at us , which looks as if they dont love us in that point of time ....

even my mom is not feeling well i want to fly to see her,
    but may be if i listened to her when she said "study well so that you need not depend on any" then i could have .....
    anyways dont worry , we all are with you appa will be fine very soon.... :)

7. iyerviji

iyerviji IL Hall of Fame

Stranger dear I also go with what ILT has written. Parents want their children to be their best always. Usually fathers are strict and mothers have a soft corner for their children. Fathers also have but they dont know to show their love. They want their children to have a bright future thats why they are strict.

Dont worry your father will be alright soon. Can understand how you must feeling staying far away. My prayers for him.

8. rgsrinivasan

rgsrinivasan IL Hall of Fame

I always wonder why this particular relationship [father - son] always go through the phases of son - worshipping - father while young, both getting uncomfortable till a point and then both being desperate for the other. Son realizes the goodness of father, when he becomes one. Enjoyed reading this buddy. And wish your pa to get well soon. -rgs

9. strangerrr

strangerrr Gold IL'ite

Thanks for your prayers upfsabari :)

10. strangerrr

strangerrr Gold IL'ite

Does it sound too much so? oopz my p.s went in vain :(

Thanks for the appreciation, glad to know am improving on my writing :)

i wish i lived in your world, at least those 2 years.

Many many thanks for your wishes for him, pallavi :)