1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Some people leave me emotionally drained

Discussion in 'Friends & Neighbours' started by abc00, Aug 9, 2013.

1. abc00

abc00 Gold IL'ite

Problems exist for everyone. There are people who genuinely want to have your sympathy as a friend and will treasure that and return the same favor when needed. There are few others who just want to unload their stress to others and emotionally drain others.

I have a couple of friends with whom I meet almost daily. First is this lady who always sighs in between her conversation. She thinks very high about herself and says she hates people who complain but infact she would be doing the exact. She has some problems in life which she could not overcome so she makes generalised statements like - we are becoming old, we dont have anybody, usually husbands are like that, no spark in anybody's marriage etc.
    There is yet another lady who is almost the same. In additon she cannot hear no from others. If someone opposes her, she says no one in this whole world can be nice to her, people are selfish, do not care for others, they take advantage of her when needed but not care for her etc.

These two are taking a toll on my mental energy and whenever I meet or talk with them even for a while, I feel that Im at loss of energy and emotionally drained. It takes atleast a day for me to get back to normal.

I have been avoiding their calls and just want to maintain a cordial relationship but cannot totally cut them off. The second person is a distant cousin too who stays closeby.

On the other hand, if I avoid them and meet after a gap, they say they missed me because Im a good listener. They say that a friend should be like me. I have a positive attitude towards life and it makes them feel good, but its the opposite feeling for me.

Please suggest if you have similar experiences and how to deal with it without totally disconnecting with them. For sure they will not change, so I have to do something about it.

2. abc00

abc00 Gold IL'ite

Got this from the internet :Hope it helps people dealing with similar situation.

How to Deal With People Who Are Emotional Drains
    by Dorothy J. Sander, Demand Media

It's always about them!
    It's always about them!

Whether it's a co-worker, boss, friend or family member, having an emotionally draining person in your life is no laughing matter. People who don't seem to respect your time, your space or your need and desire to focus your attention on something other than them often don't pick up on the subtle, polite clues you give them. They also don't like to take no for an answer. Their needs are so great they are unable to recognize that you have needs too. Developing a few coping skills will improve your quality of life when being in a relationship with an emotionally draining person is unavoidable.

Set Limits
    We've all had a friend, co-worker or relative who seems to have little else to do but talk to us. They call us multiple times a day and refuse to hear us when we tell them we need to hang up. They rehash the same problems over and over but rarely take our good advice.
    Setting limits and sticking to them is an excellent tool to use on a regular basis with such people. By telling your chatty friend when she calls that you have 10 minutes to talk and then you have to go back to work, then she cannot use up your morning. Setting the limit is the first step. Then you must follow through. After 10 minutes say good-bye and hang up the phone, even if she ignores you or tries to talk you out of it. Resist getting pulled in by your overly compassionate self. It's OK to set limits. Be kind, but be firm.

Say "No"
    When we say no to an an emotionally draining person we are saying, "I am as important as you are or, right now my work is more important than hearing about your shopping trip." It is not necessary to say these words out loud. All that is necessary is for you to acknowledge to yourself that you and your needs have value and then act on this belief.
    Saying no, like setting limits on your time, will gradually improve your quality of life in a relationship with an emotionally draining person. Start with an easy, small no, such as "No, I can't meet you for coffee today, but I'll call you to set something up at the end of the week." The more you flex the "no" muscle, the easier it gets!

Adjust Expectations
    Emotionally draining people are people who have emotional limitations, such as low self-esteem. Chances are they have sought you out precisely because you are an accommodating, accepting person. When you begin to make changes in your behavior and begin to set limits they probably are not going to like it. Be prepared for this and resist the pull of guilt or anger to change back to your old pattern of behavior. Instead focus your thoughts and attention on yourself and your own needs and not on theirs.

Interrupt the Talker
    Incessant talkers are extremely draining. Most aren't really interested in what the other person has to say nor are they likely to give him much opportunity to talk. As long as the listener pretends he is paying attention and interested, the talker will keep talking.
    When you find yourself in this situation it is OK not to follow the "do not interrupt" rule of etiquette. Speak up in a firm, yet calm, voice, at a volume that is loud enough for the talker to hear you over his own voice ans say, "Excuse me. I'm going back to work now." Show that you mean it by walking away, even if he continues talking. Show through your actions that you value your time, even if he doesn't.

Don't Engage the Drama Queen
    The high-energy individual, who is always in the middle of a crisis, actually thrives on the excitement of the crisis. Sharing the drama with others helps keeps it alive for her. An audience fans the flame for the drama queen. When you remain calm and refuse to get caught up in the drama the high-energy individual will lose interest in the drama or take the party elsewhere. Either way, you're off the hook!

Take an Assertiveness Training Course
    Changing yourself is the very best way to change a problematic relationship. You can begin to do this by taking a hard look at how you are contributing to the problem. The emotionally draining person often seeks out caring, sensitive, non-assertive people, precisely because they are good listeners and are accommodating. Ask yourself if you are one of these people. Is your inability to say no and set limits contributing to the problem? If so, then learning how to be more assertive will help. An assertiveness training course provides the guidelines, tools and instructions needed to learn to be assertive. They also often include practice sessions with a trained professional so that you can test your skills and receive support and guidance as you learn. Your local library or bookstore will also more than likely have books on assertiveness and assertiveness training.

7 people like this.
  3. yellowmango

yellowmango IL Hall of Fame

Dear OP...we can't choose family but we can choose friends.Don't have such people in your life. Life is too short.

4. soulhappy

soulhappy Silver IL'ite

I agree with yellowmango

5. vathsala30

vathsala30 Platinum IL'ite

I too had such experiences with some people but i ignore them, The more we listen to them the more they will eat our head with silly talk, so try to avoid them with some excuses .

sindmani likes this.
  6. NirmalaGoofy

NirmalaGoofy Gold IL'ite

Dealing with this kind of people is miserable. Couple of them used to live in my neighborhood and everyday I will be scared to meet them.

7. riya123

riya123 Gold IL'ite

Should this be in married life forum. Op is discussing her friends and not her married life

8. Anitap

Anitap IL Hall of Fame

Such self obsessed people will run away if you start bugging them with your woe stories :)

4 people like this.
  9. bhuvnidhi

bhuvnidhi IL Hall of Fame

They think you are a good listener and friend .Probably they think your positive energy might make them feel better(From what you have written).But what they did not realise is that even you are not "that" positive as they expect and you also need some motivation from others.If you getting disturbed because of these people you should cut them off or atleast let them know that they need to develop positive qualities within themselves to have a better outlook.

1 person likes this.
  10. orchidgb

orchidgb Silver IL'ite

hi

even my 2 aunties and 2 cousin will telephone me and tell all their ailments as if i am their family doctor. my cousin has kidney problem and she want to vent out her feelings with me . i am so sensitive and earlier had a soft corner but now she has a good family and wont share the jokes which is going on in her family. i came to know once and now scared to go for fb too because she will come in chat and tell all her woes.

THEY ARE NOT READY TO SHARE THEIR ENJOYMENTS AND HAPPINESS ONLY LIKE TO SHARE THEIR AILMENTS.

nowadays i am avoiding them as far as possible.

1 person likes this.