1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Some More Sweet Memories

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by iyerviji, Jun 30, 2020.

1. iyerviji

iyerviji Finest Post Winner

Good Morning dearies,There's a place within our hearts
    Where we keep our favorite memories,
    The ones that never fail to make us smile --
    And when life becomes too hectic
    It's such a special feeling
    To close our eyes and reminisce awhile.
    (Amanda Bradley
    Who doesn’t want to think of their childhood days and teenage days which are the best as there were no responsibility especially when you are a younger child. Just was thinking of those days when once in a month we were given castor oil to drink and that day very simple food. Every Friday we were supposed to take oil bath and that too not little oil, no shampoos those days but cheeyaka powder , sometimes the oil in the hair does not go and the face also used to look oily after washing it nicely with soap also. Slowly the cheekai was replaced by Mira seekakai powder and then with shampoo. Don’t know how many people take oil bath on Fridays.
    Those days the bride never used to put any make up during her marriage, I had also not put but the bride used to look special on that day. During my cousin’s daughter’s marriage her cousins had put make up for her during Reception. Without make up only cousin and her daughter look pretty. Cousin’s daughter was asked to remove the make up by her mother in law saying that they asked her son to marry her seeing her natural beauty.
    Memories of the days spent with my brothers and sisters , those lovely days will they come back again. Grandmother making the special dishes which we all used to like. My brother used to like Sevai very much and she used to make it so many times though it was a hard task.
    Those lovely days spent with my best friend in her house , two hours everyday studying and playing and on Sundays more hours playing scrabble. Everyone in friend’s house were very nice. Everyday I used to go in her car to school. Will those days come back again.

I treasure sweet old memories as the time goes swiftly by
    A few bring smiles of happiness and some tears to the eye

They all are precious in their way reopening the door of old
    That have been shut these many years what pictures they unfold

These dear old, sweet old memories all play their special part
    In bringing joy and opening up the latch strings of the heart ...
    have a nice day

Mistt and MalStrom like this.

2. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Dear Viji aunty,

So sweet of you! Yes, so many memories - I was reminded of one my favorite songs "memories" :) As long as those memories bring a smile - keep sharing and continue to make more memories!

iyerviji likes this.
  3. iyerviji

Sorry for the late reply thanks for your first and only feedback. Memories are always sweet

Srama likes this.
  4. Thyagarajan

Thyagarajan IL Hall of Fame

:hello: You had begun with beautiful quote - an aphorism by itself- brevity in eloquence - pithy statement. I like reading it.

Yes everyone rememberers, recalls happier days of their childhood as they watch children or their grand child . At times they look at the child as if it was her or his own childhood replica.
    You recalled the moments of those days regimen Friday’s Oil bath and compulsory drinking of oil bath. But alas modern living replaced and substituted those practices for comfort and convenience. Skin care and overall health almost guaranteed with those traditional practices.

But now trend is to keep bathroom clean unslippery and only pharmaceutical grade castor oil available.
    During childhood my mother treated me with castor oil for my eye issues and for any stomach disorders she used to slash castor oil on navel.

• Once soon I returned from school collected key from neighbour and entered my house. I threw school text book and note nearby, took and drank the warm milk from flask and - just to save time - from pan scooped rava uppuma which was somewhat hot stuffed it into my side pockets of half-pant rushed to join my team to play street cricket.
    • Later when I complained to mom about reddishness on inner thighs, mom got upset. I did not tell her that it was due to hot uppuma in pockets. She was bit upset.
    • She applied castor oil on the affected part of thighs. Later when I told her, she instead of scolding me softly told it should not be done as uppuma would have got spoilt with dirt and sweat etc inside pockets.
    Thanks and Regards.

iyerviji likes this.
  5. iyerviji

Glad you liked the quote. As a child we dont know some things and make mistakes. Good you told your mother so that you knew that it was not good to keep upma in pocket. You are right about bathroom. Commode is also in the bathroom.now a days .noone washes their legs there. Everything has changed. The house should be kept clean and beat. Everything is kept inside..