1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Some Lessons that Life Teaches You

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Kamalji, Sep 23, 2013.

1. Kamalji

Kamalji IL Hall of Fame

Some Lessons that Life Teaches You

No Teacher, Professor or
    Anyone else..
    But a Hungry Stomach,
    an Empty Pocket &
    a Broken Heart
    can teach some of the most important Lessons of Life!!

This is what I received yesterday , a joke, or a whats app message on my mobile. I was having tea, early in the morning, and just checked the whats app, and this is the first one I came across.

It set me thinking, I lost interest in the newspapers that were waiting to be devoured by me, the tea too. Taking me back long into the recesses of time, and I just got lost in my thoughts.

There has been a small stretch of my life, which was tough, just the ten years out of the 60, so overall the lord has been kind. Those ten years were tough, not that I was hungry, or a babe rejected me, but my business was not doing well, and I was not earning even 5000 a month in the early nineties.

Wife used to phone me, to buy a 15 kg postman oil, on the way back home, then some 700 or so, and I would prospone it by a week, and then buying some local oil brand like Maruti, cheaper, which she did not like the taste.

I had outgrown the sweaters, but kept postponing buying new ones, the tyre of the fiat was flat, and I said to myself I am not going out of town to have tyres in top shape, we will see later.

Invitations to marriages stopped coming, I would hear that so and so’s daughter got married, but I was not invited this time, not that I liked going to marriages, but it hurt the ego and self respect. And yes word does go around , faster than the smell of the onion, when u don’t have money. Many calls stopped coming, and when I did meet people, I could sense an aloofness in them, some of them I mean, and I knew then, that the world salutes the rising sun, not the setting one. There was nothing I could do,it was not in my hands.

Our dhobi used to come to wash our clothes by hand and half the month he used to take off, and poor harsha had to wash the clothes. And I promised myself, that the first thing I will do when I get the first lakh if ever, is to buy a washing machine for her.

But Dad, mom, and brothers were all behind me like solid rock, so the shocks were buffered. Mom used to gift Harsha ornaments, dad would quietly leave money with harsha when he used to come down, and I was not to know. How could I not know, sometimes and a tear would come down, that lord, what have I done, that u have put me in this position. And I have two daughters, to marry, what am I going to do, u want me to borrow money from parents, brothers and friends, with no way of paying them off .I wondered. But I forgot, there is someone up there who likes me, and maybe loves me too.

Well the tide turned in a dramatic way, most unexpected. And I earned a lakh that year, and the first thing I went and did was buy her a semi automatic videocon washing machine, 7000/- hey I am not advertising for them, , and a kinetic Hondo scooter self start for myself, some 40,000 or so, and I felt like a king then.

Soon I was doing well, and traveling all over the world , for my garment business, and things got better, the coolers shifted to AC’s, in came a Esteem, still there , now 17 years old and an antique, and in started coming the invitations to marriages, and new friends barging in my life.

But life did teach me one thing. My parents, brothers, and my friends , the card group, stood with me like rocks, and as for the fair-weather friends , I am just polite to them on the face, but I avoid going to their functions, for I know they salute my money and status, not me, the person.

I guess all of us have gone thru these phases of life, where we have been hurt like mad, and no guru can teach u, no temple can teach u, but it is life that will teach u, the lack of money that will teach u, and knock some lessons in that hard brain of ours. Maybe that is why, I am very touch about money these days, to the point of being stingy.

It is good I went thru all this, for now I value money, and don’t spend on things I don’t need, for I know how precious money is, and when u don’t have it, it is living hell. All in all no complaints, the lord has been fair to me.

KAMAL MAHTANI

THE MONKEYS

Once upon a time in a village, a man announced to the villagers that he would buy monkeys for Rs 10.
    The villagers, seeing that there were many monkeys around, went out to the forest and started catching them..
    The man bought thousands at Rs 10 and as supply started to diminish, the villagers stopped their effort.
    He further announced that he would now buy at Rs20.
    This renewed the efforts of the villagers and they started catching monkeys again.
    Soon the supply diminished even further and people started going back to their farms.
    The offer rate increased to Rs 25 and the supply of monkeys became so
    little that it was an effort to even see a monkey, let alone catch one!
    The man now announced that he would buy monkeys at Rs 50!
    However, since he had to go to the city on some business, his assistant would now buy on behalf of him.
    In the absence of the man, the assistant told the villagers. Look at
    all these monkeys in the big cage that the man has collected. I will
    sell them to you at Rs 35 and when the man returns from the city, you
    can sell it to him for Rs 50."
    The villagers squeezed up with all their savings and bought all the monkeys.
    Then they never saw the man nor his assistant, only monkeys everywhere!
    Welcome to the 'Stock Market'

When one door closes, the other one opens...
    That's when you realise that you have bought a really bad second hand car...

This is called single point focus ...
    Bengali : My grandfather lived for 96 years & he never used glasses...
    Sardar: Ya, I know,

some people in my family also drink directly from the bottle.

IMG-20130921-WA0138_resized.jpg

IMG-20130921-WA0111_resized.jpg

IMG-20130921-WA0181_resized.jpg

9 people like this.

2. iyerviji

iyerviji Finest Post Winner

Kamalji very touching post, true life teaches us so many lessons , its for us to learn and improve ourselves. I will come back with more later

3. GoogleGlass

GoogleGlass IL Hall of Fame

A lesson that will be learnt only if an individual undergoes this pain.

Otherwise it may not have the real effect. Not that I want everyone to undergo such an experience to learn a lesson.

Very true Kamalji - I have also faced a situation like this. After which then I chose the group that I move with. It helps one to weed the unwanted.

4. kelly1966

kelly1966 Platinum IL'ite

Kama;ji
    life is THE GREATEST teacher.. it teaches you the to understand and Value the right kind of people .. fortunately I've not had any such bad experiences but whenever I see people who have risen from the grassroots and attained wealth but no longer acknowledge their past acquaintances I feel really bad.. I hate it when people forget the friends who stood by them in difficult times!!..
    jokes.. well I've read them all.. but good to re-read..
    kerman

1 person likes this.
  5. Vidya24

Vidya24 Gold IL'ite

Kamalji,

An insightful post. Life can teach us some hard lessons. My husband and I have undergone similar hardship and at times, even those whom we trust, love and expect to be reliable, desert us. There have been periods when I even lost faith in God. But times changed, and we changed. We welcomed the good times, we welcomed our lil son and a perennial shower of happiness in our lives along with him--- but we never allowed ourselves to forget the difficult days and the ones who made those days more difficult. Today, we often live with some of those people, but it takes a lot of restraint to behave civilly with them.

Do our hardships make us better people? My good friend Padma Srinivas, a beautiful, beautiful Ilite, gracious in face and soul, tells me that we should not hate anyone in our life. She says that in a spiritual plane, we chose for them to be in our lives, to teach us certain valuable lessons of life.The ones who hurt us are as valuable as the ones who cherish us. I have not got to that level, but it bolsters my day to day good manners towards such characters, especially when I have to welcome them into my house.

Forget life, Kamalji. Even in a virtual world like Indusladies, I had friends who kept mailing and chatting when I was active, when I was a super moderator. And when I stopped being so, they super dumped me lisping lessons of tolerance, healing and love in forums. It is a world of Rakta bheejas, Kamalji. These low lives will outlive you and me------

Did I use your post to just vent my spleen? If so, I apologise. Loving your blogs as always

2 people like this.
  6. sumanrathi

sumanrathi IL Hall of Fame

A Real Heart feel

in my life I have 2 friends they help me a lot when i fall down to earth, I respect them more than my parent's..

We can identify a good man when you have nothing in your wallet .. they may be relative, friend in my life these 2 friends take major part than my relatives

We 3 are EVER GREEN

7. rajinitk4

rajinitk4 IL Hall of Fame

Kamalji,

An inspiring post from you again.

8. shyamala1234

shyamala1234 Platinum IL'ite

Dear Kamalji,

Absolutely, the lessons learnt by our experiences stay forever. We learn so many things about people,money, relationships during those experiences.It is only when we truely need support that we realize who our real friends or welwishers are. Yes, no text book teaches us those little little lessons.The hurt that we felt...scar remains forever though we do not exhibit it. Those who help us during those days never mention or narrate how they helped us...they just do it in a very subtle way and they do not want even to be mentioned.

A good one...everyone passes through some bad patches in life. We all learn our lessons.

Thank you.

Syamala

9. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Indeed life is the greatest teacher Kamalji! Thank you for sharing such a touching and important phase in your life. Like Kelly says, some of us might not have gone through all that but we certainly are fortunate enough to understand and feel what you are trying to say. But one thing is for sure Kamalji, all of us have many many instances in life when we have learnt lessons and important ones at that.

10. Kamalji

Kamalji IL Hall of Fame

Dear Viji sis,

thank u.