Some GrandMother's tips

Discussion in 'Pregnancy & Labor' started by cathy, Jan 7, 2008.

1. cathy

cathy Senior IL'ite

Here are a few....
    • -Expectant mothers suffering from nausea and vomiting must avoid spicy food
    • -Fruit juices such as pomegranate help in strengthening the uterus and keep away infection
    • -It is during the first three months of pregnancy that the child develops. So, it is essential to eat protein rich food during this period
    • -Almonds taken on an empty stomach, pistachios and walnuts are rich in proteins
    • -Avoid excessive salt, fat and water in the diet from the seventh month onwards, to prevent water retention, or edema
    • -Ayurveda suggests medicated clarified butter as a regular intake to improve the baby's memory and mental powers, as well as to keep the mother in good mental condition after the delivery
    • -Vegetables that provide the golden nutrients are spinach, lettuce, potatoes, celery and artichoke hearts. Apples, bananas, and papaya contain large quantities of iron
    • -Citrus or juicy fruits like lemons, oranges, pineapple, papaya, apples and all green vegetables contain a lot of vitamin C, while soya and nuts contain calcium
    • -Jack fruit, pumpkin, brinjal and bitter gourd, black berry, yam ( suran ), onion, garlic and green leafy vegetables are prohibited during pregnancy. It is believed that it could cause a cold and cough to the newborn and mother
    • -Lunch must begin with a salad of fresh garden vegetables, abundance of carrots, tomatoes and greens <!-- [​IMG] -->
    • -The whole idea of having an easily digestible, healthy lunch is that the stomach may be empty by tea-time to cater to the regular cravings of the mother-to-be's bio- clock
    • -Dry fruits are also good for health during pregnancy
    • -Care should be taken to avoid constipation during pregnancy especially during the early stages. It is fine to take green bananas during the early stages and not during the later stages as it will increase baby's weight
    • -Avoid black grapes during pregnancy
    • -It is a generally believed myth that if the stomach seems to be narrow it is a boy baby and if it is broad it is a girl
    • -Saffron with milk helps baby's blood circulation
    • -Dry fruits - especially figs and almonds - provide a large number of nutrients
    • -Dates and fresh figs provide instant energy while grapes and stewed prunes are good for digestion
    • -Consuming dates syrup with milk is also advisable
    • -Egg lovers could have an egg or two, but preferably boiled eggs are the best
    • -At teatime, a cup of lemon tea with some gingerbread or whole meal bread with honey would be a good idea
    • -One should take care to avoid fries or overly salted and greasy foods even at teatime
    • -It is not advisable to eat at odd hours or very late at night. An early dinner is a good idea
    • -Steamed vegetables are also a good idea for dinner, or they can be a side dish of cubed cottage cheese (or tofu) and mixed grilled vegetables. It is refreshing and light after the soup and does wonders to the system
    • -A cupful of hot milk with a teaspoonful of honey as sweetener, induces a relaxing sleep

3 people like this.

2. Traveller

Traveller Gold IL'ite

it's interesting to note that papaya and pineapple are mentioned on the 'good for pregnant woman' list. wonder why we're told to avoid!!! good points, Cathy!

3. ptamil2007

ptamil2007 Gold IL'ite

Nice post cathy...

I was going thro' the list to see how much I score in complying with those :)

4. cathy

cathy Senior IL'ite

Yes,Even i was wondering and called my Mom.

She told papaya and pinapple are heat producing and also if we take it during the first trimester,chances for getting miscarriage is high.But even indian doctors suggest to take them after second trimester with a cup of milk..:)

Since we have been hearing that Payapa and pinapple have to be avoided during pregnancy,we are scared to take them.Even i asked my american doctor.She told there is nothing like that..Interresting..huh????

You know what!!Even after hearing all the above,i am scared to eat those fruits :rotfl.

BTW,How are you doing?Has your parents reached??Take care.

-Cathy

5. Mahajanpragati

Mahajanpragati Platinum IL'ite

dear friends,
    it is very good list & very medically correctone also.grandma seems to be a doc ha..ha...
    there is rather this confusion about whether to eat papaya & pineapple or not.during my 1st pregnancy i did take papaya throughout my preg but this time round i am avoiding it.
    love
    pragati

6. maha

maha Senior IL'ite

Hi cathy,

Thanks for the tips and like pavithra, i was also checking my compliance with the list...:coffee

7. Traveller

Traveller Gold IL'ite

Hi Ladies, This is some grandmother tip from Germany:) Germany is very well-known for their naturopathy, homeopathy and alternative medicines. I have learnt about so many teas that these days at our home we drink only herbal teas (available even in supermarkets) for common ailments like cold etc., So for pregnancy we have something to drink during and also after pregnancy. The one to drink during pregnancy is had 3-4 weeks before delivery and contains dried raspberry leaves. It's supposed to aid uterus contractions and prepare the uterus and birth path for a smooth delivery. And the one after delivery is basically to aid in milk building and control of gas formation (also regulation of bleeding). This has again the raspberry leaves, fennel and few other herbs (i'm unable to give english names for all). I had both teas for my first pregnancy. I don't know if this really had effect but my post-delivery bleeding was very minimal, my lactation was absolutely good and my boy never ever had gas. .. also there is an oil that we've to apply in the vagina. This oil is supposed to lubricate the cervix and reduce tear during delivery. I believe this is also practised in our ayurveda where castor oil is used. This post is just for your info. I wanted to make you aware so that you can search for such similar products available in your countries:) I remembered it suddenly today when I was at the shop to buy herbal tea for my son's cold... wish I had sent this post earlier! Latha

8. ptamil2007

ptamil2007 Gold IL'ite

Latha,

Really thanks for that timely post. I had read about this raspberry tea leaf and I forgot to ask about it to the doctor during the last visit.
    Also I am sorry I forgot to ask about the wheat germ oil which you had mentioned.

After the internal examination, I was actually in a mood to run away from there and so these things slipped out of my mind.

I have to now find out the finnish name for this tea and start having it.

Also this oil which you have mentioned, can you tell me which oil is it. And when do we start applying the oil.
    I shall try to find it here (finding finnish equivalent names are really a big task bonk)

9. Traveller

Traveller Gold IL'ite

Hi Pavithra, no problem at all... as delivery is nearing and also after the birth moms get clumsy:) you'll not believe even after 1 yr after my boy was born i would forget things, go to the supermarket and buy something irrelevant.... hormones take over us:hatsoff this birth preparatory (or perineum) oil is a mixture of several oils that i bought in the shop. It's called 'Damm Oel' in german. Popular brands like Weleda have this oil (i have seen this brand in Denmark too... see if it's available). This has to be applied from 36th week or so but to check with doctor when you can. My doctor had shown me how to apply it. This oil can also be applied on tummy for stretch marks so it'll not go waste:) Because i was going to india for delivery at that time a friend of mine gave me this oil and teas otherwise i would have not known about it:) I send a link of the brand that i used... do ask the doctor/midwife about it. Avalon - Radicula - Produkt - »DammOl« Perineum Preparatory Oil This site also has products for baby massage etc., There is a phone number under 'contact'. They'd definitely speak english. So you can ask where to buy in Finland if you can't find something similar there:) Latha

10. sukar2703

sukar2703 New IL'ite

the tips are really useful. even i was going thru the list to know how much am complying with it...

now, i have a concern, please enlighten me on this...

am in 11th week of my pregnancy. had gone for an ultrasound, the doctor felt, for 11 weeks, the baby should be little more active and also they feel the fluid seems to be little less. Please let me know have any one come across this situation. Am obviously worried. And another thing, she has prescribed a multi-vitamin along with ASPIRIN DELAYED RELEASE TABLETS 50mg. Now am worried to take this as i read it somewhere that aspirin should not be taken during pregnancy. I REALLY DON'T KNOW WHAT I SHOULD BE DOING. Someone please help me out on this.

Eagerly awaiting the replies.........

Thanks in advance
    sukar