Some festival recipes & Recipe related Queries

Discussion in 'Cuisines of India' started by sunkan, Aug 23, 2005.

1. rathi

rathi Bronze IL'ite

Tried your recipe...

Hello Sunkan,

I tried salt seedai as per your recipe. But I did not soak and dry rice to powder it. Instead I used a ready made flour available in the grocery stores here (Roja, I got it in Indian stores here and it was very reliable).

I think the key is not rolling it tight and frying in medium heat. Luckily no spluttering or no screaming of smoke detectors!

Only one small issue...though it tasted good, did not turn out to be very crispy. Not sure where I goofed up affecting the crispyness [​IMG]

Thanks for your recipe and tips. It really helped.

2. rathi

rathi Bronze IL'ite

Tried your sweet seedai recipe too!

Hi Meena,

I tried your sweet seedai recipe too. Definitely a very easy recipe to try out.

It tasted good and wasn't hard to bite, except that it was not very crispy :? .

I cooked in slow flame, but I'm not sure what went wrong (I had the same issue with the salt seedai I tried using Sunkan's recipe).

Anyway, thanks a lot for the recipe.

3. Chitvish

Chitvish Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Hi Rathi , Just a small tip for crisp salt seeda - I tried this - the seedais were very crisp! Just give the grated coconut a quick run in the mixi & micowave it in a plate till crisp -- it will remain white & crisp, it will not turn brown. Then proceed as usual , frying on just med fire till "salasalappu " stops.Never roll i t tight - no bursting ! Mallika Badrinath gave a salt seedai recipe on Jaya tv last week , which I tried . It was superb. If you want , I will post you the recipe .
    cv.
    cv

4. meenaprakash

meenaprakash Silver IL'ite

sweet seedai

Hi Rathi,

Nice to hear from u.

I'm sorry if I hadn't mentioned that the ghee u use shld be melted ghee. when it is in the liquid form its easier to measure.

Otherwise the proportion might differ. The milk, sugar and ghee must be of equal proportion. If the ghee is little more than required then the seedai will be a little soft.

Meena

5. meenaprakash

meenaprakash Silver IL'ite

Salt seedai - another easy one.....

Hi,

Here's another easy recipe for salt /kaara seedai.

In a bowl take 1 1/2 cup maida flour, a pinch of soda, 1 1/2 tsp ghee. Mix with ur finger tips till ghee is mixed well into the maida.
    Next add salt, chilli paste made from 4 green chillies OR as per taste. mix well.
    Add juice of 1 medium sized lemon. Mix well.
    Finally sprinkle enough water to make a slightly stiff dough.
    Pinch small amounts of the dough and roll into tiny balls of desired shape and deep fry in oil till done - on a slow flame.

Options : Add grated or powdered coconut for added taste.
    Add white til.

6. malar

malar Bronze IL'ite

I tried out and then saw your message

Hi Sunkan,

Though I did not get to see the message before my trial, I tried out and then I saw your message about your trying in a kadai.

I poured the batter in one place, but it got spread out as it raised from the oil. Then I thought probably the batter consistency was a little loose, or may be I heated the jaggery too much :confused: . So I mixed some maida flour to get a thicker consistency. Then when I poured it into the oil, it came out really well.

I've decided to buy a paniyarakal from Mustafa store when I go to Singapore, so that I can try your recipe as is. I guess those small golden red appams are possible with a paniyarakal.

Thanks a lot for your recipe :-D .

7. sunkan

sunkan Gold IL'ite

Now that Ganesha Chathurthi is coming along

hai folks,
    now that ganesha chathurthi along let us see abt the basic dough of the kozhakattai .....the famous dimsim of china ....and indian kozhakattai along..the filling most of us try to do well but most tend to loose out on the outer cover...let me try and ease it for u all.....
    take the required amt of rice powder and mix it like a dosa batter,
    now put the kadai on the fire and add half a glass of water to which a
    pinch of salt and one tablespoon of coconut oil....once it boils add the dosa batter into it that is the rice mixture made like dosa batter and keep stirring and try to keep the gas a little low but not too low..once u get all side cooked bring it down....it would shine when u look at it and feel in hand and it will not stick to ur fingers...this done....keep it covered for sometime with a wet towel ...while making the cups knead well and make it smooth with coconut oil in ur hand it will come thin and to ur desired shape without any lumps......[​IMG] have a nice time....any queries me here..sundarikannan

Last edited: Aug 31, 2005
  8. rathi

rathi Bronze IL'ite

Recipe for poornam

Hello Sunkan,

You seem to be knowing all traditional recipes of festive time food. Can I request you to share the recipe for poornam (stuffing) too?

It will be great if you can share both sweet poornam and salt poornam stuffed inside the kozhakattais.

Thanks a ton.

9. sunkan

sunkan Gold IL'ite

Fillings for the kozhakattai for Ganesh Chathurthi

hai rathi,

nice to know u follow my receipes..
    i am giving the sweet and salt filling....for the sweet
    sweet filling
    scraped coconut 1cup
    brown sugar or jaggery...3/4 cup
    elaichi or cardomom 3
    dry ginger powder[optional]
    now as usual clean the jaggery by boiling and removing any sand particles ..now add the coconut along and stir until u get a jam like condition this u test with a flat ladle [thosai thiruppi] and if it fall without effort and still mushy it is right as when it cools it will tighten a lot so dont cook for long it may not be able to roll then....add the elaichi and dry ginger and cool it......

salt filling:
    take urad dhall the one with black covering[ulundu]
    what ever amount u need ....
    one cup of it
    green chillies 2 to 3
    salt to taste
    kadi patha /karuveppilai
    ginger 1/2"
    asafoetida or perungayam [optional
    soak urad for 30minutes only when u pinch it should open up
    now grind in a mixie or stone but less water is good just a run or two
    untill the shape is lost ....not up to the vada condition but much before that.......once u know u have none urad remove and u can steam and then fry if less oil required or u can directly put in kadai with a little oil and some mustard once crackled add the poornam and keep the gas in sim keep stirring untill the wetness gone and looks cooked but not too much where it becomes hard....it should remain soft to touch....now doing this ....make the cups with the dough and fill it diff shape and think of me while u eat.....hahahahahaha

have a nice time ....i take this oppurtunity to wish u all the best in life ........sundarikannan

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 1, 2005
  10. jyoti

jyoti New IL'ite

Modakham?

Is Modakham same as Kozhakattai? Or different?

I have heard in a chant for Vinayaka, there was a mention about Modakham. So I suppose that's equally traditional to make modhakam for Vinayaka.

Which one is easier to make? Modhakam or Kozhukattai, for non-experts in cooking like me :p