Some festival recipes & Recipe related Queries

Discussion in 'Cuisines of India' started by sunkan, Aug 23, 2005.

1. sunkan

sunkan Gold IL'ite

dear folks,
    just sharing a receipe for those who may not be aware this is a south indian fare in most homes needed on friday....
    salted cheedai
    200gms rice freshly powdered r best,
    1tablspoon pepper and jeera,
    salt to taste,
    one coconut freshly scraped,
    butter one large lemon size,
    now heat a kadai and fry the rice powder for 2 minuts,
    then bring down and add all ingredients and make a dough...
    add water only if needed...roll out into small marble size balls
    and light fry them until golden brown...ready to taste...
    hope u enjoy..
    regards..
    sunkan

2. rathi

rathi Bronze IL'ite

Seedai splutters!

Hello Sunkan,

Your recipe tempts me to try seedai this gokulashtami. But I'm worried about seedai spluttering (vedikaradhu!) :evil:

My Mom used to make when we were kids and most of the time it used to splutter and the oil splashes the entire kitchen. Very dangerous!

Do you have any tips to avoid this kind of spluttering and splashing?

3. roja

roja Junior IL'ite

Rice flour for seedai!

I have also heard about seedai splattering, but I guess it is more dependant on the consistency of the dough, though not very sure!

Sunkan, I have a question about the rice flour.

In my home back in India, we used to get the rice flour ground in the flour mill. Here in the US, we can't be doing that way. So is it ok to grind raw rice in mixie? I am not sure how fresh is the ready made rice flours we get in the Indian grocery stores here.

Thanks for your tips.

4. sunkan

sunkan Gold IL'ite

Dear rathi and roja,

in this process no spluttering or anything dont roll it tight like it should be a perfect ball....jus roll and always make it is sim gas condition no hurry burry here. as the coconut will get burnt and the taste will be lost...and rathi yes u can make the rice by soaking and drying on a towel to the consistancy when u take the rice in hand it should not stick but fall easily...then powder this in the mixie and seive it for cheedai it neednt be very very fine but a little rava kind along with the fine rice is required.....hope been of help regards sunkan

5. meenaprakash

meenaprakash Silver IL'ite

Hi,

This is another seedai which is sweet and u don't have to worry about bursting of seedai as the ingredients are different.

Method :

Take equal amount of sugar, milk and ghee- 1/2 cup each
    in a bowl. Mix well using ur fingers till the three ingredients mix well and look buttery consistency. takes about 5-7 minutes. Now add maida little by little and mix till it is a soft dough. pinch small amount of dough and roll it into round or oval shaped seedai and deep fry on low flame till golden brown.

Hope u'll try and enjoy eating it too!!!

6. rohini

rohini New IL'ite

More like a Gulab Jamoon!

Hi Meena,

Your recipe sounds interesting and simple for a sweet seedai.

I feel it is more like a gulab jamoon recipe using maida flour, except for the dipping in the sugar syrup.

I definitely want to try this. Thanks.

Love,
    Rohini

7. sunkan

sunkan Gold IL'ite

Unni Appam is a sweet made for Gokulashtami

Dear folks,

I have cleared ur doubt for cheedai,,,
    now would like to add another receipe for gokulashtami,
    unni appam...

ALWAYS WEIGH THE PRODUCTS LIKE VELLAM AND RICE POWDER FOR CORRECT EFFECT ....
    200gms rice powder
    200gms brown sugar[vellam]
    coconut diced into small julian
    one tsp of dry ginger powder
    one tsp of cardomam powder
    50 to 100 gms of ghee
    oil for frying

this has to be done a day before to fry the next day like how i mentioned with cheedai wet the rice and dry in shade until
    light to lift with no stickyness..now powder in mixie and u need to mix this vellam immediately to use the wetness of the powder for taste...now heat the kadai and add the vellam with a little water..once it comes to boil remove and seive for any sand particles...and put it back to heat while heating add the coconut juliens ..now take a small plate with water for cheking as u drop the vellam u should be able to just roll and feel like tomato consistancy not hard like marble or flow from hand away....wait until this then bring down the vellam now ..put the cardomam and dry ginger powder...mix and pour over the rice powder and mix well with a wooden ladle...once mixed put this ghee over it will spread all over...leave it that way for ur next day try...make the dough to dosa batter consistancy by adding water not too loose or thick it should be right and pour into appakaral filled with oil and this also u need to do with gas in sim condition for it tocome out the right condition red and small gold ones...

hope u enjoy.....regards..sundarikannan

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 25, 2005
  8. malar

malar Bronze IL'ite

appakaral or paniyarakal?

Hello Sunkan,

I would like to try this recipe today evening for krishna jayanthi. I already got the batter prepared as you had mentioned. Thanks for the detailed recipe.

I have a query (probably a very basic doubt!)...is this appakaral same as the kuzhi paniyarakal? I don't have a paniyarakal here. Can I heat oil in a kadai and pour the batter into small aapams? Would it come out well that way?

Please suggest.

Note: If anybody else who gets to see this message and would know an answer for my query, kindly revert for me to test and trial for this evening :roll:

Thanks!

9. sunkan

sunkan Gold IL'ite

hai

Malar,
    dont worry it should come out just be careful abt how much batter u use for each keep a small ladle and pour in just one place and remmember the gas to be in sim.....that way it should come out well...all the best sorry saw this too late...hope i have been in time for u...regards..sundarikannan:-D

10. Chitvish

Chitvish Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Hi Meena,
    I tried vella seedai for krishnajayanti this evening - it came out very well - the frying had to be done on a slow fire for atleast 10 mts - that is important , as you had mentioned . Thankyou for a fool proof vella seedai recipe !
    Regards, chitvish.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 29, 2005