1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Some facts about emergency contraceptive pills!

Discussion in 'Married Life' started by shivanimal, Dec 19, 2012.

1. shivanimal

shivanimal New IL'ite

Hello Ladies.
    I have read a lot of questions on this forum regarding unsafe sex and the usage of emergency contraceptive pills like ipill. I want to share my experience with you about contraceptive pills.
    I got married 2 years back at the age of 22. As I was in my 3<sup>rd</sup> sem of M.Sc., I did not wish to have kids for couple of years. I contacted a gynec and she prescribed me a regular birth control pill (Yasmin). Although the doctor told me that there are no side effects, I sensed a lot of uneasiness with it. So I started skipping out on my doses and took them irregularly. This occasional consumption was ofcourse not going to be of any help to me so I stopped it completely. My husband and I then decided on using a condom.
    Once after my 3<sup>rd</sup> sem exams we had an unprotected sex and I was really afraid that I may get pregnant. I did some browsing on the net and based on the experience of other people, i popped in an i-pill which is an emergency contraceptive pill. I took it within 72 hours and I did not get pregnant that time. But the uneasiness was same as I had felt while taking Yasmin. Since i-pill is supposed to be taken only during emergency I could somehow bear the nauseated feeling for some hours after taking i-pill.

Then just few months back I saw on the net that some people were discussing about side-effects of ipill. I immediately contacted my gynec and discussed this with her, she said that these emergency contraceptive pills are actually hormone pills. These hormones do not allow the sperm to fertilize the egg and thereby avoid pregnancy. Hence if these are taken very occasionally, then they do not pose any threat to future pregnancy.
    I have now switched back to my normal hormonal pills and the uneasiness that I faced before has reduced. I wanted to share my experience with you guys so that you can also take the right decision. I want to conclude by saying – a) for married women best options are condoms and birth control pills, b) in case of unprotected sex one can consume an emergency contraceptive pill, but so not overdo it. c) these contraceptive pills do not reduce your chances of becoming pregnant in the future. d) Its always better to take precaution rather than getting into issues like abortion or unplanned pregnancy.

2 people like this.

2. jewel4u86

jewel4u86 Silver IL'ite

very nice information, thanks for sharing.

3. ruknights

ruknights New IL'ite

thanks for sharing :)