Solo travellers

Discussion in 'Travel' started by crazywriter, Jun 11, 2010.

1. crazywriter

crazywriter Platinum IL'ite

this is something that I would love to do. take off on a trip all by myself. it helps in connecting with yourself.

but I wonder, will it be boring without company?

any ILites who take vacations by themselves? please share your experiences with us, and give us tips on solo travelling.

2. Pomegranite

Pomegranite Bronze IL'ite

Hey Suma!
    I almost always travel by myself! I have been all over the world, including Europe, Taiwan, Japan, China, Venezuela and India by myself :}
    I find that I am more friendly and others are more friendly toward me.
    I can find *myself* when I am on my own. It allows me to really discover myself: likes and dislikes, my characteristic behaviours, my assumptions.
    It allows me to challenge and change them too. If no one knows you, no one knows if you are shy...you can be bold and outgoing!
    A lone woman traveller is very nonthreatening and I use that to my benefit. If I am ever in a weird or scary situation I approach a shopkeeper, a family with women or children, or another Westener: instant protection!

In more situations that I can say, I have had someone step forward and help me with unfamiliar directions, language, train, ticketing or money system and a friendly chat!

While it can be fun to travel with family or friends, the best trips have been alone when I have connected with locals!
    Cheers,
    Ami

3. crazywriter

crazywriter Platinum IL'ite

cool!

I have travelled alone a lot, but have not been on a holiday by myself. might just do that one of these days! :)

you re an inspiration ami!!:thumbsup

4. Pomegranite

Pomegranite Bronze IL'ite

Hey Suma!
    Right back atcha!
    Cheers,
    Ami