Software Testing Career

Discussion in 'Working Women' started by manjumnair, Oct 3, 2007.

1. chinnodu

chinnodu Senior IL'ite

Hi vasumathi
    I am non IT i did Testing crash course here ( toronto) i just want to know is there any age limit to start new careen . is there any way i can get certification course. where i did the crash course they wont provide any certificate just will help to make resume
    thanks
    regards
    durga

2. Yaso

Yaso New IL'ite

Hi Durga,
    Where did you finish testing course in toronto ? I mean college..
    Did u write CSTE or ISTQB exam? If anyone have eBook please share it, it will great helpful for us.

Thanks
    Yas

3. Shilpa23

Shilpa23 Senior IL'ite

Hai rajini,

This is shilpa.I recently got H1 visa.I interested to work on testing.I am new to testing.I want to know on what topics i have to stress more for interviews.Can u give me the list of topics.How to perform manual testing in real time can u explain using yahoomail as an example in detailed process.
    How to perform automated testing in real time using QTP.I have learnt testing in a small institute so i now the terms used in testing.
    Kindly reply me urgently so that i can prepare for interviews.Please help me out .

Thanks,
    SHILPA:).

4. chinnodu

chinnodu Senior IL'ite

Hi Yaso
    i learnt from one telugu guy . i dint write any exam. i am also looking for some help to get more info about these exams.
    bye
    durga

5. AnithaPartha

AnithaPartha IL Hall of Fame

Hi Ladies,

Iam very new to this IL forum. I read about software testing just now. So how is market now in USA? I was working as a Senior Software tester with my h1b in CA but recently resigned from WIPRO to join my husband in NJ. Iam waiting for my L2 & EAD visa.

Anybody can suggest me how is testing career now? Anybody working?

--anitha

Last edited: Jun 8, 2009
  6. hydgrr

hydgrr Bronze IL'ite

Hi Anitha,
    I dont want to scare u but QA is the worst effected technology in US currently. People with all sorts of background i.e. business analysts and developers are also applying for QA jobs. I am also currently working as lead QA and recently to fill up one position we got around 250 resumes in just a week's time. So i would say there is heavy competition currently for getting a job in QA. But that shouldnt mean tht i want to discourage u from looking out for jobs. Since people are still getting jobs too :). Since u have an EAD it should be better. Good luck.
    -priya

7. AnithaPartha

AnithaPartha IL Hall of Fame

Dear priya,

I understand. I was working for a great company WIPRO TECH and I resigned in Mar time to join my DH in NJ who works in NY.

Any idea about consultancies? Do let me know. Are you working as full time or contractor?

I need to know good consultant people who can market my resume well. if you know any good consultants pls send me PM:)

8. thyrogal

thyrogal New IL'ite

i am no it knowledge and very slow pickup.will testing suit me.
    i want to involve in it job without involving programming.any others choices pl z help me

9. sunshinez

sunshinez New IL'ite

Hi everyone...

there seems to be lots of interesting discussions going on abt software testing and testing certification exams...

I have 2yrs experience in the field of testing and i was basically involved in manual testing ... i do have sound knowledge abt automation tool like QTP and Winrunner....

From past i year i hav taken break from my career for marriage and pregnancy.. i am expecting my baby in jan... after say 6-7 months i plan to get back into software testing job..

In this gap inbetween i am interested in taking up internation certification exams in software testing... Can anyone plz explain me as the

--> which are all the certifications available in the field of software testing ??
    --> how to take up these exams ??
    -- > As a new mom i knw its gonna be hectic task for me but is it possible to manage both baby and certification exams, so that i can fill in this gap in my career with this certification ??
    -- > How much would it cost to take up the certification exams ??
    -- > Where to start from ?? how to approach ??
    ---> in between v might move back to india , in that case is it possible to take up exams from India ??

Sorry for posting so many questions... but it would be really nice if all experienced professionals can help me out....

:cheers thanks in advance

10. StaarBearer

StaarBearer Senior IL'ite

@ sunshinez

One important thing in S/W testing field is to become a master of the domain one works with. This helps a lot in not just getting new jobs but also to shape up the career in the right way. I have seen many people jumping ships from networking to financial to others and ending up nowhere.

Some people even go to the extent of saying "You arent a master in Your domain, so no harm in changing" but believe me it hurts for sure. I have been in the testing field for 9+ years and ive seen quite a number of people do that and waste their precious experience.

If You are oriented with certifications, CSTP (Certified Software Testing Professional) provided by ISIT is well-known and recognized in the testing industry.

For Your questions:
    1) CSTP/CTM is well-known
    2) You need to attend classes in your area before appearing for the test. IIST has many franchises, You can check out with them.
    3) I am not a mom but I have seen mom's do it with ease
    4/5) Check with IIST website
    6) IIST has franchises in India as well (I have taken from them in Bangalore)

PS: I am not advertising for IIST, just that I have done the CSTP and know their reputation in the industry. :)

Last edited: Dec 11, 2009