soft idlis even in winter

Discussion in 'Recipe Central' started by Traveller, Dec 22, 2007.

1. Traveller

Traveller Gold IL'ite

Hello friends,
    I thought of sharing my experience with finally getting idli batter right even in European winter.
    I have not browsed any previous posts on this subject so pls. pardon me if i've repeated anything.
    I too had difficulties with fermentation and my dream of having soft idlis was always once a year on our vacation back home. Now this combo works very well.
    1. 3 cups idli rice (not idli rawa)/parboiled rice (puzhungal arisi) - leveled cups: 1 cup urad dal (heaped).
    Please note that here I'm using broken urad dal (without skin) because we don't get whole urad where we live.
    2. Wash the rice thrice (or until the washed water is clear) and soak along with a handful (about 2.5 tablespoons) aval (poha).
    3. Similarly wash the urad also and soak separately with 1.5 tsps methi seeds (vendayam).
    4. Soak over-night!
    I use a prestige ultra-grind, for your info.
    When ready to grind the next day morning, first grind the rice along with poha ( I use the water used to soak for grinding)
    Grind until coarse consistency... like rawa. So pay attention that it doesn't get smooth and also be careful with the water quantity.
    Since the rice has soaked over-night you'll not need much water!
    Remove the ground rice and then grind the urad. I grind for 45 mts-1hr (it depends on the quality of the dal) adding water every 5 minutes... a tablespoon or so.
    Please remember to scrape the sides every now n then else you'll not have a uniform dough. Again here the quantity of water to be added depends on the urad.
    Add enough to get a fluffy batter (it'll fall like ribbons if ground very well and when you feel it's like afghan snow).
    Mix both the batters together, add 1.5-2 tsps of salt and mix thoroughly using YOUR HANDS!!
    Fill in suitable vessel(s) just 1/2 of the volume,leaving enough space to rise. Leave the batter uncovered for about an hour.
    Cover and then let to ferment. I have a hot plate cooking range with the oven built below the hot plates.
    I leave the batter inside the oven (no pilot light on nothing). It takes a little more than 24 hours to ferment.
    The hotplates themselves generate enough heat while i do regular cooking.
    Sorry for the long post... just wanted to make sure i cover all those teeny-weeny points (if you sorely miss good idlis then you'll understand the need for details!)
    Do let me know if this method works for you as well. And do note that this is for winter season. May be in summer we can do the normal 'indian' way:))

2. SupriyaDinesh

SupriyaDinesh Silver IL'ite

Thank you for a timely helping hand..will try ur method..

3. Traveller

Traveller Gold IL'ite

Thank you Supriya! I forgot to add that my cousin tried the steps with 4 rice: 1 urad dal ratio and said it worked too. So if you need more batter try this combo as well. My fridge is small and also somehow in my mind it's stuck that for idli it's always 3:1 shakehead

4. ptamil2007

ptamil2007 Gold IL'ite

Hi traveller,

That was a nice tip. I was planning to soak for idlis tomm. Shall try your method and let you know.
    Thank you

5. lmani

lmani Senior IL'ite

regarding making soft iddlis

In usa we dont get the rice we get in chennai.What would be the best way to make soft iddlis here.

6. vaidehi

vaidehi Silver IL'ite

Re: regarding making soft iddlis

Hi Imani,

We do get the same rice which we get it in chennai, its called idlli rice or parboiled rice. u can get it from any indian stores by various brands such as priya,lakshmi so on.

Hope its useful for u.

cheers
    vaidehi

7. vidhyalakshmid

vidhyalakshmid IL Hall of Fame

Re: regarding making soft iddlis

Hi,
    You can get Ponni Idli rice in any desi store in central jersey.
    I use 3:1 (rice 3 cups and urad dal 1 cup) ratio. Keep the soaked
    urad dal in fridge.Add a teaspoon of methi seeds while soaking
    the dal. You can try and will get soft idlies.

8. sujakalyan

sujakalyan Silver IL'ite

DEAR travellers and others,

Very useful tip, I have a mixer grinder. Every week I experiment in making idlis softer.
    oooops it used to come out very hard. Pls post some more tips also for making idlis softer.

9. lmani

lmani Senior IL'ite

Thanks any more tips for soft iddlis.

10. Paulina

Paulina Moderator Staff Member Platinum IL'ite

Dear pals,

The little trick I use is to add half a teaspoon of Enos Fruit salt to Iddli batter and

mix it just before you steam it.I use half a teaspoon for 1 cup of iddli batter.What

ever proportion or quality rice or urad dal you chose to use this will set it right and

you will get soft iddlis always even if the fermentation process is not complete.

It always works for me. When the batter gets too fermented it results in acidity

problems, so I do not ferment the batter too much .Enos Fruit salt does the rest of the

job !

PAULINAMy 2cents