Social Media Pressure During Festivals

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by abc00, Aug 21, 2021.

1. abc00

abc00 Gold IL'ite

I don't know what you mean by sign up? Probably you might be thinking I follow their insta...no...I'm only talking about individuals who directly msg me. I'm not in any such chat groups where I have to mute myself. I like to be in fun groups where I can be myself.

2. abc00

abc00 Gold IL'ite

Likewise, thank God you are not in my friends list....I'm replying here only because you posted in my thread. Anyway, Happy Navratri ! Enjoy your routine.

3. abc00

abc00 Gold IL'ite

Thanks for understanding. I do understand my options to mute or unfollow a person but it is about people who directly msg me

4. Anusha2917

Anusha2917 IL Hall of Fame

Op you seem to be offended by a few replies here.
    If somebody personally message you their pooja pics how much time does it take to send a thumbs up or type a 4 letter word "nice"? I didn't get the line it creates pressure. Why get pressurised?
    Anyway you said it's just a vent and don't think you are really looking for solutions like muting the person or unfollowing which you say you are already aware.
    I don't like to personally disturb others by sending them my pics but I do it in my space , in my status or stories.
    If somebody is directly messaging you and you are unable to reply to them it's totally fine. They'll stop sending thinking you are not interested. If they go ahead and give gyan about it you could express your opinion or displeasure about their shares or always make excuses to them that your phone has a low memory and too many pics from them is occupying space in your phone. Either ways they will get that you aren't very happy about them sharing their happiness with you.
    Happy Navratri. :)

5. Mistt

Mistt IL Hall of Fame

@abc00,
    I maintain a very low profile and I never do status updates but share with a few close persons. My friends and others share their updates on status and even some of them like to share all their updates with me. I watch them and post my wishes and compliments according to their uploaded videos/pics.

If you don't like to see their updates, just stop to click their status. If someone share pics to you, just give a emojis smile /happy/thumbs up or simple words of nice and looks good. You are making them more happy with your simple gestures. Isn't it nice feeling?

Don't take any pressure from those sharing updates as they are doing what they like. You do and stick to what make you happy and give priotize to your choices. We don't need to approval from others for everything. I had read quote of " not to compare your life to others and live how you like to" when I was in 10th grade and have been following that quote. Happy Navrathri!

Anusha2917 likes this.
  6. WannabValerie

WannabValerie Silver IL'ite

As long as they got the joy out of performing something ( here the pooja) so oure and auspicious; I dont care if they share or not.

I personally only share to my mother because she feels happy that I am also getting happiness from what she taught me. I dont share to anyone else unless they ask ( many dont care).

Poojas are meant to give some 'being present with higher self' time if not then sharing it 10000s of time and being deseperate for validation isnt going to help at all... thats the opposite of pooja.

Please dont feel pressure. I feel social media is encouraging 'searching outside' and that is whatbis happening. Who are we to say what they should do? they decide to do it and they will get whatever comes out of it.

If you personally beleive that is not the way... just dont heed. Its annoying sometimes, honestly I would like more stuff less show but its what it is right.

One of my friends felt pressure the same way and finally perfprmed puja out of pressure however, she missed the point that Sravana maasa was finished on that day. Yet, I beleive if she had done it with whole of her heart, it is just as good and no less of a joy :).

7. WannabValerie

WannabValerie Silver IL'ite

I get what you are saying... I also think time with God and things likewise are tobe enjoyed from inside.

I once went for a Durga pooja function expecting a good thorough pooja mantras and performing pooja but I ended up seeing bollywood dances and taking selfies with Durga devi moorthi...

Well, I chanted whatever I can infront of the ammavaru ( Godess) and felt very happy really. Thats that.

Some people get joy out if deepness and calmness and quiet ( usually introverts)... some get the same joy being talkitive bright and everywhere ( usually extroverts). Both are cool but just different.

We can never know what the intentions are but what I feel is if you start getting annoyed, it wont help and it personally makes you more gloomy than you want to be.

Just let them do whatever they want and you do what you want ( mute or not seeing status etc)...

abc00 likes this.
  8. abc00

abc00 Gold IL'ite

Wow...thanks for your time to reply in detail.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2021
  9. paru123

paru123 Gold IL'ite

For people who directly message me (and not otherwise annoying and who just want to know my comment/opinion) , I would say nice n just leave it there. If that is an already annoying person I wont comment.

10. Roar

Roar Gold IL'ite

[QUOTE="Anusha2917, post: 4226264, member: 480933] Either ways they will get that you aren't very happy about them sharing their happiness with you.
    Happy Navratri. :)[/QUOTE]

I dont think one can infer that:
    if a person is annoyed by someones constant updates on spiritual stuff, they dislike the person or they dont want to be happy for them.
    I am sure OP will not ignore if they needed some help personally its just that one of tgeie habits is annoying her.

OP, theres no point in asking why they do it... its them and they choose what to do with their media account. On a positive note you can chose what you do with your media too!

abc00 likes this.