1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Social Media Habits & Addictions

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Viswamitra, Dec 15, 2019.

1. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

@ragzz,

Thank you for sharing the video about TikTok. I didn't know about this app until recently. It looks like it is becoming addictive and many working for the Tamil media industry are becoming addicts of this app. I assume TikTok has a semantic search engine to provide the choices based on frequently used videos of the users.

Thyagarajan likes this.
  2. Thyagarajan

Thyagarajan IL Hall of Fame

:hello:What has been suggested to overcome the addiction are those activity which we were engaged in before advent of these gadgets and or internet. Geeks and internet addicts forsake healthy activities including social interaction, minimal mobility, cut down on reading etc.
    2. I myself found my certain activities practised prior to my visit to IL, have dwindled or vanished. Example listening to Carnatic music in radio and in laptop saved items, conversations and chats over phone with my pals and relatives so on & so forth.
    3. It is said habit dies hard. Once it is hardened, difficult to reduce or leave it. Like cigarettes smoking, there is no question of gradually reducing or minimising quantum oftime spent on this irrespective of gadget sports or pastime or whatsoever. Either to stop it once for all or live with it knowing very well the consequences.
    Thanks and Regards.
    God in Vaikunda - enjoys high speed or ultra super seamless internet for doing His biz!

Viswamitra likes this.
  3. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

Dear Thyagarajan Sir,

Precisely. Surfing internet generally with no target in mind, waiting in a social media site expecting new notification to come, reading and writing text messages while in a meeting, telling someone to keep talking while typing in the phone, etc. are perfect signs of excessive use of the gadget and the last two being outright rude.

I can understand checking messages in the morning hours but taking the phone to the bed is a big problem. At least 1 hour before bed, one should give up screen time.

Getting back to old ways of talking to people and family in person, general social interaction, physical exercise, listening to music, etc are welcome. Once we become conscious of screen time, it is easier to control it. When I see someone driving monotonously in an highway with no variation in speed, invariably it is because either they are lost in a conversation with someone or checking their text messages. Use of smartphone has become high in the list of causes of accidents in the US.

Gauri03, Thyagarajan and kkrish like this.
  4. Thyagarajan

:hello:Hello Viswamitraji same is the situation over many parts of India and metros in particular. Comfort & convenience of one has turned into discomfort and dangerous to others.
    With more use of gadgets, muscles might get atrophied early!
    ICD is already common in many youngsters and percentage of population suffering from Anhedonia would be up exponentially with lots of app.

exactly. Time conscious and busy persons and those who have too many irons in the fire would know how to control and avoid being triggered toward untimely unproductive meaningless unrewarding activities that includes many.

Gauri03 and Viswamitra like this.
  5. Thyagarajan

:hello:Me too thinks that way. You have summed up for me here.
    Thanks and Regards.