1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Social Media Habits & Addictions

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Viswamitra, Dec 15, 2019.

1. sln

sln Platinum IL'ite

startinganew likes this.
  2. Amulet

Amulet IL Hall of Fame

For parents that advertisers call "empty nesters", children living away from home, but holding an electronic thingummy that can enable a video contact with a parent is a good thing.:thumbsup:

How much people are stuck to their phone or computer depends on how their jobs had made them so. Many are pretty much always on call, either by the employer/clients, or friends/family. We are evolving through the various advances. Perhaps after a few more decades, we'd all join The Borg, a scifi concept from Star Trek television program that imagined humans becoming electronically wired automatons in a "collective intelligence" that is called "The Borg".

I can now chuckle at the jokes about old handheld devices that controlled our lives too much. Now we have come around to complaining that nobody goes out to do anything any more.
    [​IMG]
    Cartoon source: The Newyorker Magazine.

startinganew and Thyagarajan like this.
  3. Viswamitra

Viswamitra IL Hall of Fame

Thank you Agatha for your valuable response. It is so interesting to see how quickly the children learn to navigate the gadgets. Posting photographs online and even through a private message is getting into dangerous territory in the US and even a Congress woman had to face a lot of humiliation and eventually resign due to her photographs published for general consumption. I wish the children have the same kind of discipline @Gauri03 explained to limit use of electronic devices for a targeted purpose.

It is getting difficult even for adults to be without Wifi. If we postpone something to be done in order to spend time with the electronic gadgets, it is a sign of addiction.

Thyagarajan and Gauri03 like this.
  4. Viswamitra

Dear SLN Sir,

I keenly look forward to your response, Sir. I know you visited this thread but didn't see a response from you.

5. Viswamitra

In my mind, I am exempting those who are spending time for work-related social media access whether it is for marketing or research and development to study the pattern of use of social media. For that matter, communication device was intended for communication only until the Smartphones became a handheld computer. As long as Borg is going to improve the quality of life, I am all for adoption of Borg. At lease for a while, it would be a status symbol.

Thyagarajan likes this.
  6. Gauri03

Gauri03 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

For under 16 year olds the 'show me don't tell me' rule applies. Setting boundaries around children's electronics usage is only effective when parents model discipline in their own digital consumption. I cannot begin to stress how essential it is to equip kids with the right mindset and tools for thriving in the attention economy. Of late I have begun to see increasing references in business and tech literature to 'indistractability' as the skill that will separate the creators from the consumers of the digital age. There are two books by Georgetown professor, Cal Newport based on this concept — Deep Work and Digital Minimalism — that are worth reading. Together they are slightly repetitive but make a strong case for limited and strictly intentional use of the Internet. Combined with his brilliant career-help book, So Good They Can't Ignore You, they are must-reads for young people starting high school, college or new jobs. I often give all three together as gifts to young grads and mentees.

7. Viswamitra

@Gauri03

I was getting ready to go to the Hospice volunteering and I saw your message popped up here. Thank you for sharing the names of the books. I also feel that increased ADD and ADHD like symptoms nowadays among the children is caused by the digital use (should I call misuse?). We hear a lot of "Keep talking, I am listening" from the kids when they are looking into their phone. How can they read the content in the smartphone and simultaneously listen as well? We don't have a parallel processing neurons in our brain for sure. I believe one action has to be on auto pilot while we perform two actions.

Here is a link of such study.

Can cell phone use cause ADHD? - Harvard Health Blog

Thyagarajan, Rihana and Gauri03 like this.
  8. Gauri03

Gauri03 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

@Viswamitra Smart phone use could be a contributing factor, but so far research has only demonstrated a weak correlation between screen-use and mental-health problems. That is not to say obsessive screen usage is not a problem; We should be cautious of apportioning all the blame on one culprit lest we overlook other factors at play. I am completely with you on the multitasking craze. Now that was one of the first truly bad ideas of the 21st century! It took two decades but we've finally circled back to the age-old wisdom of doing one thing at a time and giving it our full attention. My son's school allows kids to listen to music while they work during boost sessions. These are free periods for kids to complete homework or catch up on school work. They require parental consent and I did not allow my son to study with air-pods stuck in his ears. These are 11 year olds! I could never focus on my studies with music playing in the background even in my engineering days. The good thing is that my little guy was perfectly okay with my decision. : )

Thyagarajan, Viswamitra and Rihana like this.
  9. ragzz

ragzz Silver IL'ite

One of the Social Media crazes:
    (sorry I don't have the English translation, but I or someone perhaps can summarize it later)

Viswamitra likes this.
  10. Viswamitra

You are right @Gauri03. All the reports are not conclusive about ADD or ADHD. They all say, "ADD or ADHD like symptoms" but not "ADD or ADHD". Multi-tasking is definitely a root cause of definition of attention span. Initially, I was under the impression that the rushed ads are due to the cost per minute. However, I realized later that ad companies research the attention span of the viewers and realize that they won't focus on the ad more than a certain time. You would also notice that most ads are repetitive in nature of the message that they would like to convey. I wonder what would have been the attention span calculated by the ad companies the first decade of the 21st century as opposed to what it is now in the the second decade of the 21st century.

I am so happy to notice that you have implemented an important principle in the mind of your son. This is going to make a huge difference in his future.

Thyagarajan and Gauri03 like this.