1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

So?!!!

Discussion in 'Cheeniya's Senile Ramblings' started by Cheeniya, Sep 4, 2007.

1. manjukps

manjukps IL Hall of Fame

Dear Sri Uncle. Your post on this monosyllable enlightened me.

During the beginning years of marriage, my DH (not very talkative then) used to talk only in monosyllable when I was getting adjusted with new family and their practices. First 4 months he was not with me, so I had to tackle myself at the new place, when he came to I do the long talks and his replies will be Oh!, Is it?, aama (yes), illa(no), appadiya (is it so?), seri (ok). Now I understand by all these words he let me talk and find my own solutions. How clever he had been?:bonk

Now of course the situation reversed. Now he talks too much about automobiles and computers and I repeat all his monosyllables, just to make him believe that I am hearing.:thumbsup

As you have mentioned in one of your replies, I was really deep down when I was saying 'Yes" always, much later I realized the power of saying 'No". Still I am not able to say No but avoid saying 'Yes' in some situations.

So, The post and Feed backs with lot of valuable quotes and stories persuades me to do serious introspection.

HAPPY TAMIL NEW YEAR

Regards
    Manjukps

2. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

My dear Manju
    I am glad that you understand and appreciate the power of brevity. Lord Dakshinamoorthy never utters a word while He teaches Atma Gnana to the four sons of Brahma and uses only Chin Mudra for the purpose. There is a saying that to make a speech immortal, you don't have to make it everlasting. Most importantly monosyllables give us an air of enigma which is an attribute that can give us protection particularly when we are dealing with people of a dubious nature. When we talk a hundred words, there is every chance of at least ten of them going wrong and landing us in difficulties. But there is no such risk when we are armed with monosyllables! That's the reason why it is said that brevity is the soul of wit!
    Sri

2 people like this.
  3. PriyaKathiravan

PriyaKathiravan Silver IL'ite

A colleague of mine has the habit of saying "appuram ?" , without preamble, as soon as he meets one. No'hullo' No 'how are you'. Its like he has assumed you have said the mandatory vanakkam, inferred you are fine because you are standing in front of him whole and hearty and now wants to know something more important or personal. Its like he is probing your personal space for info. you maynot want to share. Initially, i found his abrupt appurams very unsettling. Now i just shrug, "appuram? Vizhuppuram !" and walk off. Conversation killed by his brevity ;if he has any wit and it has any soul, it remains blissfully unfathomed.

4. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

My dear Priya
    Now that you have brought up 'appuram', without preamble of course, I have a few things to say. 'Appuram' may be the Tamil word for 'then' in English but it is actually the equivalent of 'So' in profound conversations. The mere utterance of so and appuram at the start of a conversation, without preamble as you say, delivers a resounding kick to the otherwise hibernating grey cells and drives you into an awesome profundity mode.

I am really pleasantly surprised that appuram meeting with Vizhuppuram is still in vogue! I have heard it a thousand times from my mum and aunts at very crucial interludes as they sat and narrated spine chilling stories. They would leave the story midway with several questions unanswered in order to answer a call of nature and we would eagerly shout after them 'appuram?' Their answer would be Vizhuppuram as ever.
    Sri

1 person likes this.