1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

So?!!!

Discussion in 'Cheeniya's Senile Ramblings' started by Cheeniya, Sep 4, 2007.

1. rajmiarun

rajmiarun Gold IL'ite

So,
    You are trying to say that you are racked and racked your head to reach your brain and gave us its contents!!!!!

But you know Sri sir,
    So what; Ok so then... all create havocs in any household in the early mornings or in the late nights. Not just adults I even see kids using so, so what in easy conversations not just with peers but also with adults.

It is so so to hear these kids using so. I have seen my uncle using this so so whenever anyone ask him how do you do? But I have never understood the meaning for his so so as he was always good in health and also monetarily.

2. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Dear Rajmi
    For that healthy uncle of yours to say 'So,so' in response to a solicitous enquiry about his health which you say is quite fine, would he be a hypochondriac? Such people always believe that their health could be far better! In some extreme cases, the moment they read symptoms of any disease, they imagine they have it all!
    Jerome K Jerome aptly sums it up in these words:

"It is a most extraordinary thing, but I never read a patent medicine advertisement without being impelled to the conclusion that I am suffering from the particular disease therein dealt with in its most virulent form."
    Sri

3. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

Hi sri,

I have read about this.. and the number of cases is increasing by the day. and there is a name for this condition..or was it called a phobia...racking my small brain is not giving the name...:bangcomp:

4. Cheeniya

Dear Shanthi
    Hypochodria is an excessive obsession with one's health condition. They have all the illness in their imagination. Jerome was referring to a hypochodriac!
    sri

5. sudhavnarasimhan

sudhavnarasimhan Silver IL'ite

dear Cheeniya,
    enjoyed yet again the post on "SO?!!!" and all the subsequent "so's and So so's"

So! you are really coming out with ur ramblings,and give us a good treat with your way with words! So, being a good Sport is it?!he he..... your "So?!!!" is not making me meditative or introspective or contemplative, but on the contrary, its making me more talkative!:mrgreen:

6. Cheeniya

Dear Sudha
    Thanks a lot for pointing out yet another effect of 'So' on people! Yes, it does make some talkative and how!
    So, do you think my So was so, so? Do I continue to be introduced as So and So even after my So?
    Sri

7. mithili

mithili New IL'ite

so...so ....so..it has got a better say sir,might be end of the conversation or the start...so can u give u meaning to ur next start up ....it is definetly a powerful word...i believ u so...

8. Cheeniya

Dear Mithili
    'So' has been put to use in more contexts than any other surviving English word! So be it!
    Sri

9. subbutr

subbutr Senior IL'ite

Dear Sri sir,

Thought provoking simple yet meaningful thread on these " SO "

It has so much meanings in our life....when we introspect within us to find out...

As Saint Ramana Maharishi highlighted on Who am I ... to the Individuals and society.
    Basically the message is " "Salvation or Self-Realization is for all"
    irrespective of one is a Hindu or not !!!
    It is in this sense that we should approach the message of one-ness taught by the Advaita school led by Sankara.
    There are three orders of reality.
    The Absolute Reality, that is brahman and brahman alone.
    The complete unreality, like the horns of a hare, or like squaring the circle if one wants to use the modern scientific language.
    In between these two extremes there is a phenomenal reality which is like the apparent reality of the dream world.
    A dream is neither real nor unreal. It is real to the person who dreams.
    It is unreal to the same person after he wakes up from the dream.
    This is the most important point.
    A dream is not a dream or illusion to the dreamer.
    So long as we dream, so long as we are seeing only the plurality of this mundane world, it is as real to us as the dream is to the dreamer.
    The world is unreal only to the seer who has waken up to the reality of the Absolute -- like a Saint Ramana Maharishi.
    For them the only real thing is the Absolute brahman.
    What they see before them is also brahman. They see brahman everywhere.
    So the world has not vanished absolutely. The world has vanished from their point of view.
    So if they keep on telling us that the world is an illusion or mithyA, it is like someone appearing in our dream & telling us, you better wake up from the dream & wake up to the reality.
    We are so much engrossed in our dream that we are not prepared to listen to the advice of Sankara.
    Thus between the formless & nameless Absolute which is the Ultimate Reality and the total unreality of non-existence, there is the intermediary apparent reality of this phenomenal world , which appears to be real but is not absolutely real.
    For this Ramana Maharishi asks us to go the example of the mirage.
    The water in the mirage is only an illusion. I see the water in the mirage.
    I go near it and realise that there is no water. But once I come back I see there is again the appearance of the water.
    This analogy is to tell you that how even after realisation, the illusion may still appear as real.
    Let us accept that any analogy has its own limitation.
    The analogies have to be taken only to that extent where we do not overdo it.
    Once the point of the analogy is made, there is no use in continuing the analogy. Thus here the objection is raised as follows.
    The water of the mirage does not quench my thirst, but in this supposedly unreal world, I have my thirst, hunger etc. and all these are quenched by the happenings in this world.

All these are quenched by the happenings in this world.
    For this Ramana asks us to look at the analogy of the dream.
    Within the dream we may have thirst, and it may be quenched by the water in the dream; so also hunger.
    Dream analogy is a great blessing. What else is a dream for? Nobody knows.
    In God’s creation, the value of a dream seems to be only this. To tell you how unreal is the world.
    Without the dream analogy it is impossible even to mentally conceive of the possible unreality of the phenomenal world from a different point of view, namely the absolute point of view.
    A dreamer wakes up usually only when something unpleasant happens within his dream.
    No dreamer ends up his dream while still in the happy state, except when an external force acts.
    This is because man’s natural state is happiness.
    Realising one’s natural state of happiness is moksha, according to Sankara.
    By a complete absorption of the body, mind and intellect in this eternal state of knowledge and happiness is what is called realisation of one’s self.
    In order to do this one has not to chase it or do anything else, says Sankara.
    The removal of Ignorance is the only thing to be done.
    Automatically our natural state will be realised.
    Do an introspection and investigate about your self starting the probing from a ruthless analysis of your own mind and its vagaries.

Try to get away from its external occupations and make it preoccupied with questions like; What is making the mind think? What is really behind it?
    Who is the thinker? Why are you not able to control the mind?
    What is more permanent than the mind? Wherefrom does the mind derive its strength?
    Besides the physical brain where the external hardware processes the thoughts of the mind, what is the software that forms the source for all the vibrations of the mind?
    When does it spring forth? Who is operating this software?
    If the answer comes up saying that it is you who are operating the software, then is that ‘you’ different from the ‘you’ which stands behind, watching the mind?
    Can you watch the mind unperturbed by any of its goings-on?
    In that sense can you still the mind? Now who is this 'you’?
    Sankara and all the other exponents of advaita plead with us to keep on asking these questions and try to get convincing answers within oneself from oneself. Certainly they also ask us to go to a teacher. But a teacher can only point the way. The final analysis has to be done by oneself on oneself.
    Seers have declared emphatically that the quality and intensity of the internal struggle to get at these answers differ from person to person and it depends upon one’s stage of spiritual evolution and the struggle he has already put in through all his various lives.

Jiddu Krishnamurthyji has utilaized the path of invoking the Mind to find the answers, where as Saint RamanaMaharishi has enhanced one's mind to explore the spiritual awareness.
    There is only one truth, only men describe it in different ways is the concept.
    That in which all these worlds seem to exist steadily, that of which all these worlds are a possession, that from which all these worlds arise, that for which all these exist, that by which all these worlds come into existence and that which is indeed all these - that alone is the existing reality.
    Let us cherish that Self, which is the Reality, in the Heart.

More to interact with this elite group of members...
    Subbu

10. Cheeniya

Dear Subbu
    Thanks a lot for that long and scholarly exposition on Awasthathrayam. It would have been more appropriate in a Chitvish forum! I dont profess much knowledge of these matters and I live my life without much of an awareness of such esoteric questions.

As they say in Medical circles, too much of knowledge of one's body and health is bad particularly if he happens to be a hypochondriac! In such matters I think, Ignorance is bliss!

I am really frightened that my "so", which was written as some kind of a light-hearted satire, can provoke such profound introspection. That puts a load on what I plan to write next! All I can say is please dont take me seriously. I basically write about what this life is all about from my own personal experience!

Sri