1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

So what if a girl is dark??

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by ArabianDoll, Mar 19, 2008.

1. Devika Menon

Devika Menon Gold IL'ite

Hey Arabian Doll,

I agree there is this mad fixation with most Indians about fair skin. Though I honestly feel that its high time we came out of it.
    But the hard fact is that it seems to be here for some more time ,so you need to see the brighter side of it.
    The winners of the Miss. India contests over the past few years has been girls with a tanned or dark skin, like Sushmita Sen,Lara Dutta, Diana Hayden (who went on to win the Miss. World and the Miss. Universe titles ) and the very recent Sarah . The people of the west are absolutely floored by our Indian skin. The recent spate of marriages of West taking a bride from India (mostly girls with a tanned complexion) has proved it further.
    Dont let these mindless people bog your confidence down . Please have faith in what God has gifted you. External appearances can be made pleasant not by whitening creams and bleaches but with a golden heart. Be happy ,it will make you more radiant than any fair skinned girl.

All the very best to you in Life . I am sure you will definitely find someone who loves you for who you are and not what you look like , and that will make the relation last a lifetime!!

Regards,
    Devika

2. Oviya

Oviya Silver IL'ite

Pushkala,

It was Arabiandoll who started this thread.......

Thanks....

3. aquamarine

aquamarine Senior IL'ite

Hi AD,

a good point dear....we are wheatish in colour and yet are termed dark and all that...and the ponnu parkara padalam is hell on any girl...i had to undergo the trial from when i was 18 thanks to mom's effort on trying to get me married soon...but i think she supported my choice and i got married in my late 20's to a sensitive man who loves me just as i am.....i think you will get someone who loves you as you are....just wait....as for colour...if a person is not marrying you for colour reasons...then girl you are really rid of him...he is just a shallow person who would just be cribbing away his life......

warm wishes,

aqua.

4. Nandshyam

Nandshyam IL Hall of Fame

Hihihihi.. free advice for Oviyaa too, huh :)

5. ArabianDoll

ArabianDoll Senior IL'ite

Thankyou for uplifting my spirits and giving such a positive response.To be open,Iam normally a optimistic person who stand against all odds in my male dominated society.I neve felt myself inferior,but when this issue comes,i used to feel frustrated not because allainces are getting rejected(thank God ) but because of why to be married with such taunts and remarks...but now after hearing all ur meaningful words...i feel like i have drunk bottles of boost!

6. Nandshyam

Nandshyam IL Hall of Fame

lots of boost :mrgreen:....You are a very healthy person, then!!!!!!!!!! which is good, yeah ;)

7. KrutikaRao

KrutikaRao Senior IL'ite

Many think this complexion consious is gone, but I recently found out that the evil still exist, the hard way. People who still have inferiority complex and dont believe in their own capabilities still look for "color".

A close friend of mine was about to have a gril baby and she was advised by both her mil and dh to eat certain foods and avoid certain others to ensure the baby is born fair! :eek:mg: I was not surprised at her mils reaction, but the dh!! He himself is dark skinned who fell in love with a dusky beauty and had a love marriage and he thought if his daughter was not fair, how whould she get married. Mind you he is in late 20s not 50s. I was taken aback but that:shock:

8. mui kanva

mui kanva Senior IL'ite

Dear Arabiandoll
    I might not say anything different from what other friends in the forum has said.. Indians have now become so crazy about fair complexion.. thanks to the promos that we come across too.. Nevertheless, not being fair in complexion is not a fault nor something to feel sorry about.. All of us know there are many famous personalities who are not fair complexioned and yet they are famous for their achievements in their resp. fields. I once heard one of my friends saying that she met Kajol in the airport and without make-up she was looking worse than a servant maid.. No.. that was not right.. She is famous for her acting not for her complexion. So.. complexion hardly matters and dont bother about the community.. Dont think they rejected you, but think he is not worth enough to get you.. After all, will you be happy in a family who thinks this silly complexion is more important?? bonk

9. Balajee

Balajee IL Hall of Fame

If the Karuppu phobia does not exist the fairness cream business will collapse and thousands will be jobless!

10. Gayathri Krishn

Gayathri Krishn New IL'ite

Hi,

There are certain social malaise that you just cannot change. In fact I know many dark women mostly servantmaids who are very pretty with chiselled features,sparkling teeth,neat and healthy braids or kondais. Color is surely not the in thing,but I don't know how/when people are going to change. But these ponnu parkara padalams are far better when compared to certain people in one's own family. I for one have an old maternal aunt(she will never forgive me for calling her old) who lives in USA and insists that all fair people are the only beautiful ones. She dotes on only one of her neices because she is fairer than the rest of us. So there!

Gayathri Krishn