Snow fall in China in Feb-Mar 2008

Discussion in 'Indians in China' started by Padmash, May 24, 2008.

1. vidhya parani

vidhya parani Senior IL'ite

hi padma,
    great pics...your place looks very beautiful under snow....listen to my sad story...after sailing around the world for 3 years, i have never seen snow in real life...we went to places where it snows but only in summer so missed out on that..i've seen only ground frost in melbourne and new orleans...when we made mainland trip last december i was eager to see snow..but by the time we went to beijing and great wall (around christmas) it was freezing cold but no snow...but we saw some snow on the way to beijing on the train (yes we tavelled by the HK-beijing superfast express) just one village was covered in snow, nothing before that or after that...i was tempted to break open the train window and jump out to enjoy snow:biggrin2:
    hi krithika,
    yes, australia, New zealand and southern parts of south america have reverse seasons as the northern hemisphere...i remember it was very very cold in sydney, melbourne, ports in new zealand and ports in chile around july/august...on ship, they throw a party whenever a person crosses the equator for the first time...i got one too...
    but china and HK being in northern hemisphere, seasons start almost the same time as in U.S. except for that spring officially starts with chinese new years day some time in february..

Last edited: May 26, 2008
  2. Jithiks

Jithiks Gold IL'ite

Hi Padma,

Sure can understand the excitement with which you clicked the pictures ! Same here, last year..the same time..it was extremely hot..now the weather is warm and pleasant !

Do post more pictures at your convenience !

Hi Vidhya,

Your life seems pretty amazing..what with most of the time sailing around in ships.
    So, tell me..you must have covered/sailed around the entire world..right?

As of now, you are in land..i guess...?
    Do share you experiences..a better :idea..if you don't mind.. share your wonderful experiences in the ship ( of course things that can be shared in this forum) !

I believe it will make an interesting read ! What do you think?

Cheers
    Krithika

3. vidhya parani

vidhya parani Senior IL'ite

hi krithika,
    sure will try to write about my sailing experiences...thanks for giving me the idea and encouragement...when i sailed with DH we covered all the continents except antartica, about 25 countries in all...now settled ashore after having the baby, because i strongly feel a child needs care and company of both parents to grow up into a healthy individual...i have seen a lot of our friends' children missing their sailing father badly...

4. pal_sak

pal_sak New IL'ite

hi padma
    this is pallavi i m new to this community. actually i wanted to know hows it to live in Tianjin? and also if u cud give me ur email. Reason being we r moving to Tianjin from singapore in Jan 2009. and i wanted to know whether there r Indians and many other things. It would b gr8 if u cud help me.thx

5. Padmash

Padmash Platinum IL'ite

hi Pallavi,

i will pm you my email id ......which part of tianjin you will stay...we are at TEDA near Tang gu.... you can ask me whatever you want. Basically i will tell you there are two indian restaurants in tianjin but no indian kitchen or any shop which can provide indian grocery items....all the grocery items you have to get from Beijing only one indian kitchen is there that is near indian kitchen restaurant in chaoyang district....we purchase from there only ...you give me your id i will mail you that address....few things are available at western shop and carrefour and at wal mart too....but if possible while coming to tianjin you bring little grocery items with you ....in chinese shops and any shopping mall you can get green gram that whole moong dal with skin you will never get chana dal or toor dal sometimes dried peas are available...turmeric, sounf, cloves and cinnamon are available in abundant.. rest other spices damn difficult to get....rest other thing you ask me whatever you want...one most important thing there taxi driver dont understand anything in english so if you have any chinese friend get all the basic things writtne in chinese for your help...still we do this or you have to go for a interpreter which is costly and unreliable too...but once you overcome these basic problem life will be easier...

take care,
    Padma

6. Padmash

Padmash Platinum IL'ite

hi Pallavi,

i tried to pm you but you have not enabled that one so i cant pm you my email id and we are not supposed to write email id in public forum.

Padma

7. Padmash

Padmash Platinum IL'ite

hi Pallavi...

i am attaching brochure of indian kitchen in this post you can get address of indian grocery shop in beijing...this will be very helpful to you....

Attached Files:

8. drmchsraj

drmchsraj New IL'ite

Sorry to bump this but good info, thanks :)

9. Nidhijoy16

Nidhijoy16 New IL'ite

Hi Padma, and other Member,
    Great greeeting
    Its seems that there will heavy winter in Feb-March. I am travelling to Shangai in feb end from Chennai. What type of Woolean wear to wil suggest me to take with me?

10. mankan

mankan Gold IL'ite

i am living in guangzhou,i have visited shanghai in last december2010 and two days back i came from shanghai....its too too cool always in minus degrees.
    the weather is same till april.
    so i suggest u to take lots of woollenclothing...including warmer, woollen leggings[1 jeans or pants wont be enough..u have to wear warm leggings under your jeans or pants]...high neck sweaters , thick jacket,i wear woollen tops under my sweaters,woollen socks, gloves, woollen caps and mufflers.if u have long loose woolen jacket would be better so that u can wear on 3-4 woollens[ warmer, top,and sweater]..
    there is snow fall right now and no sunlight.if i go for 1 or 2 days i dont take bath...even the water in ponds was frozen.

hope this helps
    thanks