1. Looking for an Interesting Craft Project? : Plethora of Ideas
    Dismiss Notice

Smocked round cushion with leaf design

Discussion in 'Embroidery' started by artvani, Oct 16, 2010.

1. artvani

artvani Platinum IL'ite

Materials needed

Satin cloth 70 cm x 176 cm
    2 big cloth covered buttons

I could not get buttons of the size I wanted. I got plastic disks having 5 cm diameter cut from school badge maker, made two holes using hot nails, passed a thick thread through the holes and tied a knot. I then covered them with sponge sheet and fabric.

Design used -- leaf design. We can use any design we want.
    Size of the square used --3cm x 3cm

Mark the graph as shown in the figure leaving 1 cm all around for seams. Squares should come in the center and the parallel lines on the sides. You can do the smocking by just drawing the squares in the middle.I prefer to draw lines at the sides also. We can use these lines as guide lines while pleating. Finish the edges by Zigzag stitches. This stops the edges from fraying and hindering our work while smocking. The squares that are marked along the length (176 cm) should always be of an even number. This decides the circumference of the cushion. The squares marked along the width depend upon the design and thickness of the cushion we want. The length of the parallel line decides the diameter of the cushion.

Join the shorter edges together matching the graph as shown in the figure to form a tube. Do the smocking by joining two points together. This forms a cover for a round cushion

Measure the circumference and width of the smocked tube. Stitch inner cushion of the same size of the smocked piece as illustrated in the figures.
    Cover the inner cushion with smocked cover as shown in the figures.

I have used the smocked piece to make a cushion cover and not to make a cushion. By doing so we can smock as many covers as we want and can store them in a small place.We can change them whenever we want by untying the knot that holds the the pleats on one side. Long thread can be used while stitching the pleats and then the extra thread remains after tying cab be pushed in side the opening.By doing so we need not stitch the pleats again. Washing covers is easier than washing cushions.
    There is another method in which poly fill is directly filled in the smocked cover and openings are covered with cloth covered buttons.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 16, 2010
    mimian and DhanaJana like this.

2. artvani

artvani Platinum IL'ite

Continued............

Attached Files:

1 person likes this.
  3. artvani

artvani Platinum IL'ite

conrinued............

Attached Files:

4. ramvino

ramvino Platinum IL'ite

thanks vani for the procedures and graph in detail...and idea is very nice to make cushion cover instead of making cushion itself....i want to do square shaped one instead of round one that too cover (leaf shaped cushion cover)so we can wash easily na?? eagerly waiitng for your answer vani!! now i am i nthe way of doing one round shaped cushion which one i watched in Megatv programme and that is easy to make but have to need so much patience to make the final product so stitching part is there to finish and have to fill the cotton in that!! so will finish it today and post it in IL!! one more query abt the last part i mean the elastic part..please explain how to fix the button on this?? have to cut the elastic or??

5. artvani

artvani Platinum IL'ite

Hi Ramvino
    I too had watched the program in Mega TV.I don't like the idea of filling the smoked piece with poly fill.I like change the covers often.How many cushions we can store.I thought stitching covers is the best.Washing also is easy.I have done square cushion cover with leaf design.UT has come out very well ( patting my own back!)In my next post I will post about the method of calculating the material
    needed.

6. ramvino

ramvino Platinum IL'ite

yes Defnetly vani!! i also agree with you the same dear....i also will do the covers from now.......

7. gopalan

gopalan Silver IL'ite

RESPECTED VANI MADAM;

Thank you very much for the reply and procedure for making round cushion.
    Once gain thank you so much madam.
    regards
    gopalan

8. Pavithra55

Pavithra55 Gold IL'ite

wow wow wow splendid explanation. thanx for sharing

9. nityakalyani

nityakalyani Gold IL'ite

Thank you Vani for giving a detailed procedure of doing a smocking cushion. Thanks for all the effort

10. deepa04

deepa04 Gold IL'ite

vani mam,
    thank you very much for your wonderful tutorial.it is very useful to us.
    thanks a lot.
    :bowdown