1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Smileys Be(a)ware

Discussion in 'Friends & Neighbours' started by SpringB, Jun 10, 2019.

1. SpringB

SpringB Platinum IL'ite

We all use the most basic graphic icon, the smiley face or an emoticon all the time. In this world of online communication smileys are everywhere. Smileys are used as a common form of expression to express emotions to accompany the text. Most of us cannot send a line of text without an emoji. When a simple Laugh out Loud can be expressed with a laughing smiley emoji why bother sending extra three set of words. Now how often are we using them with care or or do we overuse them? What can go wrong with a simple tongue wink smiley right? Hell can break loose when used in wrong context. I am more of an ‘Idiom’ person than an idiotic one but this incident made me feel completely idiotic.

It all started with sharing a simple photograph of mine in the wrong channel. I avoid sharing my pictures for two simple reasons, one is the fear of being mocked as that happened earlier when I sent a selfie (and that was the first and last selfie I took) and another I do not look good if not taken in certain pose. In a recent occasion where I took many pictures I formed a collage of the pictures and sent that to friends and family which didn’t include my photo. Few friends asked for a latest picture of mine and I had to put off that request until I came across a good one.

As luck would have it one of my recent pictures taken during a moment of silence (maybe before or after the exact moment which I didn’t know) came out well and I was reminded of the request and decided to share with a few. Without thinking I shared it in the usual channel instead with the people who asked for it. Deleting something you shared is looked upon offensive and so I let it be though I mentioned that it was something I wrongly shared. Comments started coming in like why I looked like that and I had to mention when it might probably have been taken as I was not even looking at the camera. Here comes another comment with tongue wink smiley (why someone else in the picture was speaking if it was a silent moment) that made me say that it was not a funny moment. All the hell broke loose. Though initially a friend pitched in supported me and offered explanation while the other who tongue winked accepted and moved on the course of conversation led one thing to another finally all ending with sad note. Or it might have been something to do with an earlier conversation where I was questioned on some idiotic comments I made that had spilled over into this conversation.

Now do you understand how a small smiley could cause havoc and break a good friendship over a silly matter. I should probably not have shared that picture or I should have let it be not mentioning it was not a funny moment or bereaving moment. Why couldn’t I have said “No Comments” and simply moved on.

With smileys usage is it so hard to forget the actual human emotion behind it? Maybe these are the risks of online communication. But I still feel that the stand I took to express that the moment was not funny to be laughed at is correct and might have costed me few friendships or they might try to understand(if they want) and come back. I don’t know that. All I know is the loss of few friendships over a smiley.

Let us be aware of using the correct smileys in appropriate places valuing human emotions more than just a smiley.

Note to self & lesson learnt - no more sharing of pictures even with close knit groups. This is just a rant and not intended to bash my friends.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2019
    Thyagarajan likes this.

Similar Threads
    1. rgsrinivasan
      Replies:
      Views:
  2. Thyagarajan

Thyagarajan IL Hall of Fame

@SpringB

:hello: Thanks. The post is kind of warning.
    2. The hazards of smiley usage has been well emphasised.
    3. Same arguments or and analysis holds good for “blind forwards “ of WhatsApp forwards caused chaos and even arrests with some top head rolling the world over including TAMILNADU the state I live in.
    4. One should be careful even forwarding videos and film hits through face book and other social websites.
    5. Smart apps reported available to morph images in video and such worked up videos used for blackmail.
    Yes. Your post made us aware & Beware.
    God bless.

SpringB likes this.
  3. SpringB

SpringB Platinum IL'ite

Thank you @Thyagarajan sir for your (only) comment and feedback. True blind forwards are even more dangerous especially warnings regrading some food or products usage. Not to mention the tiktok videos that get forwarded these days. so many innocent faces in those videos who is unaware that the whole world is watching their video.

Thyagarajan likes this.
  4. Minion

Minion Platinum IL'ite

Sometimes I feel we are returning to a the old Egyptian style writing using pictures

[​IMG]

Thyagarajan and SpringB like this.
  5. SpringB

SpringB Platinum IL'ite

True that. I was searching for this picture. thanks for sharing. Egyptian hieroglyphics had more to it than just specifying symbols.

Thyagarajan likes this.
  6. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Spring, twenty plus years ago, when I was in college, we had a lab assistant who was a nice guy, always helpful, made sure we never failed in practicals exam and helped with the experiments and projects. One day he was coming out of the lab holding a box as I was walking towards the lab. Many classmates were behind me. To avoid bumping into him, I moved to my left. Raghu moved to his right. I moved to my right. He moved to his left. This Michael Jackson performance continued for a good 60 seconds with some backward steps included. All the students and other lab assistants laughed their guts out.

I went on to learn that such break dance happens often in life. We try to fix something, the fix is not right, we fix it again, the other person also tries to fix.... That is what happened with your will not share, will share, share to wrong group, will not delete, respond to comments, detailed explanation and so on.

Your friends were simply pulling your leg. Didn't it feel good when they asked for your picture? It's nice when someone cares to ask. Such commentary is common among friends. Not so serious as to break friendships.

There are times in life when one should "show, not tell." Move on without comments. Do not spoil that with "No Comments."

That is a really tall order. I don't even know what half the smileys on my phone or elsewhere mean. My fat fingertips often choose the wrong smiley. Sometimes I choose a smiley but it shows up different after posting. If a friend got offended over a smiley, I would seriously consider that to be a high maintenance friendship and cool down the frequency and quality of contact.

We care about our pictures more than other people do. If you are sensitive about how you look in pictures, share only the good pictures and give no explanation. But do not isolate yourself with a no more sharing self-ban.

SpringB, Agathinai and sbonigala like this.
  7. Thyagarajan

LOL
    thanks and regards.
    God dilly dallys with award of blessings.

8. Thyagarajan

LOL.
    thanks and regards.
    God dilly-dally with award of blessings.

9. SpringB

SpringB Platinum IL'ite

First of all thank you for taking time to respond. Sure I can totally understand the underlying issue.
    this I need to learn

nah nah-no way. mentioning that it was used in wrong context didn’t go well with them.

will try to.