1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Slumdog Millionaire

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by sundarusha, Nov 23, 2008.

1. sundarusha

sundarusha Gold IL'ite

I saw this movie yesterday as it came with rave reviews in the local paper and was talked about in NPR ( National Public Radio).
    For receiving such wide reviews, I was somewhat surprised that only one theater in town screened it. Anyway, the theater was packed.

In the movie, there were no big names except for Anil Kapoor and that too not in the lead role. There were quite a few gory details which made a few elderly westerners walk out in the beginning. It was refreshing to see no group dance numbers (which irritates hubby) except in the very end with the titles as if to compensate for it. The director Danny Boyle must be some kind of alchemist who spins tragedy into joy, pain into laughter, and poverty into riches.

Hope more impoverished kids in India get to enjoy such a life about one among them. Without giving away the storyline, go see the movie for yourself.

It is absolutely worth watching. You'll love the newcomers Dev Patel and Freida Pinto.

2. Gowri66

Gowri66 Gold IL'ite

Usha,

Even i read the reviews about this film, especially about the performance of Dev Patel ...... Good to hear from you too.

With love,
    Gowri

3. sundarusha

sundarusha Gold IL'ite

Gowri

Do let us know how you liked the movie when you get a chance to see it.

4. Anandchitra

Anandchitra IL Hall of Fame

Usha you have written a very nice review though I can somewhat guess whats the movie about.. there are some movies which are really good which comes along once in a while. Will it to list which has been growing for many years now..yet to catch up!

5. sonalipd

sonalipd New IL'ite

Hi I heard it not being released everywhere...Also would like to know if ypu have read the book earlier Q & A by ......swarup.I dont remember the name..If you have can you tell me if the movie is as good as the book.I loved that book and do not want to see the movie if its Ok in comparison

6. sundarusha

sundarusha Gold IL'ite

Hi Chitra,

Of late, I too have become a reluctant movie-goer, family has to drag me. But this one I initiated. Do make some time to watch good ones.

7. sundarusha

sundarusha Gold IL'ite

Hi Sonali,

I have not read the book Q & A, in fact after watching the movie only, I came to know about the book.
    I too was wondering if the movie was released widely.
    I would like to know about its release in India.
    Thanks for writing in.

8. jaijui0

jaijui0 Senior IL'ite

hi sundarusha,
    nice review ..the movie is incredible ..at first i was angry at the exploitation of our indian kids ete ..but it turned out to be a joy..yes the lead pair are so sweet ..just heard today it has received 10 Oscar nominations yeahhhh already has won 4 golden globe awards yeahhh lol !
    jaijui

9. sundarusha

sundarusha Gold IL'ite

Hi jaijui

Yes, I too felt uncomfortable in the beginning scenes, especially watching this movie during the first week of its screening among predominantly western crowd.

The movie will change the world of Bollywood, let us hope. My children watched it two weeks ago and the theatre was still very packed.

It deserves all the nominations and the awards.

10. depressed

depressed Bronze IL'ite

Dear Sundarusha,

I saw "Slumdog Millionaire" First Day First Show, at the time of its release. I found the movie very disturbing... I hope that no children have to live such a life...with so much pain and horror...

But In India, wherever I look around, I see lives like that. I used to do social science research on slum children and I found out their lives are exactly as depicted in the movie "slumdog millionaire".
    It is sad, disturbing but true.

Thanks for highlighting the issue through the movie.

With regards,

HAPPY