1. Would you like to join the IL team? See open jobs!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. What can you teach someone online? Tell us here!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If someone taught you via skype, what would you want to learn? Tell us here!
    Dismiss Notice

Slow Cooker

Discussion in 'Recipe Central' started by rizi, Jan 27, 2017.

1. rizi

rizi Junior IL'ite

Hello Everyone
    How many of you all use slow cooker for your indian cooking?
    thanks

2. gknew

gknew Gold IL'ite

Hi,
    I use slow cooker for making soup...non veg soup..haven't tried any other recipes in that...

3. armummy

armummy Platinum IL'ite

I do use for Indian food , dals , garvy curries , chiken dishes , kheer , ghee etc ..

Try to check mchilli.blogspot.com , it has some tips to help with slow cooking .

You need some getting used to slow cooker and do some trails to adjust your recipes for your taste .
    But in general dals come out very well , I found chiken also great.

Rihana likes this.
  4. luvmygirlnbean

luvmygirlnbean Silver IL'ite

I tried to experiment with slow cooker and failed. I had no patience to wait for 6-8 hours for dal or curry. My cooking has to be completed within 2 hours max per day. I stick with my steel pressure pans/ cooker and steel rice cooker to get best outcome. I am also curious to know if this is being used frequently in indian cooking.

5. armummy

armummy Platinum IL'ite

Yes , if we are at home and start slow cooker , we run out of patience quickly but
    Put stuff in it and go out for 3 , 4 hours , come back to a cooked chicken or dal, then you will feel the real use of it.

My husband used to WFH some time ago and I used to start to office by 7 am. So a prep of 10 minutes in the morning would have a dal or some curry ready for my husband and kid by afternoon. Husband used to make rice , so it worked out well. But it will take some trying and tweaking of recipes to get good results.

6. yellowmango

yellowmango IL Hall of Fame

I used to make Rajma and chole in it.....specially for parties.Prepare the masala ,put in the soaked rajma and let it cook for 5-6 hrs. One thing out of the way .

KashmirFlower likes this.