Slogam(s) and Mantra(s) not to be chanted by women?

Discussion in 'Queries on Religion & Spirituality' started by mkthpavi, Jan 28, 2008.

1. mkthpavi

mkthpavi Senior IL'ite

Dear all,

I recently came to know that there are some restrictions on what Shlokas and Mantras women can chant / recite?

Could some elders and knowledgeable members in IL enlighten us further on this, and if possible, provide a list of Dos and Donts?

The only thing I am aware is that Gayatri Mantra shd not be chanted by women? Is this understanding correct?

Thanks and love
    Pavithra

Last edited: Jan 28, 2008
  2. rajmiarun

rajmiarun Gold IL'ite

As far as I learnt from my Grandfather there is no such restriction even to chant Gayathri Mantra. Only thing is you cannot do Sandhyavandana or Madhyaniga and then chant it but you could chant the Mantra.

The same goes to Rudram, Namakam and Chamakam also. The restriction was placed just because it should not be chanted during the menstural period.

By hearing I have learnt Rudram, Namakam Chamakam etc, and when I hear it, I chant along with the cd, and along with those who are chanting it in a very low voice. I have not been asked to stop by any elders till date.

3. mkthpavi

mkthpavi Senior IL'ite

Thanks Rajmi, for your prompt response!

Regards
    Pavithra

4. rrajago

rrajago New IL'ite

Just thought I will share my 2 cents worth. What I am repeating is something I heard my teacher say about why women dont do sandhyavandhanam (the choice of words is important - dont not cant).

Apparently, when we men recite teh vedas, rudram, sandhya vandhanam etc. we take sankalpam - which means we take a vow to start and finish it. Women, inherently cant take a sankalpam. because as a housewife or more importantly as a mother her primary allegiance is to children and family. if a child cries she will be drawn to it. she will think about the dinner and household duties (which is appropriate - else there will be no prasadam and sumptuous food after pooja). IN fact because she makes all these sacrifices, women are expempt from doing sandhyavandanam. They dont need to do it as they are have inherent compassion and the ability and desire to make sacrifices for others. Men need such disciplines in life so that on a daily basis the spirtuality is reinforced.

1 person likes this.
  5. vathsala30

vathsala30 Platinum IL'ite

i too heard that gayathri should not be chanted by women but some say that there is no such rules. It is really confusing. so waiting to take advice from some noble person who can guide us correctly

6. Muthuraji

Muthuraji IL Hall of Fame

I don't think Gayathri Mantra can't be recited by women. We can chant. Also, only Sri Suktam and Durga Suktam can be chanted by women, but not the Purusha Suktam. These were told by our family elders. I have just shared my known knowledge, people known well, can please share their ideas and views.

7. swamy24598

swamy24598 New IL'ite

Vedas permit women to chant all vedic mantras before Dharma Sastra was pronounced

After dharma sastra was introduced by Manu in his Smruthi, it was not allowed by Vedic Pandits, and now women (I am sorry to point out here as women, but especially of today's generation girls) does not even know important mantras to be used at appropriate time for appropriate home functions too....

Hope this is elaborate....
    sorry for poking nose here

Regards all

iammom likes this.
  8. sudha05

sudha05 Junior IL'ite

No no gayatri mantra should not be chanted by ladies.It should not even chanted like a song.
    Gayatri should be chanted by those men who got it as updesha.
    I am a bhramin my grandpa is a vadhyar(PUNDIT JI).I once chanted gayatri mantra like a song which is usually sung in school prayer assembly.For that he said that women should not chant this.
    Chanting any RAHASYA mantra without upadesha will give bad affect.Please dont punish yourself .
    Consult elders and don t angry god.

CHANT HARE RAMA HARE KRISHNA MOST POWERFUL AND EFFECTIVE MANTRA.ANY ONE AND EVERY ONE CAN CHANT THIS.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2013