1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Slippery Soaps

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by satchitananda, Dec 12, 2016.

1. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

It's not seldom that I come in here and start writing something. Then I forget what it was that I wanted to say. Very often I just write two lines and then am stuck. It probably is a sign for one to shut up and write nothing. But that is not part of my Nature. Besides, it is really long since I bored all you guys here.

Life is rather boring these days. I mean, there is nothing exciting happening. I am unable to jump around as I did a decade ago. It is dull and raining outside. I am all alone at home since the BH is out of town. So what does one do? You Tube is giving me a headache these days, so is NDTV Live. So I watch a few serials and a list of stuff strikes me as peculiar.

• People always think aloud, especially when they are conspiring against someone else and that someone else is always standing at the door and listening in.

• When someone wants to celebrate an event, the huge mansion is decked up with lights in a split second. People including the elderly break out into song and dance at the drop of a hat. Alternatively they all gather in the family mandir to do pooja or sit together in the living room and chat and eat kachoris and samosas. Do they not have to work?

• Talking of which, I have not seen anyone being lazy - meaning just lounging in bed with a book or in front of a telly. They either work in offices or kitchens or keep hatching plots and roaming about outside the house.

• Every family or at least a couple of members of the family must go to jail - frequently sent there by members of the family.

• Families keep growing. No, not by way of little entrants into the world. People (friends, relatives, relatives of friends, friends of relatives) keep joining the family and staying on for ever more. They never leave. These are free to plot, injure, kill other members of the family for any reason! BTW, the method used to kill can vary from strangling, poisoning (they seem to have loads of chloroform and sleeping tablets at the ready whenever the situation demands it), shooting, damaging car brakes to tying bombs around individuals.

• It is a free country. One is free to slap anyone, anytime for any reason or for no reason whatsoever except that they just feel like it. DILs are meant to be worshipped when they do something good for the family and to be kicked out at the slightest hint of a 'mistake'. They are not allowed to make 'mistakes'. They are either devis or she-devils.

• The lead couple is always torn asunder by people, events or situations. They do eventually patch up, only to be torn apart again.

• Television serials love to believe that they are trying to encourage women's causes. So it is that an upcoming serial where the mother works hard to educate her daughters asks the audience whether they know a family who would 'allow' her daughters to work even after marriage. Seriously? Which era is this? Another spoiler shows the two daughters married, in a mansion, one vowing to destroy the IL's family which insulted her mother and the other sister telling her that keeping the family together, not breaking it up (the sanskari bahu) will be in the interests of their mother's honour. Why do they even pretend?

• The heroines always go to bed dressed up in silks and heavy jewellery and wake up with not a hair out of place. Coming to dress sense, the vamp always wears some weird avatar of the saree if not flimsy dresses.

Any more to add to the list?

sindmani, Chocolatey, Rihana and 10 others like this.

2. joylokhi

joylokhi Platinum IL'ite

Hi satchi,
    ha ha ha... what a comic but very apt write up of our tele soaps! Not to put down anyone's interest in watching them if it interests but i find it just impossible to tolerate their concept of everything being black or white- no greys .

sindmani and satchitananda like this.
  3. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

Hey Joy, so nice to see your response. I have to honestly admit, I do watch 2 hours of this abomination - it is good to set one's head aside for a couple of hours and watch what people come up with in the name of creativity!

sindmani and joylokhi like this.
  4. Viswamitra

Viswamitra IL Hall of Fame

Dear Satchi,

Megha serial means 5 days X 52 weeks X 5 years = 1,300 episodes. If there are too many plots up front that makes women fall for it, that increases the TRP rating. There is more money coming into the serial through more advertisements which reduces each episode time to 10 out of 30 minutes. It means 13,000 minutes of serial watching which is equivalent of 217 hours spent for each serial.

There are men and women in the serials who are great professionals and entrepreneurs according to the co-artists but barely we see them go to work and take some intelligent actions. Mostly, they spent time solving family problems. Practical aspect is never considered in the serials. Heroine waking up fresh with not a hair yet to be combed, the villain continuing his/her effort unabated for several episodes finding the next moves of the hero/heroine in a second, etc. are motivation for real life people. :)

When Steven Spielberg or writer Sujata writes story line, they spend considerable hours understanding the subject. It is clear when we watch serials that neither the director nor the actors understand the subject that they are talking about. For example, a doctor would pronounce the name of the disease wrong or suggest prayer is the only option to save the heroine's father. People talk about software industry in the serials without knowing a single thing about that industry. The entrepreneur postpones board meetings in a second to address an important family issue.

The tolerance level is very high for the TV watchers and as long as they watch and discuss them, this industry will thrive like film industry. The changes come in cycles and let us wait for the next.

Viswa

5. Balajee

Balajee IL Hall of Fame

Satchi, I suspect that before they actually get down to the plot and teleplay these serial guys take stock shots of everyone slapping the other and then write the script around it. Whenever I switch on the entertainment channels someone is getting slapped. Also the Hindi soaps a seem to be ads for sari shops and jewelers. Characters in them have never heard of nightgowns. The ladies even go to bed in designer saris wearing their entire jewelry collection.

sindmani, jssd, KashmirFlower and 4 others like this.
  6. maggi32

maggi32 IL Hall of Fame

Hi Satchi, {thanks to GG editing tht "Mam & Ananda"while addressing u ;)}

--- all thy do is : plan b'day party for thier kid ...shoppin.... dressin up for b'day party.... dance for B'wood songs.... kid grows up again engagement party DRESS UP make up....again sangeeth dress up make up...again weddin dress up MAKE UP .... later only we'l realise dis soap has been runnin for 5+ years with only dress up make up dance ....finally we tend to WAKE UP & move on to next most promising show :nono::nono::nono:

---all dese lady villains must hv done thier PhD in Vampirology for donnin all tht scary looks & thier metallic accessories are so sharp that a mere touch will break our TV screen!!! :shakehead::shakehead::shakehead::shakehead:

---i envy thier dinning table....so many items to hog...there too thy dont empty that yummy food....chumma keep on talking non stop / or bring up a fight / or some one gets angry & the focus is taken away from food :BangHead:

--- i pity those small kids who act in one such NEVER ENDING ELASTIC DRAMAS

--- only respite is the advertisement shown every 4 mins....even tht's crap at times but but more manageable :wink1:

--- u r almost on the edge of the sofa to find who is tht unkown caller....bam bam comes " To be continued".....its friday nd u r very sure thy'l reveal tht unkown villain....again bam "To be....." :smash2:.....u some how wash clothes & clean home & wait with full enthu for Mondays slot.....hmm hmm they are not gonna tell u so soon....this cycle goes for 1-2 months....& thy l kill tht unknown villain & restart the screen play with fresh plots!!

--- finally the twist has come...villain caught red - handed & sent to jail....yay yay .....no no wait wait....hey, why why....coz its just a dream ur heroine had dreamt last night :oops:

---loads to add but controlling my thoughts and preventing my post from becoming another never ending mega serial!!!

PS: all i do while watching serials is comment.....when ever i join my mom/ friends / cousins to watch serial the first thing thy do is tie my mouth with a nearby towel or dupatta :eek::mask:;)

7. Scorpio707

Scorpio707 Platinum IL'ite

Hi Satchi,

Nice to see a familiar name in the snippet section :D though must say my frequency has reduced on IL too.

The last pointer had me in splits :lol: talk about the hair not being ruffled even a tad bit, silly soaps...blown out of proportion, never ending. I remember being hooked to those episodes during my college days,outgrew them later on.

To add my bit, let me see what I remember from the past :thinking:, Oh this one - rebirth, marrying your spouse over and over again :shakehead:

satchitananda likes this.
  8. jillcastle

jillcastle Gold IL'ite

Recently the video of a serial episode in my language went viral in FB. The actress gets shot in the head and she spends the next 30 minutes crying, sharing old memories with her husband, seeing old pictures in her phone, there is also a scene where her husband gets her jasmine flowers and finally after a looooong wait, the doctor declares her dead. I almost wanted to shoot my brains out.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2016
    sindmani, jssd, coolgal123 and 5 others like this.
  9. Akanksha1982

Akanksha1982 IL Hall of Fame

Hey, Satchi, nice snippet. Serials show amazing stuff. I had written a snippet about the serials earlier.

Mini-World

10. Amica

Amica IL Hall of Fame