1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Slice of life- A cop’s double role

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by PushpavalliSrinivasan, Nov 23, 2010.

1. PushpavalliSrinivasan

PushpavalliSrinivasan IL Hall of Fame

Slice of life- A cop’s double role

Recently we have painted our house. Painting was done both ground-floor and first floor both interior and exterior within five days. The mastri was a very resourceful person. He knew his job well and quoted a reasonable amount compared to others. The deal was struck on Saturday around 10 o’clock and he wanted to start the work immediately. Though we told him we did not bring the cash to give him advance, he said, “Never mind. I have full trust in you. I can get the material from a shop and I have got men to start the work immediately. Only you should give the permission.”

We thought that it would be wise to start the work as early as possible and complete it before the arrival of monsoon. It was the second day of Navaratri and I was worried that the work would stretch till Saraswathi puja if we started later. He promised to finish the work within five days. So we told him to go ahead and made sure that the work would continue on Sunday also.

The first day he brought ten workers and they started cleaning different parts of the house and completed cleaning just in three hours. The same day they completed the first coating also.

On Sunday also the same ten workers came and continued their work religiously. One worker received a call on his cell phone and after speaking he requested another worker to give him his bike as he had to go urgently on work. He gave him the bike key and he went away. Then we asked the worker if he knew him very well to allow him to take the bike, and if something happens on the way what he could do.

He replied that he was a police constable and he got a call from his superior and so there was nothing to worry. Then we both were struck with wonder.

“What are you telling? If he is a police constable why should he come to do this menial job for a daily wage?”

He said, “On and off he comes to do this job. Whatever money he gets he gives to his widowed mother. His wife does not allow him to give money to his mother from his salary. Please do not ask him anything about this. He will feel very embarassed.”

He returned after some time and continued his work. We did not ask him anything that day. After two days he turned up again for work and he was working outside all alone.

We started talking to him casually and enquired him about his family. He said that he was married and got his first child. His father had expired and his mother was staying alone. Then we slowly opened the topic of his other job that we heard from his co-worker.

Then he exclaimed, “Oh my god! I told him not to tell anyone. I am very much ashamed.”

Then my hubby said, “There is nothing to be ashamed of. You are really a worthy son of a worthy mother. You are balancing your life in such a way that you have not deserted your mother outright because of your wife.”

He said, “Sir, my mother has done a lot for me and she even looked after my wife when she delivered the baby. But that wretched ungrateful wife of mine did not want to keep our mother with us. She does not want me to give her money from my salary. So on Sundays when there is not much work in the station I go for these odd jobs and sometimes take casual leave and work like this. I am giving the money to my mother.”

Then my hubby said, “Your mother is really blessed to have a son like you. Even some men who are earning in thousands do not care for their parents if their wives are opposed to send money to their in laws. May your brand of men flourish in large numbers!”

It is really heartening to see a person balancing his life between two poles.

2. ambika04

ambika04 Gold IL'ite

Hi Mam,
    Ya as you say"May your brand of men flourish in large numbers!” :thumbsup
    I have seen few men who balnce well but being a police & still thriving to support his mother is appreciable:cheers

3. prana

prana IL Hall of Fame

Mam,kudos to that guy...he is such a great person.....

And your hubby's words are really true....I really admire his attitude....:bowdown

4. Raba

Raba Gold IL'ite

Dear Pushpa mam,
    Hats off to that person for he works hard to balance his life between his mother and wife.:thumbsup

5. jayanaresh

jayanaresh Bronze IL'ite

Oh what a personality? I never come accross any such good mannered person recently.
    Really Hats off to the Police gentleman.. People thinks bad about Police, but police man also have wet heart and loving / respecting manners.

6. Kamalji

Kamalji IL Hall of Fame

Dear Pushpa,

What a man, hatss off to him.I mean working so that he can give some money to his widowed mother, wow, u rightly said, a worthy son of a worthy mother.

this brought tears to my eyes, what can i say, but thanks for bringing in this to ur notice.

If evern this man needs some money, for his mother, do let me know by private message.It will be a pleasure to do something for his mother.

REgards

kamal

7. radhikrish

radhikrish Silver IL'ite

Dear PS mam,

The image of cops especially Tamil nadu cops are one who are soaked in corruption. With such easy access to additional money, I really wonder, how come this constable couldnt find any additional income to suppliment his salary to give his mother and he had to do such hard jobs to earn for his mother. Good to hear that such people exist in the world, who not only care for their mother, but also take pains and earns in a legitimate way .

8. PushpavalliSrinivasan

Dear Ambika,
    <!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:punctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <w:DontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> The world is still not bereft of good people. That’s why the world is still rotating on its axis. We were really touched to hear the man's love for his mother.
    Thanks for dropping in posting your comments,
    Love,
    PS

9. PushpavalliSrinivasan

Dear prana,
    There is no doubt about it. He is a gem of a person.

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:punctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <w:DontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> Thanks for joining us in appreciating a good man who balances his life incredibly.
    Love,
    PS

10. PushpavalliSrinivasan

Dear raba,
    It shows his integrity and his love for his mother.His mother is a blessed one.
    Love,
    PS