1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Sleeping position of the baby

Discussion in 'Infants' started by Asr4, Feb 23, 2012.

1. Asr4

Asr4 New IL'ite

Hi All,

My 5 month baby sleeps always on her tummy or sideways. Even if I make her sleep on her back she turns sideways or completely sleeps on her tummy. Is it ok if she sleeps in that position?? kindly advice...

Last edited: Feb 23, 2012

2. arnavi

arnavi New IL'ite

It is ok to sleep sideways but sleeping on tummy is dangerous....as it might create breathing problems

3. ramyaramani

ramyaramani Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

My LO used to sleep on her tummy from her 5th month. Initially I was worried. My paed said it is ok as long as the babies themselves get into that position. She asked us not to put the baby in that position. But do check with your paed during the next visit.

4. IlovemyMom

IlovemyMom Gold IL'ite

My 5month old baby also wants to sleep on her tummy. As ramya has mentioned dr said we on our own should not put the babies on tummy while sleeping. But if the baby herself is sleeping like that I don't know if it's safe. Have to ask in the next visit. Meanwhile I used to check in the night often and if she is on her tummy I make her sleep sideways. She is refusing to sleep on her back.

I have a question. Can we breastfeed babies while they are sleeping. Will it cause cavities in future once they get their teeth?

5. Priyakeerthi

Priyakeerthi Senior IL'ite

hi
    my little angel always sleeps on tummy sticking her hands inside for comfort..Initially i was also worried thinking abt this habit, digestion, breathing pattern etc. Googled many ideas to put my child back on sleepg sideways. Finally had to check my pead doctor and when she started laughing, i realised that how nowadays mothers are panicking !

Doctor explained that babies have their own reflexes (god gift lift first sucking, drinking, chewing etc ) sleeping is the one similar where they find their comfort..some babies does on mothers arms sideways, some on chest and others are happy with pillows..Sleeping on tummy also will be for a shorter comfort and as they grow each habit keeps changing.. if us restrict or try to discpline the child will do revert with same act..hence relax and be happy that ur child is sleeping peacefully...

6. ramyaramani

ramyaramani Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

@ilovemymom I heard that mom's teeth/cavity pattern is an example of the kids pattern. Having said that it may not be exact. It is a constant debate between BFing in the night and cavities. Nobody is able to exactly point out to BF. some dentists agree and some disagree.

Once teeth erupts it is important to wash/wipe/brush twice a day. At the end of the day it is what we believe in.

7. IlovemyMom

IlovemyMom Gold IL'ite

Hi Ramya,
    When I googled the same thing I found. Some relate cavities to bf some don't. My main concern is since I am co-sleeping with my baby she demands often for milk and I too feed her in sleep in lying own position. Once she gets her teeth I'm worried that this might become a problem. Hope the night feeding would become less when I give her solids. Thanks for replying.

8. brahan

brahan Platinum IL'ite

I guess this should not be an issue..My DS used to sleep on his tummy right from his birth...Infact he sleeps in the posture of a Frog...I guess it is something related to genes...Coz i have the same sleeping posture and I "CANNOT" sleep without sleeping on my tummy(Had a tough time during preggy days)..So overall should not be a problem...check with your paed though..

9. tulasi2005

tulasi2005 New IL'ite

I breast fed my baby and ended up with cavities. Reason being breastfeeding during nights:)