Sleeping on only side during pregnancy

Discussion in 'Pregnancy & Labor' started by Catgol, Aug 28, 2012.

1. Catgol

Catgol Platinum IL'ite

Hello dear friends

Iam 36 weeks pregnant right from 20 weeks of pregnancy I practiced myself sleeping left side with the help of pillow and i do not turn sides now that m in last few weeks of pregnancy all are suggesting me that I should get up and turn sides but the Thing is that I never actually turn sides I jus lay on the left side if my hip pains by continuos sleeping I get up go to rest rOOm n come back again sleep on my left m so confused now m really worried whether sleeping on one side without turning is okay during last few weeks of pregnancy or should I turn sides m afraid to turn also because m not used to it and m afraid whether something would happen if I turn because m so used up sleeping in the left .. Pls advice me wat to do as m close to due date

2. Catgol

Catgol Platinum IL'ite

Pls reply dear friends

3. DGcreative

DGcreative Platinum IL'ite

The reason behind sleeping on left side during pregnancy from what I understood from my gynaec is....all your organs like lungs, liver. give way to your expanded uterus....thus to get proper blood circulation to your heart its best to sleep on left side. I dont know if I've put it in right words.....

To your query its fine if you are sleeping only on one side...atleast I dont know it harms if not benefits....so continue what is comfortable to you.....if you feel any discomfort then immed contact your gynaec.

Wish you a safe delivery & happy motherhood.

4. Catgol

Catgol Platinum IL'ite

Thanks for immediate reply and advice dear friend

5. Rakhii

Rakhii Moderator IL Hall of Fame

The PP reply was correct. However, if you are not comfortable now, you can sleep on right side too. I did so too and didn't have any problem with it.

6. stalin4d

stalin4d Senior IL'ite

Congrats catgol in your 36th week of pregnancy,
    for me too iam in my 36th week excited and little anxiety
    too...

well myself too i used to sleep on my right side always because i had severe pain in my left shoulder and bone so i used to sleep in the right side more, but i heared from my doctor and elders that you should sleep more on left side than right side, but simultaneously should change the position but you should not turn your body by laying in the bed, but by getting up and change to left side or right side even when you sleep and thats the good practise.

so dont worry at all for always being in left sided but try to can change positions if possible
    because your shoulder muscles can get relaxed too...

Hey i am curious catgol when in your delivery date, mine is 24th sep...

reply me...

7. aryashi

aryashi Gold IL'ite

hii stalin ..is the above statement true... is it compulsory to get up n turn... i am in my 37 wk of preg.. mostly i sleep on my left side,.. but incase i change i turn my body.. i dont getup...

8. Catgol

Catgol Platinum IL'ite

Hi Stalin
    Thanks for your advice dear my due date is also on sep 24 :)

9. Catgol

Catgol Platinum IL'ite

Hi aryashi yes what I heard from elders is you should get up and turn sides .. You always sleep in the left or you turn sides ?

10. aryashi

aryashi Gold IL'ite

dear catlog..
    i sleep mostly on ,y left..but if my shoulder pains i shift towards my right..