1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Sleeping Habits Of My Toddler

Discussion in 'Toddlers' started by sanjuruby3, Oct 9, 2017.

1. sanjuruby3

sanjuruby3 Platinum IL'ite

It is 11 o clock of Sunday night and we have to login to office computer to catch up work and i have to do some kitchen cleanup and other cleaning activities and my kid is not sleeping yet and in bed and needs me/someone along. So frustating. Dad is down enjoying TV and will not sleep her so I have to do that job and wait till she sleeps so I can resume my 1 -2 hrs of cleaning session and then logon to do some office work.

I hate my life. I try to involve her so much in painting/drawing even phyical jumping but she drinks red bull or what. She does not like much physical activity means jumping or bike. I know weekends are always hard specially sunday evenings but for her it is weekdays too. She goes to school full time and I do not know what she eats there, how much she sleeps that she comes home like a rolling bomb, so active and noisy and sleeps til l10- 10:30. We send her to bed by 9 and one person lying with her wasting time and waiting for her to go down so can get up and do other things. Till 10 -10:30 she keeps singing or if we get up to bathroom or next room to do some work, he attention if that person has not left her and will keep calling to check every couple mins which delays he sleep even more. So we get to sleep even more late and hence waking up late.
    I tried sleep music, Nothing works on her.
    If we drive in the car near sleep time, she will sleep so soon without effort But we can not everyday start driving so she sleeps.
    What to do? How to manage her energy? I wish I had half of it.

2. Rakhii

Rakhii Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Sanju, how have you been (apart from this post i mean). Its been so long since we communicated and I dearly missed this space.
    Now, remind me, how old is she again? Its clear that those naps need to stop asap. She has outgrown them.
    And how do you not know what she eats? Is she being fed at school and they dont tell you what they feed her? If yes, its time you ask them what they are feeding her or send your own lunch.

No sugar after 3 PM. By this, I also mean avoid fruits. No naps either.
    Wake her up by 7 AM; doesn't matter what time she goes to sleep at night. Just consistantly wake her up by then and get the day started. Tell them at school that you would prefer no naps. If its a rule that she naps, then perhaps there is a quite area where she can do some activity? She is going to be cranky a few days while her body adjusts to this but its time to ditch the nap.
    By 5:30 start dinner. Finish by 6; let her play for sometime. at 6:30, take her to the bathroom and give her a nice warm bath. massage her with the moisturiser (i make my own moisturiser laden with pure lavender that seems to calm my kids down), a book of her choice and in bed by 7:30. try this....

3. Sandhya13

Sandhya13 Gold IL'ite

Dear @sanjuruby3 - please know that you are not alone. My boy just turned 3 and he doesn't want to go to bed. At this age, I think almost all toddlers are like this. They want to play all the time and never want to eat/sleep/do anything else. I think since you are a bit stressed with the other things in your life, you feel very overwhelmed with DD.

Everyday our LO sleeps between 10:30 to 11 PM. And there must be someone with him till he sleeps. He does not sleep in a separate bed but with us. Most days DH puts him to bed, says stories/bed time plays etc for some 10-15 mins or so and then stays next to him browsing his ipad until he sleeps. There is no way LO would go to bed before 10 PM and we know why. He takes a day time nap of 1 to 3 hours and we should stop this if we want him to go to bed early. We will work on this soon.

Is it possible for your DH to go and at least lay down next to her and tell stories/play with her for some 10 mins and then he can either browse his phone or ipad till she sleeps? This way DD wont get disturbed much and you can continue with your chores. If he doesn't want to do this, then no problem. He needs to go and finish up cleaning and start cutting veggies for next day. Give him this choice and tell him to pick one. You can only do so much. BTW, this is only if nothing else works to put her to bed early.

4. sanjuruby3

sanjuruby3 Platinum IL'ite

She goes to school everyday so I can not cut down her nap time. I thought she should come home tired but not. She comes home like a rolling snow ball. I asked teachers for reducing nap hours. They said we are not allowed to wake her up after 30 mins and let others sleep. However, I remember, one of my mom /friend who kid is is same school asked same for her teachers and they agreed. :-(
    On weekends, she naps very late and I have to force her else by evening she is going to get so cranky and crash. So she naps by 3 pm and by then we all get tired so we do not wake her up so we could regain some energy do some activities, catch a movie.

It seems when kid is up, our energy loss rate is double. Do our day to day work and enange kid at the same time + also try to stop her ,from this/that + forcing to eat/pee/poo on time + clean up the mess that she creates whereever she goes water spills etc.
    huhhhh.