1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Slap Snaps

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Veni77, Sep 16, 2011.

1. Veni77

Veni77 Gold IL'ite

I had a strong aversion towards giving pose for the photos. I think this has started when I was very young itself, may be during school days. I used to dance very well in schools…mmm… I know you have a suspicious look on your face. But, I am sure there is nobody in IL currently can prove against that statement with evidence. So, you must accept that it is the truthJ. I have a big collection of photos taken during my school days. Few of them are just peculiar. One among them was taken during my on-stage performance in 3rd Standard. Actually, what you can see in that photo is more like a museum piece or a creature in zoo…what else you can call somebody with full of rose powder on the face, dark lipstick, dark grey colored frock, with wide-opened mouth, of course flashing teeth too (எப்புடி??? பாடிக்கிட்டே ஆடுவோமில்ல …). Actually, I was dancing for a very famous song from Salangai oli. Whenever my brother sees that he used to appreciate that the photographer is a brave guy!!!... (ஹும்ம்ம், அவனுக்கு பொறாமை..stageஏற முடியலைன்னு..!!)

And there was another incident when I was in 9th standard, my teacher wanted to experiment her make-up and scary skills and she put 5 of us into an Adhivasi dance. In those days, I used to like the dance programs only for that rose powder and lipstick. To my dismay, in that year’s dance, no lipstick or rose-powder but only coal powder on the face, with full black dress, hair tied up in more than 20 small-small plates so that we look typical. The crest of the event was when the five of us just went on to the stage, there were some small kids sitting in the front rows, shouted in fear loud…wow!!..What an innovative way to measure our success!!…And coming to the photo, this photographer also, took my photo when I kept my mouth wide-opened. Actually there was only instrumental music for that dance. I don’t know why I kept my mouth opened for that dance!! For a very long time, my brother fought with my mom to keep that in front of our house for Dhristri parihaaram…

No… it doesn’t stop there. Whether you like it or not, you need to pose for photos for some of the rituals and mandates. One among that was for public exams in 10th standard. After seeing my hall ticket with photo, my brother always says, even if you get state 1st rank and they put your photo in maalimalar, people will think that that news is about some “காணாமல் போனவர் பற்றிய அறிவிப்பு” (missing person). But, the twist came during my 12th Standard hall ticket photos. It came out so well…You won’t believe…my close friend told that, “Hey photo is really nice dee.., actual aa பார்த்தா உன்னைமாதிரியே இல்லை” (கிராமத்து குசும்பு). But, I didn’t want to bother about her comments. But, understood the fact that, once in a blue moon one photo has come out well in my life time. So, I snatched that chance very well. After that, for every needs including during college joining, all the entrance exams, application for any new jobs and ID card for my new job etc., I used only that photo. I was the only person to submit a black and white photo for ID card in my company at that timeL. After looking at my photo, my HR double checked with me whether I can get a recent one? I told her strongly that that was a recent photo (just 5 years, naa?).
    In job, during those initial days, there was one guy in our batch. He makes fun about anything or anyone. My misfortune that I left my ID card in canteen itself, one day. He took it and pasted it on the notice board asking about, “No idea who is this person?” Can you identify?”..I was like fuming inside…And once again, he asked me, “என்னதான் உங்க தங்கச்சிஐ உங்களுக்கு ரொம்ப பிடிச்சாலும் நீங்க அவங்க photo-வை எல்லாம் உங்க ID card-இல போடக் கூடாது”...and other one says that, “இவங்க வீட்டில ஒரு நம்பிக்கைphoto எடுத்தாஆயுசு குறைஞ்சிருமாம்.. அதுனால இவங்க photo-வுக்கு வரமட்டாங்க.. பாருங்க 10 வருஷம் முன்னால எடுத்த photo-வை ID card-க்கும் வைச்சிருக்கறாங்க” (சே!..என்ன கொடுமைசார்இது..?, எப்போதான் camera-க்கும் எனக்கும்இந்த ஜென்மபகை தீரும்?):bowdown

And the highlight of my photo fear was during my engagement. One of our neighbors had just then completed her beautician course. She wanted to experiment whatever she learnt in the course on me. I told her clearly that I would not do any facials etc. So, she told me that she will only apply some creams etc. Of course, she tried out ALL of the available packs, base creams and powders on my face. Like the small kids cry during my Adivasi dance, this time, it was my husband’s turn. Poor soul!! He just kept wondering (or worried?!) about his future…And since he doesn’t have sisters, his cousin sister was doing all the SIL formalities. She looked at me and told that make up is good… since, it is summer, you can tone it down for your wedding. I thought it was a compliment (நினைப்புத்தேன்!!) :bonk…but, I realized about her statement only after seeing the printed photos as digital cameras were not so common those days.

After wedding, my mom showed all my wonderful photo collections to my husband just to showcase about her DD’s talents during school days. (காக்கைக்கும் தன் குஞ்சு பொன்குஞ்சு இல்லையா?) After carefully looking at those photos, he said, “Oh! No wonder why you put up make up like that in our engagement…But, from now on, please don’t try out anything like make-up or cream. I just like the way you are J” (பாவம்..வேற என்ன சொல்ல முடியும் அந்தphoto collection-பார்த்த பிறகு???) :thumbsup

2. sreemanavaneeth

sreemanavaneeth Gold IL'ite

Hai Veni,

I could not control my laugh ya. you have slapped me very well by your humorous writeup dear. When i was going through the tamil lines i felt i was sitting in front you and listening. You are a naughty and witty person dear. ( Now my colleague is asking me madam what happened ? Romba sirikireenga??)

3. Malar2301

Malar2301 Gold IL'ite

Dear Veni,

Chance illa...I had good laugh...I can visualize everything...nice refreshment after lunch...And mostly i liked your narriation...

4. sarajara

sarajara Gold IL'ite

Super Like Veni!

Was rolling over with laughter right from the first line through the last line! :)
    Ha ha ha... beautiful way of narration!

I loved the noticeboard incident very much! :)

Romba Azhaga ezhudhreenga Veni! :) You would not let any one without laughing aloud atleast once!!:)

reading your posts in office hours would find me laughing alone in the cube! :-S actually konjam bayama iruku - enake theriyama saththama sirichu maatikuvenonu :) - I have become your fan veni! :) Though i come here once in a while i love every post of yours! :)

Thanks for bringing that smile on to the face of everyone who reads your posts. :)

5. manjukps

manjukps IL Hall of Fame

Hi veni
    That's fantastic. Had a nice laugh.

You Took me to to the time of school day's photos. All my photos will be with wide eyes (already I have big eyes). Reason behind it I didn't want to blink when the camera flashes.

Regards
    Manjukps

6. SARASVADIVU

SARASVADIVU Silver IL'ite

Dear Veni,

You really have a way with humour yaar!
    Just superb..thanks a lot for giving us such a sweet break with your funny posts.
    Do keep more flowing off your desk!!
    Cheers,
    Saras

7. saipriya

saipriya Senior IL'ite

Hi Veni

Had a good laugh

Saipriya

8. shashiv

shashiv Gold IL'ite

Dear Veni...

That was hilarious... Had a good laugh.. thanks da..

Shanti

9. Veni77

Veni77 Gold IL'ite

Thanks Sree Dear!!! for your first feedback...Felt very happy to read your comment...

10. Veni77

Veni77 Gold IL'ite

Thanks Malar...for reading and posting your comments...I am glad to know that you liked it..