Skiping Kindergarten For Almost 5 Yesr Girl Plz Suggest

Discussion in 'Education & Personal Growth' started by babymiracle, Aug 20, 2018.

1. babymiracle

babymiracle Senior IL'ite

hi ladies

My daughter is december born and we live in texas so according to tht state school year starts at August. So by tht way my daughter will be almost 5 year and tht in prek class only. So whole year wasted.

I want to skip her kindergarten but I don’t know how to prepare her and wht are the things i should focus on?

And is kumon good learning approach??

Plz ans girls

Thank you

2. kkrish

kkrish IL Hall of Fame

@babymiracle
    Relax.
    There is no need to enroll your 5 year old in any special class.
    Enroll her in any of the "pre-schools" run by private organizations or churches.

From your post I gather that your child will be 5 years 9 months entering kindergarten in August 2019.
    Please do not look at this as a wasted year. The child is going to study for the next 20+ years, if she goes for PhD. So one year is not important. In fact, it will be beneficial for her.

My children were 5 years and 7-8 months when they were allowed to enroll in kg. They are doing good now.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2018
    anika987, SunPa, jskls and 2 others like this.
  3. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

@babymiracle

I am not sure if the school will allow you to simply skip Kindergarten as a choice by parents. But, many schools in most states have kindergarten readiness tests.

Does your daughter turn 5 this December? if so, you can approach your school or school district and ask if she can take the test. Since she is December born, she should be eligible for this test.

Also many parents enrol their children in private schools for the same reason and move them back to public school, usually in second grade. Another alternative for you to think about.

As for Kumon, for a 5 year old I hear good reviews about their reading program and not so good reviews about Math.

That said, I concur with @kkrish 's opinion that in the longer run, 'this' actually will not matter.

Best wishes.

4. Gauri03

Gauri03 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

I think @kkrish 's post is perfectly on point. My daughter is in the same situation as yours. She will turn 5 later this year. Most of her preschool classmates are in kindergarten while she is in transitional kindergarten (TK) which is the public school version of preschool. She will enter kindergarten at the same age as your daughter. I don't plan on having her move up a grade. I think in the long run this will actually prove beneficial for our children.

Have you heard of the term 'academic redshirting'? - Kindergarten Redshirting: How Kids Feel About it Later in Life
    This is when parents intentionally hold their kids back from kindergarten for a year. The thinking is that this will allow the children to grow physically, cognitively and emotionally, and enjoy greater success academically when they enter kindergarten. There is some statistical evidence to back up this line of thinking. Even if the benefits are overstated there are no significant drawbacks to letting a child have an additional year to develop stronger skills for school. Personally I wouldn't have intentionally held my daughter back if she were eligible for kindergarten, but the decision has been made for me and I am satisfied with it.

As of now, I have her work through kindergarten workbooks I bought at Costco, and we read a lot. She is also enrolled in a dance and a swimming class. My son attends the Russian School of Math and I really like their programs. I prefer RSM to Kumon because they focus on conceptual rather than repetitive learning. I plan on enrolling my daughter in the kinder level at RSM starting next year.

anika987, Shanvy, babymiracle and 2 others like this.
  5. DDream

DDream Finest Post Winner

Op,

Don't worry much. She can continue with pre-school. In US, many people think its is better to wait than rushing to join school. Nothing is going to happen if they loose one academic year as per Indian standards. Even India, they raised the age bar to 6 years for grade 1. ( In my case it was 5 yrs , I was the youngest in the class). Here people think it better to be among the oldest in the class as they handle situations better. This is the advice we got from many parents out here. If the kids are smart they can climb academic ladder faster here and they may benefit at least in high school and University level.

We have faced the same situation with my son. He has an age gap of only two months between cutoff date and his DOB. So he was almost 6 years when he joined K. Till then he continued with pre-K. The only issue was by the end of the academic year, he has over grown and refused to sleep in daycare (they have afternoon nap time of 1 hours). So we enrolled him for a summer program during simmer break. That's how we managed. But we are happy with that decision. He is doing really well and taking higher level classes in Math. Many of his classmates are older than him.

If you are concerned, please inquire about early enrollment program. They may conduct a test for the kid. But I think the gap between cutoff date and date of birth should be less than 1-2 month. Another way is to do the same with private school and join K. But you have to make sure she can join grade 1 next year or grade 2 after two years in a public school. If she is staying home now, it is better to enroll her to a pre-school to prepare her for grade K next year.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2018
    anika987 and kkrish like this.
  6. Penelope

Penelope Bronze IL'ite

I think I would feel the same as you and would want to consider getting her into first grade a year sooner. Does her school allow this?
    I would make sure she is enrolled in the Pre-K program and discuss this option with her teacher.

It really depends on your child and finding out if moving her forward will be the best option for her.

* if she is ahead of her classmates intellectually.
    *Also, how is her behavior and maturity level

-If she is smarter and maturing faster she may become bored, but she also may enjoy being in that position and feel confident empowered.

Otherwise if she struggles after being placed a grade ahead it might challenge her to do better or work harder, but it could also discourage her or make her feel in adequate if she is not ready. Maturity level is a big part. There are ones who are young for their age and those who seem older than they are. Only you can make that decision based on what you know about your child, but ask the teacher as well, because your daughter may be different at school and her teacher may have some helpful input
    If you do decide to move her forward just make sure you have plenty of time to help keep her on track.

Also, you can search online for the standards in your state to find out what's covered in kindergarten. There are also prep books available for each grade that can help you.

Goodluck

anika987 likes this.
  7. Pinky1984

Pinky1984 New IL'ite

Hi where do u stay in texas

8. babymiracle

Austin Texas

9. babymiracle

Thank you kris, its help a lot the way thinking make my thinking broder

kkrish likes this.
  10. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

As a mom of kids who were old for the regular kg in indian schools, it does not matter in the long run..it is the indian parents around who make you feel as if it is a wasted year. Just tell yourself, my child, my choice and it is enough and it is ok if she is happy and healthy child..this is a mantra that will come handy when you feel what ever your child accomplishes, it is still not enough..

My daughter is a professional with more qualifications than her peers..while my son is in his uni focussed on phd..

There is more to education, than school.. so yes even before kindergarden reshirting concepts came about i have done it, breaking thr norm of having your child in lkg at 2.5yrs or 3 when my dd started schooling 20 yrs back..i had her in lkg at 4+.. have fought with thr management that refused to take kids 4+ in lkg..

The moment thr parent relaxes and works with the child lot of things are accomplished.

anika987 likes this.