1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

SITA's AGNIPARIKSHA - ANANYA TALE'S

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by ananyakiran, Mar 26, 2014.

1. ananyakiran

ananyakiran Gold IL'ite

sita-agni-pariksha-the-ramayana.jpg

Few days ago, I saw a competition,"TWIST A TALE" which caught my attention. It was about writing an article on your BLOG about a fairy tale or any famous short story but can twist it the way you like. So for the next 3 days I read about Ramayan, and here is my twist in the story:

P.S: I don't intend to hurt anyone's religious beliefs, its just my opinion purely fictional.

Rama said "Oh Sita, you represent purity at its highest, but you have lived under the shelter of Ravan. As a king, I am answerable to my people, and therefore, I would like you to prove your purity in front of all (publicly) so that in future people on this earth would not cast doubt, dare not put any blame of infidelity on your noble character."

"Oh my lord, we BOTH were separated for an year but I alone will prove purity of my character by passing through the raging fire flames" saying so Sita entered the sky high raging flames.

She remained in fire unscathed and unharmed, her face shining with divine luster, the raging flames reduced themselves to ashes and turned into lotus flowers.

Now Sita asked "Oh my lord, there will always be some one who cannot be satisfied by any 'test' or any proof, for they do not want to get convinced and will raise doubts about the Truth itself. Then should I continue to pass the test every day or will you make your own judgment and act accordingly."

Rama said "I am a righteous king, as the caretaker of all, not only in matters of food and shelter, but also regarding their emotions and conventions, I am always accountable and need to set an right example for generations to follow, so if the question arises again unfortunately I might ask you for another agnipariksha".

Sita already knew Rama would say so, she thought after living a righteous life she had no strength to face this humiliation again from the one whom she unconditionally loved and worshipped.

Sita with great grief prayed to Mother Earth to make room for her so that she could find peaceful rest for sometime in her life, the Earth separated into two and Sita buried herself under the protective cover of her Mother.

sindmani, Angellic, deepv and 5 others like this.

2. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

Loved that Ananya. It is unfair that Ram did not need to prove anything to anyone. Does not the same tradition carry on, with the only difference that the Sitas of this era cannot find respite in the lap of their mothers, unlike the original Sita.

3. Kamalji

Kamalji IL Hall of Fame

Well in sitas pkace I would hv told ram to orove tgat ge too is pure for sita has every right too

2 people like this.
  4. priya4raj

priya4raj Silver IL'ite

Ananya, forgive me if i am wrong.. i differ a bit from your views.. Ram, he himself didn't doubt sita, and if in that case, the bonds of marital relationship, starts to wither. He wanted to prove to the public, in a way that they would understand, and not for him. And i consider that as an initiative to hinder the ill tongued people's stories, and that his love had to be free from hassles rising out of that. And saying so, I also want to ensure that, if sita wants rama, to take up a 'pariksha', he too has to undergo that..

2 people like this.
  5. navs23

navs23 Platinum IL'ite

Nice twist Ananya!

Lord Rama, was not a commoner, who could just say 'let those who distrust my wife be damned' and move on. He was the king, and not just any king, he was the best there was and the most righteous. His request for Agni Pariksha was not to prove anything to anyone, but to show that he was a fair ruler and his own family was not exempt from the laws of the kingdom. Had Rama, not asked for the Agni Pariksha, Sita(and Rama)might have become the excuse for perishing morals in the kingdom.

Lord Rama, was also not just a husband to Sita. He was the 'Uttama Purushan'. So, while Sita underwent a physical Agni pariksha, once. Rama, was distressed till the end, thinking about Sita, and went through mental Agni Pariksha, every day. There is no right or wrong here or who suffered more. As much as he punished Sita, he inflicted a worser punishment on himself too.

Would a man who suspected his wife and wanted her to prove herself, really ask her to get into the fire before the entire world? Wouldn't he be worried that the fire might burn her before everyone's eyes(and hence prove the dirty talks). His trust on Sita was unflinching, so intense that he believed that no fire would even touch her, such was her purity and such was his trust.

3 people like this.
  6. ananyakiran

ananyakiran Gold IL'ite

Thank you all for posting your valuable insights :)