1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Sita Kalyanam

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by sundarusha, Oct 8, 2008.

1. sundarusha

sundarusha Gold IL'ite

May all those who read this be showered with prosperity, the unmarried be blessed with a happy married life, and those separated from their spouse due to misunderstandings be re-united by the grace of Almighty.

Soon after Sita was found, King Seeradhwaja Janaka was blessed with another daughter by the name of Urmila.Sita and Urmila often played games such as Ammanai ( Juggling) with their paternal cousins Mandavi and Sruthakeerthi. One day while they played, the ball slipped from Sita's hands and rolled along the passageway into Janaka's pooja room. Sita saw a huge wooden decorated box on the floor and the ball wedged between the box and the wall. The royal maids came rushing to the scene to find out what was bothering Sita. On finding the reason, they tried to explain to Sita that the box held the Siva Dhanush and required atleast 5000 strong men to move the box. They quickly brought another ball for her to play. Sita's mind was set only on her lucky ball with which she always won. With one effortless movement with her left hand, she moved the box out of its way. The maids, totally stunned ran to tell King Janaka. On learning this, King Janaka went into deep thought whether he would be able to find a groom who would be equal in match to Sita. All the kings were summoned for sita' swayamvara. An announcement was made that the groom would to be selected based on his ability to lift the Siva Dhanush.

On the day of the Swayamara, the great bow was brought forth upon an eight-wheeled cart drawn by five thousand tall men. Viswamithra arrived in Mithila bringing Rama and Lakshmana with him. Ravana, came to know about the swayamvara and swiftly arrived in his pushpaka vimanam, burning with anger due to not being invited.
    Ravana was the first one to try to lift it with his twenty hands. On seeing him fail, all the other kings and princes who were present slowly withdrew from the competition.

Poet Kamban describes the feelings of love that developed spontaneously between Rama and Sita. When their eyes met, says Kamban, there was fusion between their feelings. As if to re-emphasize the point, he adds that because their minds were fused with each other, there was mutual exchange of their hearts.

Rama lifted the bow efforlessly and strove to bend it. It broke in two. Sita's marriage was fixed with Rama, who had the blue color of the sky, just like Her father Padmakshan had promised. Rama is very fond of being called as Dasaratatmajan, Dasarathi, Kausalya Supraja, Chakravarthi Thirumagan rather than divine names as Lakshminarayanan. Saint Tyagaraja says that we are fond of calling him as Sitapathi.

Along with their marriage, the marriages of Urmila, Mandavi and Sruthakkerthi were fixed with Lakshmana, Bharatha and Shatrugna.

King Dasaratha performed the vrathas for his sons. He had invited all the people from Ayodhya to Mithila for the marriage. The same day, Kekaya prince and Bharatha's uncle Yudhajith arrived in Mithila. Next morning, Dasaratha having finished his morning duties , reached the marriage hall , next to the yagasala, surrounded by his relatives, ministers, maharishis and others.

His four sons, dressed in shiny clothes and donned with ornaments, finished the vedic rituals prior to marriage. They sat next to their father preceded by Vasishta and other
    maharishis, sadhus and bhaktas.

Vasishta approaced Janaka and said to him," Rajasreshta! The emperor of Ayodhya is awaiting you to do the Kanya daanam after finishing all the rituals preceding the marriage. Please keep your word by carrying out this wonderful wedding".

Seeradhwaj Janaka was said to be a spiritually advanced Rajarishi , though he was a king administrating the kingdom of Mithila. He was also instructed by sage Ashtavakra upon the nature of the self or Atman; this exposition forms the content of the famous treatise Ashtavakra Gita. Janaka was not only a brave king, but was also as well-versed in the shastras and Vedas as any rishi. He was the beloved pupil of Yaajnavalkya, whose exposition of Brahman to the king forms one chapter of the Brihadaranyaka Upanishad. In the Bhagavad Gita, Sri Krishna cites Janaka as an illustrious example of the Karma yoga.

After hearing this he said, " Where is the gatekeeper who is stopping you in front of my palace? You should not be asking any one's permission to visit my palace. What is the block for going around freely in your own home? Feel free in Mithila just as you feel in Ayodhya. I have completed all the auspcious activities for my daughters. They are dressed in brilliant ornaments and new clothes. Their beauty is as radiant as the flames of the fire. I am ready and have been waiting for you. Why are you staying outside the palace? Please conduct the marriage without any delay".

Dasaratha entered the marriage hall surrounded and followed by his sons, friends, relatives, priest, maharishis, sadhus and bhaktas. Janaka greeted whole-heartedly and offered them seats. He turned to Vasishta and said, " maharishe! I request you and the the honorable rishis to conduct the grand marriage of Rama who is the bestower of blissfulness to all the worlds. He is the Sukha Subha Datha for all the tree worlds. Vasishta said " so be it". With the guidance of Viswamithra and Sadanandhar and other maharishis, he set the agni at the centre of the marriage hall. He placed silver containers that held sandal powder, flowers, golden Paligai cups, conches, dhoop, akshadai, puffed rice, and cups filled with sacred water. He spread dharpai and did the prathistapanam of the fire with the mantras. He performed the homam for the well being of the couple.

Janaka maharaja gently guided Sita in front of Rama. Sita was dressed in a red color sari and adorned with precious jewels.

He addressed Rama and said," Sita is named so because she was found on the Earth. I have brought her up as my daughter with great love. I have taught her all the dharmas. She will follow the dharma that you wish to observe. Please accept her as you wife. May You be blessed with all the prosperity. Please take her hand. She will be a great pathivrata, your shadow , never to leave you". Thus saying he let holy water in his hand. Devas and Maharishis blessed the couple. Flowers rained from the sky. Divine instruments were heard playing auspicious music.

Then Janaka conducted the marriage of Lakshmana with Urmila, Bharatha with Mandavi and Shatrugna with Sruthakeerthi.

The four princes wed the princesses with the blessings of Vasishta. Then they circumambulated the fire, seeking the blessings of all elders. They performed agniprathishtai and homam.

At that time, the devas rained flowers, played dhundhubi and bheri instruments. Gandharvas and apsaras sang melodiously and danced merrily. These joyous activities occured during the marriage of the princes.

The princes went around the agni three times and retired to their palaces with the princesses. Dasaratha joyously followed them with his relatives, friends and maharishis.

2. Gowri66

Gowri66 Gold IL'ite

Dear Usha,

It was nice... enjoyed reading it !!

3. samayal

samayal Silver IL'ite

Dear Usha mami,

Nice to read Sita kalyanam. I wanted to know why Urmila did not go with Lakshmana for the vanavasam? I knew a story but forgot about it.

BTW, my son enjoyed Sita story yesterday. Whenever I say a new story about Sri Rama he is very much excited.

Once again thanks for sharing a well narrated story for tonight.

4. sundarusha

sundarusha Gold IL'ite

Dear Gowri

Thanks for writing. For a while, I was discouraged at not seeing any comments whatsoever. Glad you enjoyed reading it.

5. sundarusha

sundarusha Gold IL'ite

Dear Vidu,

You are most welcome. I am so happy your kid got a treat yesterday. As far as I know, Urmila was supposed to have laid down upon Lakshmana leaving for the vanavasam and did not get up till he returned. I have not read anywhere the reason why she did not go. If you remember the story, please do share.

6. Sindhuja

Sindhuja Silver IL'ite

Dear Usha,
    Enjoyed reading the story of Sita-Rama Kalyanam. The picture of the kalyanam is so nice. Thank you! Keep writing!

7. sundarusha

sundarusha Gold IL'ite

Thank you for the lovely FB, Sindhuja. I have never written anything on religious lines. Your encouraging words will help me keep going!

8. Mindian

Mindian IL Hall of Fame

dear Usha,
    Enjoyed the story and your excellent narration...one of the most romantic weddings,no?
    love
    Mindi

9. sundarusha

sundarusha Gold IL'ite

Thanks Minidian. Certainly the most romantic wedding.

10. SupriyaDinesh

SupriyaDinesh Silver IL'ite

Lovely narration Usha..I could picturise the happenings live.