1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Sir, Telegram...!

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by knbg, Jun 15, 2013.

1. knbg

knbg Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Sorry dear Periamma, :hide:
    Some how missed replying your post.
    Thank you very much for the kind words and for the gentle reminder.....:bowdown
    Amirtha..might be our junior, I was in the Faculty of Technology, they would have been in the Engineering, so not sure dear Periamma.

2. knbg

Thank you very much dear PS ma'am for visiting here and for the beautiful feedback.:)
    Just loved it,:bowdown:bowdown:thumbsup

3. Kamla

Kamla IL Hall of Fame

Dear Bhargavi,

Nice one! "Congrats nomination FP Viswa A'lakshmi" :thumbsup

:rotflWas my effort at informing you the good news in telegraphic language.

Ah those telegrams! Thanks to my dad, the t'grams took a pleasant turn for me. After experiencing troubled news delivered through these brief posts, when I went to England as a young bride, the first telegram was sent by my dad. Shivering from head to foot, I opened just to read "How are you dear"!! He followed the first one with many more always with birthday greetings or festival greetings that the fear factor vanished! Once, I remember booking a call to India which kept delaying and as my parents were already informed about a 'pending' long distant call which never came through, they sent a quick telegram asking if all was well with us and I too sent a telegram back saying all is fine!! The call matured after two days!!!!
    I vaguely remember that once could even send a decorative telegram from England for greetings!! Isn't that amazing!

But, soon enough things changed drastically. We moved to Germany towards the end of seventies and telegrams were already obsolete there! Imagine, a telegram arrived like an ordinary post! So from then on, no telegrams for us!!

What I am really impressed and amazed is that you are so aware of telegrams and you have not even completed four decades of your life!!!! Surely, aren't you too young to know about telegrams? Do they send them in India to this day?

In her feedback to you, Parineetha has said beautifully as to what she thinks about your posts--Dear Bhargavi, Loved your post…The few snippets that I’ve read of yours, had always reminded me of watching a vintage classic movie. The feel good reminiscence of old days, the tinges of warm timeworn sentiments, the sketch of ever-lingering memoirs, above all, the excitement of having journeyed those times brings a beautiful charm to all your posts" She totally echoes my thoughts too about your posts.

They are classics!! :thumbsup

L, Kamla

2 people like this.
  4. knbg

Dear Kamla,
    :rotfl:cheers:thankyou2:
    That's a sweet memoir dear Kamla, enjoyed reading it, with a dash of my imagination, I could view those cute scenes vividly, Thanks for sharing and glad that my post brought those lovely memories.

It was more because of the reactions and emotions the telegrams brought when they were delivered - those raw emotions of pure joy , sorrow and surprise of my loved ones are etched in my memory and could recollect them well.
    Last telegram I got was in 2001, it was a call letter for interview in Delhi ( For a faculty position at a premier Govt institute- there was an addendum in the telegram - 'This telegram to be produced for refund of First class up and down train fare from your hometown to Newdelhi'):rotfl

Many thanks Kamla - Made my month :)

ie, Thank you very much dear Kamla, my month is made by your gracious visit and now I can start pondering on what to write next, which would be impressive and live up to these lovely words from Lioness Kamla.:)

1 person likes this.
  5. vjbunny

vjbunny IL Hall of Fame

dear buddy
    Nice to know about your telegram stories as for me I had only one telegram in my life that brought the news of my grandpa So telegram kind of reminds me of him...

1 person likes this.
  6. iyerviji

iyerviji Finest Post Winner

Wow Bhargavi dear what a lovely post making everyone go down memory lane especially those of my age. Earlier telegram means everyone used to think it is bad news only. Every post of yours is a gem and is worthy of nomination. Congrats for being nominated. You have a different style of narrating and reaching everyone's heart. Now instead of telegrams we receive the messages through sms. Sometimes thinking it must be some advertisement we ignore it and latercome to know it was an important message. One of my friend who used to travel with me in contract bus has now becomevery close and my virtual brother. Everyday he sends me sms with nice quotes. Recently his mother was in hospital . I could not go and see her because they are little far and usually we go half way and he comes and picks us up to his house. Then one evening he sent me sms saying his mother is no more. But dont know somehow I missed seeing the message. Luckily he called me and told me about it. I felt so bad. I was in my friend's house when he called and immediately came home and went with my husband to see him. If he had not called I might have not seen the message and by the time I sawthe message it might have been late and I would have regretted. He also knows that I always respond immediately to his important messages. So he phoned. I felt God saved me from regretting.

1 person likes this.
  7. rkgurbani

rkgurbani IL Hall of Fame

It was really sad to read about the stopping of telegram service. I immediately hunted for all the telegrams that came to us during our wedding and have carefully put them away as we will nt be seeing any more of these.

The ready wishes for all reasons sounded so perfect....
    Happy Borthday
    May God bless the newly-wedded couple
    May the departed soul rest in peace

Gone is al that with just mobiles and smart-phones making their entry in everyone's life and becoming something that cannot be lived without.

1 person likes this.
  8. knbg

Hi VJ,
    Nice to see you here buddy...Thank you.
    Yes, some things bring memories of our loved ones.

9. knbg

Dear Viji aunty,
    Thanks for the visit here, and for the nice feedback.:)
    It was nice that your friend called you and you could be there to console them at the time of sadness and loss.
    I am yet to get used to 'texting' and sometimes miss 'texts' by my nephew and niece .:spin:bonk

10. knbg

Hi RKG,
    That's sweet, hunting and saving 'Greetings telegrams' which would soon become antique...:thumbsup
    And mobile and net have become a part of life these days and we can't stand to miss them even for an hour..:spin:bonk
    Thanks for stepping in buddy....:)