1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Sippy Cup Success..Yay!!

Discussion in 'Infants' started by mridusudha, Jan 11, 2010.

1. sumanr

sumanr Silver IL'ite

Manjula - u r right. Most of the sippy cups and spouts are for 6+ months.
    I am waiting for Vidya/Pon/Poonam to tell me if they have used it earlier.

i used cup n spoon last month. now im using avent soft spout (the pack says it is for 6m+). lo is 4 monts & she did have difficulty in using it at first. But she is slowly getting used to it now.

2. PeeVee

PeeVee Senior IL'ite

DS also does the same..he plays a lot with it..he will take it to the mouth, then take it out and keep talking yay yay for sometime and takes back..sometimes i used to give him formula or water in it and he drinks..some other times he would start to push it away..dont know whether he likes it or not..neither my DH nor my Dad give him anything in it..so its my responsibility to make him used to that..so just a weekend program as I BF him once I am back home from work..He is still ok with BFing over bottle or sippy cup even after taking bottle during day time from 6wks!

Last edited: Feb 3, 2010
  3. mridusudha

mridusudha Silver IL'ite

Oh PeeVee,
    You are lucky..My DS prefers the bottle to breastfeeding..And he has been like that since 6-8 weeks...Anyways since his 2 teeth popped out @ 5 months, I stopped breastfeeding. He bit me so many times that now I am afraid of even trying..
    So totally pumping..I do supplement with formula though!
    How abt u? Do you pump?

4. PeeVee

PeeVee Senior IL'ite

I dont pump much now a days as i moved a little closer to work place..I was used to pump at midnight and afternoon brakes..now i stopped the midnight one and started BFing him around 7 am before i leave for work..then at 9 he takes formula..then soilds around 10.30..i BF him around 12.30 and then pump just enough for another feed..he take formula once or twice after that..give him oatmeal cereal aroun 5.30-6..good thing is that he doesn't have any teeth yet:)..sudha, when are you planning to put him on 3 times solids?..I am still having trouble with his pooping even after chaning all his diet with fiber rich and now his fluid intake is also better..dont know what to do next..should ask paed this week..

5. mridusudha

mridusudha Silver IL'ite

PeeVee,

Even DS is having trouble pooping..I do give him water, prune juice, prune & pears baby food but still he doesn't poop every day and even when he poops it's only little..So I don't know what to do..I know it's because of the solids..WIll ask Ped next week.

I think I will wait until he is 7-8 months old to give him 3 times solids...ANyways, will ask Ped next week and let you know..

Even you let me know once you talk to your Ped.

6. manjulats

manjulats Silver IL'ite

I too got the nuby sippy cup and my LO does drink on it.He drinks it like a bottle.I think it will take him some time to get used to it.Is the cup with 2/3 holes is a soft spout/hard spout?

Suman ,do you have the picture of avent soft spout and does it have 1 hole?Can you post the picture if you have one

7. loonypooh

loonypooh Silver IL'ite

ladies would like to share info about sippy cups and their use i got frm Dr sears/green and another site.

Tips and Tricks for introducing and/or transitioning your baby to a sippy cup
    [​IMG] Offer your baby the sippy cup as soon as baby is able to maintain a good tight grasp.

[​IMG] Choose a sippy cup that is light weight and easy for tiny hands to handle. The Avent "Avent Naturally Magic" cup is one that is highly recommended by parents.

[​IMG] Allow your baby to play with and explore the sippy cup - yes, even if it means baby bangs and tosses the sippy cup around.

[​IMG] Encourage your baby to hold the cup with 2 hands - a sippy cup with liquid in it may be too heavy for baby to hold & maneuver with one hand.

[​IMG] Show your baby how to use the sippy cup by example and help guide the sippy cup up to baby's mouth.

[​IMG] Water in the sippy cup is a great first liquid to add to the sippy cup. You may also add formula and/or breast milk. Formula and/or breast milk in a sippy cup however, may not entice your baby with the wonder and excitement of a totally new experience.

[​IMG] Many parents take introducing the sippy cup as an opportunity to introduce water and juice to their infants (see our article Juice for Your Baby and ALWAYS dilute juice if you choose to offer juice)

[​IMG] Offer the sippy cup during Snack time and/or between feedings.

[​IMG] Do NOT allow your infant or toddler to walk around the house all day with a sippy cup full of water, juice or formula.

[​IMG] Do not allow your infant or toddler to "fill up" with liquid from the sippy cup. Your baby still needs the nutrients from breast milk and/or formula and sippy time should not interfere.

8. loonypooh

loonypooh Silver IL'ite

How old should your baby be for introducing and/or transitioning to a sippy cup?

The question of when it is a good age to transition baby to a sippy cup and to have baby begin to use a sippy cup has many different answers. We gave our babies sippy cups from the time they started solids and had a pretty good grasp - around 6 months old. The sippy cup at that age was just to allow the babies to practice holding and moving the cup around. Getting your baby acquainted with a sippy cup is a good idea prior to transitioning your baby to using a sippy cup. Ensure that baby plays with the cup and does not attempt to whole-heartedly "drink" from it as gas from sucking in air may occur. Our babies began to actually drink liquids from a sippy cup around 9 months of age.

What do the "experts" say about introducing and/or transitioning to a sippy cup?

The American Academy of Family Physicians notes "the sippy cup should be introduced at six months of age in preparation for weaning from the bottle or breast at 12 months" and further states that "common contributing practices that contribute to infant and toddler tooth decay include the following: propped bottles containing sweetened liquids, frequent consumption of sweetened liquids from infant and toddler-size "sippy" cups, and frequent snacking."

The American Academy of Pediatrics states that you should "teach your child to drink from a cup as soon as possible, usually by 1 year of age. Drinking from a cup does not cause the liquid to collect around the teeth, and a cup cannot be taken to bed. If you are concerned that a cup may be messier than a bottle, especially when you are away from home, use one that has a snap-on lid with a straw or a special valve to prevent spilling."

9. loonypooh

loonypooh Silver IL'ite

we initially got her playtex first sipsters... and although it has been rated asd the best in the market on all sites, baby had hard time drawing any liquid.. she just plays with them now...i think these will be excellent sippies at around 8-9 months

for now i have the pigeon mag mag, very soft and flexible spout and BPA free... and thinking of starting her on it.she has so far had water n diluted prune juice from the sippy.. i think this pigeon mag mag is going to work. anybody used the avent magic cup?

[​IMG]
    its sitting packed in the box, have to sterilize it today, and will start.last one wk was a whole big mess when she totally rejected the breast, thanks to the liking she suddenly developed for bottles. :( so now we have stopped bottling her, atleast till i resume office again.
    btw, she WILL NOT take breastmilk or formula from the sippy... water/juice is fine!

Last edited: Mar 31, 2010
  10. lee50

lee50 Silver IL'ite

Poonam,

Soft spouts like the Nubies get you into the same wheel of feeding bottles. Its just a polite way of telling that I am off with bottles but it boils down to the same thing. I learnt that hard spout is best for weaning because of the texture it helps the baby to adjust to the cup. Best is cup.

We got Lenora used to having water in idli bowls and now she adjusts to any medium but the Nuby sippy soft spout. Again exceptions do exist, so I cannot generalise :)