1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

sippy cup recommendations for weaning from breast to cup

Discussion in 'Baby / Kids Foods' started by cooks2010, Jul 16, 2014.

1. cooks2010

cooks2010 Silver IL'ite

Hello, I would like to wean baby off of breastmilk slowly in the next 2 months (around 9-10 months). At the moment she is 7 months and feeds 3-4 times during day and 3-4 times at night (which I am in the process of slowly changing, as I feel she is just waking up to suckle...not hungry...but that is another story!!).

I was thinking of going to sippy cup instead of bottle...what are your thoughts, will this work? My doctor recommended starting bottle...she only tried few times when 2 months old.

She has an avent sippy cup, from which she sips water after each solid meal. Its ok, the lid seems to fall on her face every time she sips, she gnaws at it more then sucking or sipping, it also seems to leak where the valve is.

Can anyone recommend a good sippy cup?. I am thinking of starting with one feed with sippy cup and then after a week or so, move onto the next feed. if anyone has any other suggestions of weaning from breast to sippy cup...please do share.

thanks,
    Cooks.

2. cutemonster

cutemonster Platinum IL'ite

hi cooks
    i started directly with sippy cup and did not use bottle with my ds.
    actually i had to bottle feed him for sometime when he was few weeks old and i had supply issues but stopped it and then fully breast fed him only, i started milk in sippy cup at around 10.5 months.
    i had avent cup too, my ds liked it , i also had nuby sippy cup but somehow it leaked and then i brought playtex sippy cup and playtex staw cup. he loved straw cup more than sippy and now uses that only. i also got few staw cups from target , some cute fancy ones with duck , bear etc design which he likes.
    first give very little milk, like one ounce and then gradually increase.
    i had tried mothercare sippy cup in india and liked it but yet to find mother care in usa.

3. theoffice

theoffice Bronze IL'ite

4. cooks2010

cooks2010 Silver IL'ite

5. cooks2010

cooks2010 Silver IL'ite

thanks, I will check out the playtex one when go to target.

Cooks.

6. guesshoo

guesshoo IL Hall of Fame

Does this cup have a membrane inside the sipping spot and a plastic shield of sorts? I had a similar cup which was brilliant for water. Once the membrane is stretched properly, nothing will spill. The child has to suck the water out even if it is held upside down.

it might just be me, but I really wasn't happy with giving milk in a sippy cup. The cleaning either felt inadequate or too much hassle. The cup and it's bits seemed to smell of spoilt milk for ages despite several rounds of cleaning. I even tried cups with a straw attached. But threw them all out, settling for half a dozen good old bottles. Once my dd was about 15-16 mo, I brought in a doidy cup. Then swiftly switched to a normal cup with straw; moved to just a plain cup. These transitions happened within 2-3 months. I was lucky because my dd was excited by these changes which broke the monotony... And that helped getting her forget the bottle rather fast.

1 person likes this.
  7. cooks2010

cooks2010 Silver IL'ite

@ guesshoo: yes the cup has a plastic membrane, I will check to see how its stretched. I recently washed the cup, maybe I didnt assemble it correctly.

Regarding the sippy cup, i am planning a trip to India for her first birthday and would like to wean off the breast before I leave, otherwise I will have to do it once I am back.

I did try the bottle a few months back, wasnt that successful and then I thought I would have to go through weaning off the bottle. Yes, I can see that the sippy cup cleaning would be a hassle. Lets see how it goes, if it doesnt work out then I guess I will try the bottle again and see if she likes it.

I did check out the doidy cup, I like the idea of that for later on. Sometimes, it seems like a lot of work :), I just wonder how people used to manage when sippy cups or bottles werent around.

Cooks.

8. cooks2010

cooks2010 Silver IL'ite

@ cutemonste: thanks for the suggestion of giving a little bit of milk and then increasing, I will try that.

When you started giving bm in sippy cup did you substitute one feeding with the cup and then increase to other feeding. How did you manage the night time feedings, did you give a sippy cup for those too or did you continue the night time feedings and just gave sippy cup for the daytime feedings?

thanks,
    Cooks.

9. mriduna

mriduna Silver IL'ite

My suggestion would be to wean after India trip. I did that following my friend's experience and advice. Breastfeeding during flight take-off and landing helped avoid any ear pain due to pressure change. Also, as expected due to the change in weather (it was hot in December in Chennai for my DD who was born in the middle of a snow storm) and missing comfort zone, she did not eat solids properly so I heavily relied on BM for nourishment for her. My friend tried whole milk in India and then came back to whole milk in US and faced a lot of digestion issues for close to a month which was the main reason she recommended that I wean and start whole milk for my DD after we come back. Give it a thought...

10. cooks2010

cooks2010 Silver IL'ite

Thanks for your suggestion, you do have a good point. I was also feeling, maybe she will feel more comfortable if I BF when I am there, since its a new place. Lets see, if she gets used to the sippy cup ( I will be adding pumped milk into it) and she lets go of the breast then fine. Right now it doesnt seem like she will ever give up breastfeeding :), she just goes for it.

Cooks.