1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Single Parent in India-Children reside Abroad

Discussion in 'Parents & Siblings' started by cutesmile09, May 25, 2010.

1. cutesmile09

cutesmile09 Silver IL'ite

Hi,

I would like to know how are single parent(Male/Female) manage staying alone in India when their children reside abroad,As you all know, my dad passed away recently,me & my bro both stay abroad,right now my mom is living with my bro in USA and she will be returning back to India next month,So we are little bit worried abt her stay in India,Ladies Pls share your experiences in this regard.

Thank You

2. flowerlady

flowerlady IL Hall of Fame

My friends mom is staying alone though her grown up kids are in India but in different cities. She has very nice neighbours and friends who help her . They meet for coffee or tea everyday go for walks , knit, have kitty parties etc. She also has a maid to do the work .
    So far she is doing fine and the kids visit her once in a while.
    If your mom wants to live alone then she will get along on her own. Nowadays everybody wants to live independently with their own lifestyles ,even single parents.
    One of my uncles also lives alone after his wifes death though his son lives in the same city. Has a maid to do the housework and cook.

3. raha256

raha256 Bronze IL'ite

you hav'nt mentioned whether both of u are married or not.
    my suggestion depends on your marital status.

4. cutesmile09

Thanks for sharing ur experiences flowerlady,

me&my bro both r married raha

5. raha256

raha256 Bronze IL'ite

some of our friends parents stay with their childrens for few months and remaining period in India. one of my friends mom thought her childrens are in India stay alone. this decision actually depends on how well ur mom can manage things alone.

i asked the details becoz one of my relative is not married and her mom stays with her in US. she is a very good and very relaxed time with her mom. infact her friends are also enjoying a lot. this relative is in love with an Indian boy. they have decided not to send her mom back to India. this boy is also happy with her moms stay.

6. cutesmile09

Thanks raha for sharing ur experiences,actually we want to knw what arrangements we have to make so that she can leave peacefully without much trouble,For instance i have checked the option of making online money order through icicibank,so that amt will be delivered to her doorstep.I am looking for any other such alternatives..

7. flowerlady

Some banks also pay electricity bills and other payments on demand. Check with ICICI and ask about other similar services given to customers.
    Let your mom take care of small things on her own , it will make her feel good and useful unless she dislikes doing them.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2010
  8. cutesmile09

Yep,bills are taken care,electricity bill will be paid by our watchman and phone bill we will pay it online,just concerned abt security issues while hiring maids at home,any inputs ladies???

9. flowerlady

I hope your mom is living in an apartment where there is enough security and screening of visitors . Maids are a bit dicey but a part time one is safer as she does the work and goes.
    A live-in maid is not recommended as she has access to the home round the clock , may get visitors .
    It will be better to get the maid verified by police or hire one who works in other nearby houses.There are maid hiring agencies but maids have to be verified by police.
    Banks pay electricity bills too for the customer.
    A good network of friendly neighbours is highly recommended .