1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Singapore stopover holiday?

Discussion in 'General Discussions - USA & Canada' started by meenasenthil, Feb 19, 2010.

1. meenasenthil

meenasenthil New IL'ite

Hi

I'm going to india in june and was thinking of taking a short stop over in singapore and was thinking of using the singapore stop over holiday package offered by singapore airlines.
    Has any one of u, used it before?. Any recommendations, suggestions?
    Customs in india if I buy jewels in Singapore?

Thanks!
    Meena

2. writeme

writeme Silver IL'ite

How long are you planning to stay in Singapore? If you stop over is 10+ hours, Singapore airlines offer you complementary city tour for few hours. You'll have to visit the information center at the airport and register for the city tour and choose the next available/convenient slot. They'll take you through the city in bus, and also to a boat tour.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2010
  3. advitha

advitha Silver IL'ite

Writeme its not the same as the guided tour given by airport for temporary stopover. This is the whole city tour and stay, more like a holiday package.

meena, We need to book the hotels ourselves through one of the 2 packages they have shown (hotel + transfers or hotel, attraction and transfers). I'm not sure if you have to take a transit visa (I hope so). Check with SIA for details and I guess you need to mention that you are opting for this stopover holiday package when you talk to them or book your ticket. I'm thinking to take this if I have an option. Will let you know if I get more details on it.

-Uma

4. Nandshyam

Nandshyam IL Hall of Fame

I have no idea about the transit trip.. but can answer your purchase, customs question :) You can bring in 10Kgs of Gold. I did buy quite few gold ornaments and I was thru with no issues.. this was a decade ago.. but recently few months back, my friend did the same thing and she said she had no problem.

5. meenasenthil

meenasenthil New IL'ite

Wow, so many replies...:). Thank you all...

Here is the info I have so far.

I'm booking via singaporeair.com via multi stop option and I'm planning to stay for 2 nights. I called singapore airlines help line and I was told if the stay is over 24 hours ( mine is like 48 hours) I should checkout the checked in baggages and take them with me to the hotel I would stay. As Uma, mentioned I have to book one of the hotels from the 2 options the website provides.

I was kind of worried about the customs. Because from USA, we can carry 23 kgs per suitcase. But I think Singapore is about 20 kgs per package. I'm planning to buy some gold stuffs there.

Any inputs/ suggestions welcome. Will update once I have more information.