1. Looking for an Interesting Craft Project? : Plethora of Ideas
    Dismiss Notice

Simple Way To Hand-hem Skirt

Discussion in 'Sewing & Stitching' started by SuiDhaaga, Feb 7, 2022.

1. SuiDhaaga

SuiDhaaga IL Hall of Fame

I got long skirt I need to hem because I no longer wear heels and it touches floor.

I found great deal on maxi skirt, but I know it is too long for me

I found great tutorial on how to hem skirt, How to Hem a Skirt or Dress for a More Consistent (and Prettier) Hem Line

They say how to measure if you don’t have someone to measure skirt upwards.

They recommend adding ribbon on inside to give weight and contrast

And they say hand-sawing allows you to hide stitches and skirt will be special.

What do you think?

Tagging @sanjuruby3

2. sanjuruby3

sanjuruby3 Platinum IL'ite

what kind of skirt/fabric it is - satin/chiffon/wool/cotton? Fabric will make it harder or easy.
    1. Measure how much need to size up, say 1 inch - so you mark at .75 or .5 inch and cut it away. Use as many pins as you need. Having help is always good but not everyone has that. Same is my case. I just ballpark. I put it on, bend and put 1 pin where i feel needed. Then cut it little lower ( to be safe) It worked for me. Always cut bit lower than shorter.

2. then after cutting, run a stitch close to the edge.
    Note: You can do this before step 1. as well. First stitch then cut close to stitch. Infact it might be better, and like marker for u to cut. ( Or If you have lot of take up say 3 inches or so, cut a portion like 2 inches, run a stitch, then cut away rest .75 inches. 3 inches = 2.75 inches + rest will roll up in hem)

3. Now you decide what hem you want. Rolled hem, bias strip ( lot of bias tape), facing. It depends on skirt fabric, skirt type, skirt drape and can suggest better with skirt pic.

SuiDhaaga likes this.
  3. SuiDhaaga

SuiDhaaga IL Hall of Fame

Lot of great advice!

These skirts are wool blend.

I definitely cut less than needed!

When I work on particular skirt, I shall post pics.